Aloha, Bobby and Rose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha, Bobby and Rose

Bobby and Rose, two youngsters who are in love, have to run away from home when they are falsely accused to have committed a robbery and an assassination.
    Starring Paul Le Mat (American Graffiti), Dianne Hull (Christmas Evil, Girls on the Road) and an appearance by Robert Carradine (The Pom Pom Girls and some movie about nerds taking revenge) with a bitchin' sound track by Stevie Wonder, Elton John, The Temptations, and Emerson Lake and Palmer. And it has the required shots of the L.A. strip complete with a cruisin' montage. What's not to love? It hits all the notes, but not as well as it should. It's missing those exploitation elements and feels a little soft in spite of the darker material that you would find in similar movies like American Graffiti and Van Nuys Blvd. It doesn't help that Le Mat's acting is flimsy. He tries to come off as cool and funny, but it falls flat. The man looks good behind a wheel, but once his mouth opens, it's downhill. The other factor is how guilty Bobby and Rose are of destroying two people's lives. The synopsis above is accurate, but they helped commit murder. The first half of the story is all about living life behind the wheel and having a good time. Then after the murder, the movie takes a hard turn into a getaway story about two people who should pay for their mistakes and become difficult to fully sympathize with. I'm glad I've now seen it and I'm sure I'll watch it again, but it won't be my first choice when it comes to seeing a slice-o-life picture about teenage / early adult life in California with muscle cars.
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."
Working...
X