Welcome to Twin Peaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to Twin Peaks

Rather than clog up that other topic, I figured it was time for an official Twin Peaks discussion topic. If you've never seen it, the only way I can describe it is as a soap opera parody with horror elements. Or if you're familiar with David Lynch, then just think of Lynch creating a soap opera as that's exactly it. It's hilarious yet weird all at the same time.

I'm currently re-watching the show before watching Fire Walk with Me and season 3 for the first time and have about 10 episodes left of season 2. Major Briggs just returned from his abduction, Bobby is working for Ben Horne, Nadine is wrestling with Mike Nelson (sadly, he has no robot friends), James is as dull as ever, Clarence Williams III and Peggy Lipton created a Mod Squad reunion, Dan O'Herlihy showed up to wish Catherine a Happy Halloween, and Cooper is working with David Duchovny in drag to absolve him of drug trafficking crimes. Is it a coincidence that when Scully's dad vanishes into a white light after coming into contact with aliens that Mulder shows up? This is often considered the low point of the show as the captivating murder / mystery of Laura Palmer has been solved. Maybe it's because I've seen this and know what to expect, but I'm having a blast. There's still some mystery about the white and black lodges and the characters (except "mailbox head" James) are entertaining. I got a chuckle when the school principal mentioned how Nadine is 35 and she wouldn't fit in yet Sherilyn Fenn was around 32 at the time.

As a side comment, whomever made the menus for the blu-ray set deserves an award. I love how they're theme-based like the one about pie.

I welcome any and all discussion, but do ask that anything about the film or season 3 be placed in spoilers for my sake.
    Last edited by Chex; 03-21-2018, 06:01 PM.
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

So when do you think you'll be done with Season 2? Maybe a month? I'm much more interested in hearing your thoughts on what comes later...

Click image for larger version

Name:	iXNRtD2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1149

Comment

I loved this show when I fially got around to watching it in 2016. Although there's something awfully dark about it I always found the tone kinda happy. Solving the Palmer murder was very much the turning point for me, I think the show at that point tried to expand too far beyond its quaint little remit and sacrificed some of the 'feel'.

Also, while helping my parents move I came across what may be the most 90's thing ever: a cassette dubbed with the Twin Peaks soundtrack:

Name:	20180322_184039.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1154

Comment

Originally posted by sickboy View Post
        I loved this show when I fially got around to watching it in 2016. Although there's something awfully dark about it I always found the tone kinda happy. Solving the Palmer murder was very much the turning point for me, I think the show at that point tried to expand too far beyond its quaint little remit and sacrificed some of the 'feel'.
        The problem was her murder was never intended to be solved. The network pretty much forced them to resolve it and they didn't have anywhere left to go after that. Ultimately, I think things worked out for the best because it led to FWWM and Season 3 (both of which I like better than anything that came before), but yeah, that decision killed the show dead.

Comment

Originally posted by sagittarius View Post
          So when do you think you'll be done with Season 2? Maybe a month? I'm much more interested in hearing your thoughts on what comes later...

Click image for larger version  Name:	iXNRtD2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	47.2 KB ID:	1149
          I think we have eight episodes left (maybe seven) so probably two weeks for those. Then I'm going to go back through the discs and watch all of the special features. That could take up to a week as I've got two papers to work on around that time. When it comes to the movie and season 3, I'll go ahead and watch those on my own ahead of time and then re-watch them later with her. I can't wait to finally see the movie, the "missing pieces" and then season 3.

I'm so sure the show would have been much different if Laura's murderer wasn't revealed. You'd still be stuck with the goofy scenarios with the townspeople. As much as I'm still really enjoying it (David Warner just showed up), it's more of a strange comedy. Except mailbox head James' plot. I guess there's suspense there. Anyway, the stories don't have the same pull as the plots which revolve around Cooper.

Oh, I just realized that Robyn Lively (the sex kitten who slept with the mayor's brother and gave him a heart attack) is the lead from Teen Witch and the love interest in The Karate Kid Part III.
          Last edited by Chex; 03-23-2018, 06:57 PM.
          People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Originally posted by Chex View Post

I think we have eight episodes left (maybe seven) so probably two weeks for those. Then I'm going to go back through the discs and watch all of the special features. That could take up to a week as I've got two papers to work on around that time. When it comes to the movie and season 3, I'll go ahead and watch those on my own ahead of time and then re-watch them later with her. I can't wait to finally see the movie, the "missing pieces" and then season 3.
            I have to recommend picking up the Criterion disc for FWWM and the Missing Pieces. The one in the box has some sync problems. Criterion also has a lossless track for the theatrical 2.0 surround mix and that mix is incredible. The packaging is gorgeous too if you care about such things.

Originally posted by Chex View Post
            I'm so sure the show would have been much different if Laura's murderer wasn't revealed. You'd still be stuck with the goofy scenarios with the townspeople. As much as I'm still really enjoying it (David Warner just showed up), it's more of a strange comedy. Except mailbox head James' plot. I guess there's suspense there. Anyway, the stories don't have the same pull as the plots which revolve around Cooper.
            The difference would have been that had they not solved Laura's murder, Lynch wouldn't have lost interest and split. You can't underestimate how damning his absence was.

The only spoiler here is Laura's killer btw: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...aks-season-two

Comment

I have to recommend picking up the Criterion disc for FWWM and the Missing Pieces. The one in the box has some sync problems. Criterion also has a lossless track for the theatrical 2.0 surround mix and that mix is incredible. The packaging is gorgeous too if you care about such things.
              I may do that down the road. I heard some of the episodes had sync problems as well, but I haven't encountered any issues. I got the UK release though so maybe that has something to do with it. Or not.

The difference would have been that had they not solved Laura's murder, Lynch wouldn't have lost interest and split. You can't underestimate how damning his absence was.
              His thoughts seem to echo many of the fans. I thought he had to split though to film something else at the time. I can understand what he means by saying it's silly. From what I know of Fire Walk with Me and of the tone of season 3, it all seems to match with the serious moments of the series and not the campy plots of the towns folk.

Comment

Right. For better or worse, your perception of Twin Peaks is going to drastically change with Fire Walk With Me. There's nothing resembling a campy soap opera from that point on.

Comment

Originally posted by sickboy View Post

Also, while helping my parents move I came across what may be the most 90's thing ever: a cassette dubbed with the Twin Peaks soundtrack:

Name:	20180322_184039.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1154
                  Sorry im late on this but did it include the 1992 Moby - Go track? Strangely enough I have never seen Twin Peaks but I have heard this Moby tune is used at some point in it. This track was on so many mix tapes done in the early 90’s.

Comment

Down to three episodes. I forgot Billy Zane and Heather Graham pop up. Hell, I've forgotten so much it seems. Like the Miss Twin Peaks pageant, Leostein as Windom's servant, Gordon and Shelly having a thing, and so on. I do remember Josie's soul getting stuck in the knob of a dresser though. I have no clue if anything comes of it. Anyway, season 2 should be wrapped up this week along with the massive amount of extras. The movie may possibly be next weekend then followed by the Missing Pieces. Then, finally, season 3!

Comment

The first time I saw FWWM, I ended up watching it every night for two weeks straight. Looking forward to seeing your impressions!

Comment

The pressure is on! Out of curiosity, does Michael J. Anderson appear in it?

Comment

Yes, he does.

Also, play this movie LOUD. Trust me on this.

Comment

I forgot how awesome the season 2 finale is with the black lodge, Bob, evil doppelgangers, screaming Laura Palmers, exploding Andrews (possibly with Pete and Audrey). Why has Josie Packard been appearing in the opening credits these last few episodes? One thing I was let down upon during this re-watch is Windom Earle. I remember him being more of a threat, but he's actually just a hovering presence and does very little. I'm still not entirely sure about the sequence where he appears as a ghoul. Since the POV is from Leo's eyes, maybe that's how Leo sees him. Then again, perhaps it's part of Windom's bag of tricks like the hypnosis he uses on Annie. Oh well. The ending didn't sting nearly as much considering there's now a third season although I'm expecting some resolutions.

Something that crossed my mind is Audrey. The character is 18 yet Sherilyn Fenn is 28. 25 years later makes the character 43 while the actress is 53....she's going to be the oldest looking 40-year-old. >_<

Comment

Fire Walk with Me
                              I just finished this so my thoughts are jumbled so I'm going to just throw down what comes to mind.

-I honestly was not sure about this movie until the shot of the town sign and the signature theme song kick in. Nothing against Agent Chester, but it didn't totally click with me full. Like his story and the characters were almost there, but still short of the finish line.

-From my understanding, two other films were going to be produced involving Chester and Jeffries (the David Bowie character) and their stories involving the Black Lodge. That's a shame both characters are left hanging.

-Cooper and his connection to Laura as he describes her to Albert is weird and seems to go against his introduction on the show. In the film, he knows of her without knowing her name, but in the show he's just an agent doing his duty who happens to be assigned to the murder.

-Awesome how it connects back to Teresa Banks and sets up her connection to Ronette and Laura.

-More Bob-possessed Leland was a nice surprise such as him murdering Teresa.

-Is it wrong that I found Moira Kelly as a more likable Donna than Boyle?

-I really did not care for Donna following Laura to the Roadhouse and later to the Canadian version of the "red room", getting drugged, and letting herself go. In the show, she was oblivious to Laura's actions and for Donna to be privy to this undermined that. Sure, she conveniently forgets, but then there's little reason for it to happen. I guess an argument could be made that it sets up Donna's rebellious streak later on.

-Holy shit, James showed emotions! In fact, he's damn sympathetic here!

-This is truly the Laura Palmer movie. You already got the sense of how doomed she was in the show, that she understood she was likely to die, how she was haunted by Bob, the realization of her father as her killer and tried to numb the pain (and truth) through sex and drugs. It's a totally different manner when you see it all happening and Lee sold it beautifully with her performance.

-I'm so glad the old woman with the grandson returned as you get more of an understanding as to what they're about...I guess.

-Annie appearing was unexpected. Unless I'm not remembering correctly, Laura never wrote anything in her diaries about Cooper being stuck in the Black Lodge. So then what's the point of having Annie appear to tell her to write it down? At least it's another example of the present and future colliding with one another.

I know there's more, but my mind is trying to process everything still. I'm going to try and watch the Missing Pieces, Between Two Worlds, and Moving Between Time extras tomorrow. Maybe those may shed some light on things.

Oh, and the Black Dog is running.

Comment

Working...
                              X