Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What video game are you currently playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got around to beating Star Wars Battlefront II's campaign on Xbox One. I don't know what the general consensus is on it but I thought it was pretty sweet, albeit short but I don't mind. Before that I finished Red Dead Redemption II's story. That was 65 hours well spent; really, really good story. Presently I'm casually walking through L.A. Noire again, this time I'm playing the Xbox One remaster.
    "We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all." -- Andrew Clark, The Breakfast Club (1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey View Post
      Just beat Zelda, A Link to the Past. Rocking that SNES classic. What's this 'randomizer' you speak of? Is that a virtual console thing? PC?
      Here's the link to the randomizer. You download a copy of the Japanese game rom and then download a file that has the randomly generated material.

The basic version of it is that all items you obtain through characters, bosses, and chests are randomized. For example, when you find your dying uncle in the underground passage, he normally gives you the sword and shield. In randomizer, it's usually something else like the fire rod or maybe the Cane of Somaria (the one that makes the orange blocks). In the village, you might find the lamp and gloves so your first destination may be Death Mountain instead of heading over to the Eastern Palace. Item placement being randomized means doing everything out of the normal game sequence. For example, you might not need to collect the pendants to draw out the sword from the pedestal (that item is also randomized so it's likely not a sword upgrade anyway) or probably won't have to go and fight the wizard in the light world. It makes each game feel like you're playing it for the first time.

There are additional options as well such as dungeon randomizer (changing the locations of the dungeons), boss randomizers, and key randomizers. That last one takes all the dungeon keys (big and small keys) and moves them around. You might find the big key for the Swamp Palace in the Desert Palace, for example.

I usually stick with the basic randomizer version it's been a blast as each game is a new experience. I usually can finish a game around 1 hour and 30 minutes so I'm improving, but sometimes I get an item and think the game is telling me to go one location when it's not so I spend more time.

Here's a video by ALG Andy. Check out a few minutes of it to see it all in action.

Last edited by Chex; 01-06-2019, 05:30 AM.
      People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

I ordered an Alpha-Cade. It should be here in a couple weeks or so. Can't wait.

Comment

Sweet! I saw Cinemassacre put out a video on these and they seem like a great option if you don't want to put down the major bucks for a standard arcade cabinet.

I always thought if I had the money, I'd go for a pinball game like The Twilight Zone or A Nightmare on Elm Street games from ballyhoo.
          People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

I think Cinemassacre did a video on the Arcade1up cabinets. They look neat but I've read they're kind of junk. Did they review the Alpha-Cade too? I'm excited about it getting here. I've never used a Raspberry Pi before so I suspect it will take awhile to get everything set up completely.

Yeah, I'd love to have a pinball machine too. The problem is I've heard even if you can afford one it's hard to keep them running. The place I ordered the Alpha-Cade from sells virtual pinball machines too, but that's obviously not the same thing and still too expensive for me at any rate,

Comment

You're right! It was the Arcade1up cabinets I'm thinking of. The Alpha-Cade's look to be a major upgrade over those.

That's what I've also heard. The maintenance on pinball machines can be costly.

Comment

Mainly been playing happy wheels game in pro mode lately, it's surprisingly fun.
                Be the best version of you!

Comment

Finally slowing down on the Resident Evil 2 remake for PS4. I got an S rank in Standard with Leon so that enables me to use an infinite ammo Samurai Edge. Handy when it takes multiple headshots to take down one zombie. Game is phenomenal though.
                  "So I have to go back and fix myself, and take care of myself, and I have to go back and I have to find my smile because somewhere along the line I lost it and I don't care, really, I don't care if it's unpopular, and I don't care if, uh, people want to make fun of me because I'm an emotional guy."

Comment

Played a little bit of it at a friend's house and I love how it's the antithesis to the original version. In the 98 game, you had so much ammunition in it. The updated game really makes you work at just avoiding zombies if at all possible. I checked out some of the B scenario and I'm confused as it's a mixture of an arranged mode than anything and a "here's what the other character was up to." They somehow made Irons more of a creep. I didn't think that was possible.

Comment

• That and Mr. X always up your ass. At first I was like "fuck this" but he's easy to avoid and lead away. Still annoying though!

Yeah, I didn't think it was possible to make Irons any more of a creep either! Seems like he went down quicker in this than he did the original but I haven't played it in probably 15 years. I have the PSone Classic of it on my Vita/PS3 so I may revisit it.

I really hope they remake Nemesis!
                      "So I have to go back and fix myself, and take care of myself, and I have to go back and I have to find my smile because somewhere along the line I lost it and I don't care, really, I don't care if it's unpopular, and I don't care if, uh, people want to make fun of me because I'm an emotional guy."

Comment

• I love what they did with Mr. X! Hearing those stomping sounds, him slapping zombies that are in his way, and creating an added level of suspense is far better here than in the original. I'm looking forward to what they do with Nemesis which, supposedly, Capcom is working on already.

What I do miss about Irons is his crazed rants like "everyone is gonna die!" and his monologue about taxidermy. Oh well, at least the mayor's daughter can survive in that what-if scenario they released.

Comment

• Unless I miss something the mayor's daughter wasn't really even mentioned or barely shown aside from the Ghost Survivors segment where she was trying to get back to love, Ben. Haha.

Nemesis is going to be Mr. X amped up to 11....with a rocket launcher. Ssssstaaaaaars.

Comment

• I've gone through RE2 four times now.

The OTS view reminds me of RE4 and the way you interact with items and the environment is just like RE7.

The realism is amazing. The zombies look and act exactly how I would picture them to in real life. I enjoyed the original game, but looking at how everything moves and feels, I can't help but wonder how easy it must have been (comparatively speaking) to make the original RE2 to this game. It's been so long since the original release, so my memory is fuzzy. SPOILERI completely forgot about the police chief being a psychopath

My favorite part is the Mr. X encounters, especially in the B scenario (where he walks and moves even faster). I'm not sure if the game is worth $60. It seems a little too short; a level between the sewers and the labs would have been ideal. Also, not much changes depending on who you play as.

The original RE2 soundtrack can be purchased for $3. It's what I'm using on my latest play through.

Comment

• It is relatively short. I've seen people beat it on hardcore mode in less than two hours. I don't know how that's humaIly possible. I did a speed run through standard in a little less than three hours because I wanted that Samurai Edge. But normally it took me about 6-9 hours depending on me just taking my time and enjoying the view(and killing shit). I've played through five times, I believe.

I think it's because of the RE Engine that things are like RE7, definitely with unlocking doors, picking up items, puzzles, etc. Speaking of RE7, I've been seeing a lot of people trash on it as of late. From what I remember when it came out, people loved it. Must be cool to hate it now. I thought it was phenomenal and probably the craziest RE game to date. Needed a bit more variety with enemies though. It was a breath of fresh air after the subpar RE6.

I love that you can do a soundtrack swap and hear the OST to the original RE2. One of my favorite game OSTs ever.

Comment

• The same thing happened to RE4. Regarding controls, it was a monumental shift and improvement in the old tank scheme from the original games. RE4 was initially praised for reviving the series with the controls and graphics . On the flip side, the focus of the game started veering toward action with subsequent releases 5 & 6. In this way, I compare it to the Evil Dead series. I've beaten 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and Code Veronica. I skipped RE6 in favor of "The Evil Within."

I know a lot of people out there wanted the new RE2 game to have the static backgrounds as well, but I think that style of presentation was more of a necessity than design. You can compare the original 3 RE games to Silent Hill and see why they chose graphics over a fully-immersive 3D world. It's likely that the series will go back to the over the shoulder view, maybe... maybe first person. Tank controls will probably never return.

I'd have to play through the game a few more times to try and get to your time, honestly. My first two playthroughs were with Claire A & Leon B. Did you notice a jump in difficulty on the B scenario? I felt like I had to scrounge every round and herb I could. On the very last boss, I used all the ammo I had and luckily killed it with my final pistol round. I'm not sure if this is by design or extreme luck. On subsequent playthroughs, I put it on easy/assisted mode just so I could get a mindless, no strategy game.

I enjoyed playing RE7. It took us back to the series' roots. Though the enemies are not especially diverse, the family/bosses were challenging and the locations were incredibly immersive. I downloaded the demo; I'm not sure if you played the demo and/or game; it takes place in the same guest house, but everything inside was drastically changed. It served as a red herring or bait and switch. The experience is enhanced by the PS4 VR, but that method gave me motion sickness and it was hard to control. I had to abandon it for the more traditional TV approach.

Hopefully Nemesis will come out in less than two years. Hopefully that game will sell incredibly well and we'll get a remake of RE4 on the next generation of consoles. RE4 is probably my favorite game of all time. I just purchased it for the 3rd time (Gamecube, PS4, and now XBOX One). I bought an XBOX One a couple weeks back, because all of my consoles are in storage 2,500 miles away.

I'm not sure how people can get an S+ rating on hard or get through the game so quickly. You have to go for the bare minimum items and skip a lot of shit. You can get some more types of unlimited weapons that way, but that's like the rich getting richer. Give the best weapons to the people who need it the least. There are people who beat the original Playstation RE1 game only using the knife!

Have you played 4th survivor yet? I haven't figured out how you beat that scenario. Are you just trying to escape? I got my ass handed to me on my only attempt.

Comment

Working...
                                X