2018 horror movie challenge -- preparations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 horror movie challenge -- preparations

Okay, guys, I am not responsible for movie chat, so please notice that I only want to discuss our 2018 horror movie challenge, if we have one.

This year I want to watch the minimum of 10 movies. Because my life gets busy, I do not know the days in which I will watch each movie. Depending on the circumstances, I will try to announce here which movie I plan to watch with plenty of time ahead (should anyone care to join me in chat).

My unofficial selection for this year is:
    1. Saw II
    2. Saw III
    3. Saw IV
    4. Saw V
    5. Saw VI
    6. Hostel
    7. Leatherface (prequel to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre)
    8. Seed of Chucky
    9. The Conjuring
    10. The Conjuring 2

Depending on my time and on Netflix's possible additions, my list may change and/or I may add new movies to the list.
    Last edited by Westin; 09-02-2018, 05:52 AM.

I wish I had thought to preserve the previous challenge threads from the old forum, if only to have the rules. I've long since forgotten all the crazy additions we made over the years. To think, it started with a simple "13 movies" or "31 movies" challenge before ballooning into the crazier, more idiosyncratic challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dream Master View Post
      I wish I had thought to preserve the previous challenge threads from the old forum, if only to have the rules. I've long since forgotten all the crazy additions we made over the years. To think, it started with a simple "13 movies" or "31 movies" challenge before ballooning into the crazier, more idiosyncratic challenges.
      I didn't get to it in time. If I could have done one thing, it would have been to save everybody's stats.

Comment

I don't remember many of the challenges unfortunately. I remember there being one for watching a movie starting with A-Z, the 13 and 31 movies (and maybe something like watching 100 movies?), I remember a challenge being named after The Tall Man but don't remember what the challenge was, and I remember something regarding watching a certain number of films you've never seen before.

Comment

Regular challenges (must watch at least one new movie)
          Movie challenge: 13 movies
          Ultimate challenge: 31 movies
          Ultimate (insane?) challenge: 100 movies

Miscellaneous challenges:
          OTH Challenge: Watch 13 movies featured at OTH website: http://www.oh-the-horror.com/ , one of these must be an October featured movie from the current year.
          Boo Radley's Alphabet Challenge: Watch a movie for/beginning with each letter of the alphabet.
          Monkey's Insomniac challenge: Watch 13 movies in one day (or 24 hours).

I feel like there may have been more... or I'm missing something.

Since people are interested, we should do the challenge. It's always been DM's thing, so I'd prefer he start the list; this could be the discussion thread.

The record was about 350 movies or so. Realistically, I don't see anybody going over 100 this year.
          I'll try for 13.

Comment

I do believe that's a comprehensive list, actually. I think we called 31 the "ultimate" challenge first, before we ever introduced the 100-movie threshold, so we called it insane. I almost want to call it the "Cody/TM" challenge for a new iteration. Those guys were the most insane. I'll definitely get a list started soon. Might try to cook up something a little new over the next week to mark the occasion. THE HORROR CHALLENGE IS BACK.

Comment

Oh, I will have to add more three movies to my list. I thought the original number was 10, not 13.

Comment

I've got a hankering to re-watch a bunch of slasher movies to the point I've started compiling a list. It's ridiculous because I know I won't complete but a fraction of the list.
                People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

13 movies. Unofficial list.

Originally posted by Westin View Post

My unofficial selection for this year is:
                  1. Saw II
                  2. Saw III
                  3. Saw IV
                  4. Saw V
                  5. Saw VI
                  6. Hostel
                  7. Leatherface (prequel to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre)
                  8. Seed of Chucky
                  9. The Conjuring
                  10. The Conjuring 2
                  11. Seed of Chucky
                  12. Friday the 13th (2009)
                  13. Halloween H20

Comment

You've got Seed of Chucky on there twice.
                    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

... life has gotten so busy I cannot even pay attention to my own lists. I will replace the 2nd "Seed of Chucky" with something Netflix adds to its queue.

Comment

As usual, I'm gonna try to watch at least one horror movie a day, and as usual, I'm gonna fall a few short and end up and like 25 movies instead.

Comment

I like the Cody/TM rebranding of the 100+ movie list. Cody had the most movies no less than three times. Tallman did it at least once. I was the top dog with 201 in 2015. Natman took it the next year. I'm not sure who had the most last year. Just know that "first place" has steadily dropped over the years. I could never hit 300 flicks in a month unless somebody paid me a hefty sum of money. One of the things I'm most proud of is watching 30 horror movies in a row without sleeping. Definitely not good for your health; I was hallucinating and seeing strange colors just before I went into a 13 hour coma.

It would be cool to have time to top 100 again. Maybe Towelman will finally break 100 this year.... (if he's around).

Comment

I think I remember hitting 200 or slightly past it. The other times I ended up around 170-185. It would eventually reach the point where my brain became numb to the flashing lights and images. Not to say I didn't have fun though. One day I dedicated to nothing but Bela Lugosi films and I think I ended up watching 16-18 movies as they were all so short. Another day I dedicated to numerous Barbara Steele pictures. Good times, but no way I could possibly do anything of the sort now.

Comment

I tried the basic challenge in 2015... and I failed.

Comment

Working...
                              X