No announcement yet.

Star Wars and Star Trek

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always been a Star Wars person. I'm not big into Star Trek but I do dig TNG.

My favorite Star Wars flick is The Return of the Jedi and I still get crap for it. Meh.

Out of the newer releases, my favorite is Rogue One. I loved it quite a bit. Also loved The Last Jedi slightly more than The Force Awakens. I can see why people aren't into The Last Jedi but the hatred of this film makes me literally laugh out loud. People are out there saying it's the worst Star Wars movie ever made and even say it's worse than the Ewoks movies and Star Wars Holiday Special. A bit dramatic, me thinks.

I've yet to see Solo but will check it out when it hits Redbox or something. I'm sure I'll end up buying it since I usually buy the Star Wars blus when they hit even though my huge movie collecting days are over with. I hear Clint Howard has a role so that automatically makes it amazing.
    "So I have to go back and fix myself, and take care of myself, and I have to go back and I have to find my smile because somewhere along the line I lost it and I don't care, really, I don't care if it's unpopular, and I don't care if, uh, people want to make fun of me because I'm an emotional guy."

Comment

My favorite of the newest releases is Rogue One as well. The original trilogy is where most of the nostalgia and love comes from, and Rogue one is the only movie to be set around the same time period so far. I've never seen Solo, but will eventually watch once it hits Netflix.

The Last Jedi is fairly boring. Snoke is killed off unceremoniously. No explanation/exposition of his background or how he rose to power. He just dies. Luke was optimistic and ready to change a Sith Lord to one who struggles with murdering somebody in his sleep. He believed he could change his father back to the good side, but was ready to kill off Kylo so quickly and dismissively? He just tosses the light sabre over his shoulder. He just seems out of character, and why did he have to die? Rey is simply amazing at everything she does. Flies the Falcon once and is able to figure out what is wrong with it over the man who's been piloting it for years. I expect when Yoda's ghost force appears again, she's going to school him on the ways of the force. It's almost as if Rey is the one who would bring balance to dark and light sides.

Disney was relying on the Star Wars brand alone to make money, I think. Expectations are higher. People hold the original trilogy in such high regard that they may overlook any faults it had and nitpick anything about the new movies. Marvel is killing at the box office. The people at Marvel Studios make exciting, fun movies. Star Wars fans expect more. I don't know if you can recapture that magic after so many years.

I've seen every live action Star Wars movie in the theater except for Solo. If Episode IX gets a lot of good buzz and people like it (or the trailer makes the movie intriguing), I'll go see it in the theaters. No matter how much I love a franchise, they can't all be winners. Sometimes we stumble. No need to kill off any intent to go to the theater because of one movie. I didn't care for The Last Jedi and was never really interested in Solo, but I've decided to not get butt hurt over one flick. If I think episode IX will be good, I'll go see it.

The same can be said about Star Trek. I think people just have such unrealistic expectations for both franchises. Have these series been around too long? Are the fans impossible to please? I don't know.

Clint Howard appeared in Star Trek; I had no idea he was in Solo.

Comment

Rogue One is such a bleak movie too. Very powerful ending. Absolutely loved the cast. I thought Donnie Yen being in a Star Wars movie would be kinda odd but I really enjoyed his character.
        "So I have to go back and fix myself, and take care of myself, and I have to go back and I have to find my smile because somewhere along the line I lost it and I don't care, really, I don't care if it's unpopular, and I don't care if, uh, people want to make fun of me because I'm an emotional guy."

Comment

I haven't seen Solo, but I'd say Rogue One is my favorite out of the new batch even with creepy CGI Peter Cushing. Force Awakens was alright as a setup to a new set of adventures and characters for a new generation. The Last Jedi felt like it wanted to shake up everything, but became impotent just before it could pull the trigger.
          People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Watched the episode "Space Seed" followed by Wrath of Kahn. Fun way to kill an afternoon. I forgot Chekhov wasn't even on the show yet during "Space Seed" yet Kahn recognizes him instantly. Also, Kirk is such a dick for not even bothering to inform Star Fleet to check in on Kahn and his gang. I'm assuming he never bothered or else he dumped all the responsibility on Star Fleet's administration and never gave it a second thought.

I thought about following it up with The Search for Spock, but man, I just don't dig it. Everything from the story, to the Gilligan's Island-looking sets, to Reverend Jim the Klingon all fall short.
            People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

There really is something to the numbering of the original Star Trek movies. Even numbered movies = good. Odd numbered movies... not so much.

Wrath of Khan is the most popular, The Voyage Home is my favorite, and The Undiscovered Country was a great conclusion.

Comment

Working...
              X