Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What video game are you currently playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That'd be cool. Just depends on when. I work until 10 EST in the evenings most nights and won't be able to during the day because the kids will be yelling in my ears the entire time. I know a handful of people that play it on PS4.

As for what game I'm currently playing: God of War for PS4. I like it but I'm not super into it yet.
    "So I have to go back and fix myself, and take care of myself, and I have to go back and I have to find my smile because somewhere along the line I lost it and I don't care, really, I don't care if it's unpopular, and I don't care if, uh, people want to make fun of me because I'm an emotional guy."

Comment

• We should play it on a weekend sometime, maybe towards the end of this month? Still need practice. I played the hell out of the game this past weekend. Why did it take me two years to get around to it?

You probably have a lot of stories to tell. Personal favorite games?

Once died in under a minute. Not a good game, but memorable.

One game as Jason, I just screwed with the counselors. Did not kill a single one. I even let one of them (wearing a bunny outfit, no less) chase me around for a bit. Then proceeded to beat the shit out of their car. I'd stop the car, then walk away. When they started it up again, I warped back to the car and bashed it again. Time after time. It took all of the counselors a long time to realize that I wasn't going to kill any of them. It was mainly because the bunny lady got too bold hitting and chasing me, so I beat her nearly to death.

Another game as Jason, I killed everyone in under ten minutes. Best game to date.

Finally, my favorite game: Jason was the Tom Savini type (glowing eyes, fast, hard to kill, scary mofo). He had killed everybody but me, Tommy, and one other counselor. The two minute warning had gone off, so I jumped out the window of the cabin he was in, limped to another cabin and hid under a bed (severely injured at this point). I saw Jason's feet as he walked toward the bed and immediately, the "you survived" banner appeared. I could hear him stabbing the bed as the banner was still on screen. If the game had been just 5 seconds longer, I would have been killed as well. He managed to kill everybody else, including the last two counselors in the scant 90 seconds I hid under the bed.

Four things I haven't done:
      Been an active participant in killing Jason.
      Haven't died playing Jason (yet)
      Escaped by boat
      Figure out how to use the sweater. For the life of me, I've tried it three times and it hasn't worked.

My strategy as Jason really isn't original, but pretty effective. The first thing I do is warp, and put at least one trap next to, the phone box. Booby trap the blue car and one more if the yellow car is on the map. If somebody is in the open in the beginning, I will go after them. If I don't see any counselor for the first couple of minutes, I'll smash the doors to the shack with the phone. Try not to spend too much time beating on doors (wastes time when you can eventually rage crash through them), just knock out power, scare counselors, and pick them off one at a time. When I decide to go after a counselor, I'll usually stick with them to wear them down... try not to get distracted. Never grab Tommy as he always carries the pocket knife.

Honestly don't think Jason is too OP. A good counselor can window hop for a bit before they tire out. As Jason, it can be hard to catch anybody since he doesn't run very fast (or not at all). I'm no expert, by any means. It takes awhile to get a feel for the game. You have to find the right Jason and/or counselor to play. As part II Jason, I suck. Deadly with part VII Jason and pretty accurate throwing knives. Anyways, I'm still figuring the game out. It's like a strategy game; like chess or checkers, I could play this for years to come.

Comment

• Tonight I was able to:
        1. Use Jason's mom's sweater. That's two possessive nouns in a four word sentence.
        2. Escape by boat.

I was hoping some lackey had repaired the propeller, cause I carried a can of gas across the whole map. I was fortunate. Somebody finally did me a favor.

Also, just because you survive Jason's wrath doesn't mean you're the MVP or best player.

Was one of only 3 killed in a game, but I occupied his time for almost ten minutes. Gave a lot of counselors time to escape. I hopped from one shack to another, taking all his attention. He ended up killing me, but only after he spent just about all his time occupied with killing my ass. Unfortunately, no thank you cards were sent my way.

Comment

• Weekends would probably be best for me as I'm usually free Friday nights and Saturday nights after 10 PM.

I'm rusty as hell with the game but then again I wasn't particularly good at it, especially with Jason. I flat out suck as Jason and whenever I'd play online with friends I'd flat out refuse to play as Jason. As for counselors, I usually play as AJ Mason but am kind of a lone wolf in public games but will help people if they're near. I'm maxed out on PS4, level 150 so I basically just have CP to earn to roll better perks. Of course I'm more team oriented amongst friends.

It's still a fun game despite how repetitive it gets. I just wish we could get a few more maps or something. Would love Camp Forest Green and the area from The New Blood.
          "So I have to go back and fix myself, and take care of myself, and I have to go back and I have to find my smile because somewhere along the line I lost it and I don't care, really, I don't care if it's unpopular, and I don't care if, uh, people want to make fun of me because I'm an emotional guy."

Comment

• I'm with you there. I played it this weekend for like, 4 hours straight. Even though there are limited options/maps/items/etc. I keep finding out new things or see something new.

So, I repaired a boat by filling it up with gas AND attaching the propeller. Jason shows up 5 seconds later, knocks me into the water then drowns me. One minute later, another counselor took the boat into freedom.

I was Jason four times in my first 6 or 7 matches this past weekend. The first two times I killed nobody, although one counselor died on a trap I set next to the phone line. Another game I left one survivor and played cat and mouse with her for the last 10 minutes. I could have killed her at least once, but I grabbed her instead. I feel that, in all 3 cases I made their game experience memorable. I tried playing with one counselor in another game and they kept jumping through a broken window until they died. I STILL have not played a game where Jason lets people live.

I was run over by a car two games in a row, both times on purpose.

Now I'm playing the Castlevania Collection and Megaman Legacy Collection. Mega Man 1 is still hard as hell...

Comment

• I hate when people try to run other counselors over. Such bullshit. Once upon a time counselors could kill other counselors but the devs took that out, thank god. I think you can still do this in private matches though. I've been meaning to jump on and play but I've been going through some personal stuff with my family so that has killed a lot of my social interaction, online and in person. But that's a different story for a different time and a different thread.

I've been playing the hell out of Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition for PS4. Got the platinum trophy on it and am working on the DLC content. $11 well spent! Also got the platinum trophy on God of War. I ended up getting into it after awhile. Not the best game I've played but it's up there. I really enjoyed it.

Comment

• I played God of War a bit when it came out. It's pretty damn good.

PS4 has it all over the Xbox for exclusives. Horizon Zero Dawn, Until Dawn, and I've seen nothing but good things about Spider-man. I really liked Bloodborne; challenging, but not overly difficult. The gothic medieval setting is eerie and fantastic. The game really takes you to another world. The only hard copy games I own for my Xbox are RDR2 and Resident Evil 2. I may pick up a PS4 Pro when the price eventually drops, especially if Last of Us 2 lives up to the original.

Anybody else looking forward to the Contra collection? It has arcade, and both U.S./Japanese version of NES Contra. Super C (arcade & NES versions), Contra III (SNES), Hard Corps (Genesis), and Operation C. Should be coming out any day now...

It's hard to find time these days, work stuff. If I had a wife and kids... I don't know. I'm pretty selfish with my time.

Comment

• Spider-Man is pretty great. Also a very easy platinum trophy. Easily the best Spider-Man ever made and there are some good ones out there. I cannot wait until the inevitable sequel.

Horizon Zero Dawn is probably next on my playlist. I own the complete edition. I also have Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far and Persona 5 to play.

For anyone who has PS Plus, Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is free this month. Man, Borderlands 2 is one of the best FPS I've ever played and I'm not even a huge fan of that genre.

Comment

• I still remember playing Spider-man for the Atari 2600. You had to scale a building and get past the green goblin. The game play is simple; you just have to shoot webs to go higher. You fall whenever the web hits a window or open space.

Currently playing Mega Man 9.

Comment

• Haha I remember playing that as a kid. Video games have come a long way since then. Haha.

I love old commercials like that one. Reminds me of one my favorites with Spidey as a kid. I also remember seeing this commercial at the beginning of my Pryde of the X-Men VHS tape along with commercials for a few Spider-Man games from the early 1990s.

Comment

• Said Spider-Man video games commercial. Wave of nostalgia!

Comment

• A friend of mine bought Spider-man for the Sega Genesis back in '91. I was blown away by the graphics. It was right around this time that the arcade game was released as well. It was a lot like the Avengers arcade game (both 4-player beat 'em ups). A few years later it was on sale for $750.00, as the arcade was going out of business.

In related news, TMNT is getting a 1UP arcade release. It's 4-players and has the same cabinet art as the original arcade game. Also included is Turtles in Time. If you've played this game back in the day, that artwork is definitely familiar. The original arcade game was $4000 around '89-'90, the 1up version is $350.

I could see picking up the TMNT game, if only it included "The Simpsons" as well. Hell, put in their wrestling game "The Main Event" or "Crime Fighters" (this one is a beat 'em up, but with Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, and Leatherface knock-offs as bosses.

Comment

• I'd strongly recommend against those Arcade1Up cabinets. Cheap controls, bad speakers, ancient LCD designs with terrible viewing angles, and they don't use any CRT shaders in their emulation so the graphics will look awful.

Also, I think those arcade beat 'em ups have aged terribly, especially in the home. I have both TMNT games as well as The Simpsons running on my Alpha-Cade cab and they get boring after about five minutes. With infinite credits at your disposal you can just play through and beat them the first time and since they don't really offer anything beyond mindless button mashing there isn't much replay value once the nostalgia wears off. Though I will say Ninja Baseball Bat Man is kind of an exception. Gameplay is standard beat 'em up stuff but the design is just so batshit crazy that it's keeping me entertained so far.

I have about 200 games on my machine right now but I'm always adding new titles as I discover them and removing others that I'm not playing as much to keep it fresh. For the most part I find that I don't play the games I grew up playing that much. It's the games that I'm just discovering that get most of my attention. Really into Gorf, Time Pilot, and Jr Pacman right now. Also loving a lot of the old games that used vector monitors. Battlezone and Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator have quickly become favorites.

Comment

• I LOVE Time Pilot. If I ever build an arcade cabinet or buy one, that is a definite must. I played Gorf last year at The Galloping Ghost. Jr Pacman is challenging unless you play the sped up version; the extra power pellets don't give you much of an edge since the stage is about 3 times the size of pac-man and the bouncing toys (formerly fruit) destroy them on contact. There was also a "Baby Pac Man" game, from what I remember it was a cross between a video game and a pinball machine. Namco (or Williams?) was trying something new.

Never heard of Ninja Baseball Bat Man.

The 1ups at the local Wal-Mart are unplayable; the joysticks were ripped out after the first week. I guess $300 only gets you so far. My biggest complaint with the 1ups is the lack of games. Instead of 2, 3, or 4 games, why not 200, 300, or 400? There's so much more potential. Add a couple hundred bucks to the price, up the quality and games. I haven't picked one up yet, but

I agree with The Simpsons game, it does get boring fairly quickly at around the second stage if you play alone. However, with 3 other players it is a blast (IMO).

Have you tried the Star Wars Arcade game from the early 80s? Classic vector game.

Comment

• I haven't tried Star Wars, well not really anyway. My one complaint about my cabinet is that it's just 8 way joysticks and buttons so some games with unique controls can't be emulated properly (I'm looking at you, Atari). I did load Star Wars to look at it and it was just unplayable with regular joysticks. I saw Arcade1Up actually announced a Star Wars cab today. It's going to be a lot more expensive than their regular games but I'm very skeptical that they can deliver an analog flight yoke for $500, or at least one that won't break in two hours. From what I've seen, the majority of people buying the Arcade1Ups seem to be buying them to mod. They swap out the controls for better ones and replace the internals with a Raspberry Pi to add more games. To me, once you've done all that you've almost spent enough to buy an Alpha-Cade and it still won't be as nice.

I played Baby Pac Man once when I was a kid. I had never played pinball before so I got destroyed fairly quickly and never saw another machine after that. JR Pacman is just insanely hard to me. I end up rage quitting that game pretty much every night, haha. But nearly all of these arcade games are brutally hard. They want quarters and they don't care how they get them. I've been thinking about picking up another Raspberry Pi (they're super cheap) and putting together a dedicated console emulator just so I can play games that I can actually win at. I could add them to the Alpha-Cade of course, but it would feel weird playing Atari 2600 or SNES games on an arcade cabinet. Better to just make a separate system so I can play them on the tv the way they were intended.

LOL, Ninja Baseball Bat Man. Seriously, just look at this thing. I nearly lost it the first time I saw baseball bats holding baseball bats.

Comment

Working...
                                X