No announcement yet.

2018 horror movie challenge -- preparations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here. In 2009 I watched a grand total of 7 horror movies.

Comment

Since this is in the movie chat board, maybe some folks around here would like to set up a few movie / chat times for next month.
      People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Because of my hectic schedule, I will try to post here one day earlier to let folks know I am in chat.

I am really interested in watching horror movies from the last decade: Saw II-IV, Hostel, and the like. I want to gain a better knowledge of the genre as seen through the lens of the years 2000-2010.

Comment

I'm down for a movie chat or two.
          Saturday, 6 October (evening): As Above, So Below
          Saturday, 13 October (evening): The Babysitter

Both movies are on Netflix; it seems a lot of people have that service these days. I haven't seen either movie. Leaving the times open for now for anybody's schedule who would like to join & chat.

I plan on getting Shudder by the end of the month as well. It's an excellent horror movie service.

Comment

Just woken from hibernation... must be nearly October again.

Originally posted by Monkey View Post
            Maybe Towelman will finally break 100 this year.... (if he's around).
            I've been summoned! I hope you didn't say my name in front of a mirror five times.

Comment

If you have a coat that's just as pimpin' as Tony Todd's, I'll summon you just to find out where you got it.
              People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Originally posted by Chex View Post
                If you have a coat that's just as pimpin' as Tony Todd's, I'll summon you just to find out where you got it.
                Damn. When we were in chat one day, Natman shared a pretty cool story about Tony Todd. Apparently, Natman was at a horror convention. It happened to be Halloween and Tony Todd was there, handing out candy. He gave Natman some.

Getting candy from The Candyman on Halloween? Priceless.

Comment

I got Ken Foree's business card once when I was at a convention. I have no idea why he gave it to me. I guess I need to get to calling him up some time and see if he wants to go chug some hot sauce.

Comment

Damn. When we were in chat one day, Natman shared a pretty cool story about Tony Todd. Apparently, Natman was at a horror convention. It happened to be Halloween and Tony Todd was there, handing out candy. He gave Natman some.

Getting candy from The Candyman on Halloween? Priceless.
                    I remember that. I think it was in 2015.

MEMO:

This is the unofficial Horror Movie Challenge Thread. It's almost October. I would like to participate and watch the minimum of 13 movies and write brief reviews (if I have the time).

Can someone please create the official thread with the official rules? If the rules have been forgotten, feel free to can create new ones, as long as we have an official thread.

Comment

I've never officially participated in the Horror Movie Challenge before but I think I shall this year. Probably going to do the basic challenge of 13 & try for 31 but I'll most likely fall short of the latter. Definitely not going to even try to go big. I'm still astonished at the numbers some have gotten in the past.

Edit test.
                      Last edited by ChildrenoftheDamned; 09-29-2018, 05:03 AM.
                      "We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all." -- Andrew Clark, The Breakfast Club (1985)

Comment

I always try, and fail. So of course I'll try again. And this year. Succeed. Or Suck seed. Whatever.

Comment

Count me in. Going for 31 this year, as usual.

I seem to remember that 2 of the viewings had to be new flicks - am I wrong about that?

Comment

If it's ok, I'd like to submit a challenge called The History of Horror. The goal is to watch one move from every decade starting from 1890 and ending in 2010. That would mean a total of 13 films, one for each decade. You can find a list of films here beginning with 1890 as well as the 1900's, 1910's, and so on if you need help finding titles. The horror movies from the beginning of cinema (1890-1910) are short and usually range from 2 minutes to 12 minutes so they're not a large time investment. Also, many can be found on youtube. The purpose of this challenge is to witness how movies, horror films in particular, have evolved over time in technique, style, and story.

Comment

Same here. In 2009 I watched a grand total of 7 horror movies.
                              I crapped the bed big time during the first year of the challenge, in '08. I think I might have watched like 9 movies? It was terrible, that's for sure.

I second Chex's motion for the History of Horror challenge. I actually almost managed to do that in one day back in 2011, only mine spanned from the 20s to the '00s.

Comment

I'm cool with a History side challenge as well. I can add this 13 decades/movies to the list. Does the name: "Chex's History of Horror Challenge" work?

A couple of final points to consider:
                                What is the consensus on how long the movie has to be? I see 2-12 minutes and wonder if those should count toward a running total.
                                I feel a movie should be at least 60 minutes long to add to your total.

Are we alright with short clips (described by Chex) counting toward the history challenge, and if so, which decades?

What running time length do you all feel is appropriate to add to your general number total?

In the past we have not included any TV Shows (Supernatural, Walking Dead, American Horror Story, etc.), but "Masters of Horror" counted.
                                Continue this tradition?

I'm good with whatever you all decide.

I'd like to eliminate some of the grey area. The most important thing is that it's fun and not too restrictive (try to find a balance).

DM, if you have a name in mind for the 100 movie challenge, feel free to edit/mod my original post in the movie challenge thread.

Finally, I will be extremely busy for the first two weeks of October. I will drop in whenever I can.

Comment

Working...
                                X