Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which horror movie are you watching RIGHT NOW?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to toss it in the bottom tier of the series, but I find myself enjoying more and more with each watch. Sure, the first ten minutes make me feel letdown because the movie is carefully creating by using all what viewers would expect to see and then dishing out misdirection to make the ninth installment seem like a fresh approach that still falls in line with the prior films. It doesn't take long before I'm having fun watching various possessed folk tear through the victim pile in blood-soaked special effects.

I used to dismiss the film based on how it poops on the established lore until I realized the legacy of Jason never had any consistency after the first film anyway. After going from human boy drowned--hillbilly woodsman that survived which flies in the face of Mrs. Voorhees +20 years of grief--superhuman killer that goes from crumbling over after a kick to the nuts can now have his lungs fill with blood and be ok--actually did drown back when he was a kid after all so it turns out he was a specter hanging out in human form that can be kicked in the dick that died yet again only to return as a rotting corpse. Jason being some demonic hell baby is simply another entry in a long list of wackiness that contradicts and rewrites itself on whatever whim is fancied.

The R-rated cut on the blu-ray set is such a poor choice. Maybe the unrated version will hit Warners Archive label for Region A consumers rather than having to purchase an expensive foreign release. Oh well, time to still rock it with the DVD release.
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Jason Goes to Hell is fucking awesome. I feel like you either love it or you hate it.

Comment

Also, in my opinion, JGTH is one of the few movies of the franchise with likable, interesting characters: Steven, Jessica, Creighton Duke. I feel that I "care" about them while watching the movie. I cannot say the same about the characters from the 2009 remake.

Comment

At the end of JGTH, Jason tosses Steven around like a rag doll instead of outright killing him. I never noticed how often that happens in movies until I saw that scene (overpowered villain doesn't really fight the hero/protagonist, plot armor forces a sudden change in fighting style/tactics).

Watched the Looper Youtube video "Disturbing Movies You Won't Be Able To Sit Through"...

The List:
          The Green Inferno
          Martyrs
          Irreversible (seen... it is VERY disturbing and hard to watch)
          The Woman
          Revenge
          The House that Jack Built
          Bite (seen... very stupid/unethical/unbelievable characters, but also very nasty)
          The Wild Bunch

I was trying to watch "The Green Inferno", but it's not on Amazon or Netflix. The only place I could see it was Daily Motion and the video is reversed and subtitled in, French...?
          I guess Looper was right, but for the wrong reason.

So now I'm trying to watch a horror movie, but can't find anything good. :|

Comment

I think there are movies far more disturbing and difficult to watch than "The Green Inferno."

Cannibal Holocaust
            Cannibal Ferox
            I Spit on Your Grave (original)

Just to mention a few...

Comment

Caught Annihilation earlier this evening. It's been a long time since a science fiction story took hold of my interest and never let go. There are moments of wonder and curiosity that had my mind racing much like when I would view the reveal in Alien of the Space Jockey. Y'know, before that Prometheus bullshit. The premise of bringing the strange and otherworldly creatures and landscape to Earth by having the cells of our planet "infected" by alien DNA was a fine turn of events and gave way to some memorable scenes and landscapes. The unusual look of nature transformed, from the serene and beautiful like the deer, to the frightening with the bear and 'gator. SPOILERHot damn, that bear is a terrifying creature with it's human screams of pain and fright!

I was not a fan of the intercutting of flashbacks within a flashback to explain the lead character's motivation. It's a twist and would likely have been fine in any other movie, but it just wasn't as fascinating as what was happening within the alien environment. There were moments I found it as an annoyance. I suspect on a re-watch, it's something I'll appreciate more.

Then there's the ending. SPOILERI heard this was a hot topic of debate...but I just don't see it. Either you take the events as they are by trusting the narrator or you doubt the narrator completely and reach the opposite conclusion. Considering the lead acted nothing like her husband's doppelganger, I don't see any reason to assume she's a copy. Sure, her eyes display the same strange look, but she also lived in the Shimmer for quite some time and her cells were "infected" and changing. It's like a mark of sorts. Anything else is jumping to a conclusion based on zero implications like the fake version absorbed her memories by touching her. We don't know that didn't happen to husband so that may or may not be why his clone was void of any information. My take is that the imprint of the alien is within the character, the plants, and animals. Although it seems to have vanished, it's still there and all Earth organisms will forever be changed.

This definitely falls into the recommendation pile for 2018 releases.
              People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Annihilation was definitely better than expected. I just caught it last weekend. The stunning visuals and surreal creatures made the movie worth it. I was excited by all the possibilities of genetic DNA mutation and what would become of our characters, especially after the SPOILERhome video snake intestines scene, and bizarre pool man fungus wall thing. Strange alligator and tree-infused deer, lurking bear thing, bushes shaped like people, anything goes. Wild and weird.

If you like new and different things, this movie delivers. I feel it falls flat at the end, very weird, and open to interpretation. The area around the lighthouse reminds me of those fantasy posters from the 80s, or maybe the cover of a Pink Floyd album. It's definitely worth the watch, as you constantly don't know what to expect.

Comment

The pool SPOILERman fungus is what invoked the similar feeling of awe that the Space Jockey in Alien did. I mean, except we know of his origin. The new creations did as well, but that was my favorite one.

I agree about the ending. I'd say it starts for me when the Lena SPOILERdoppelganger appears. I don't know how to explain it as I'm not even sure what's lacking other than something is missing.

Comment

Same. It just need MORE somehow, maybe a little more background/explanation to explain the story in more detail. A little anti-climatic.

I'm starting Brain Dead now. Starring Bill Pullman and Bill Paxton.

Comment

I am watching Hostel.

The irony: a few weeks ago, I felt the urge to watch the Final Destination movies. I went to a nearby city with a used DVD store. I bought parts 1-3. And now the same movies I bought are on Netflix.

Comment

At some point, the movies will vanish off of Netflix right as your interested in watching them so it'll work out in the end.

Comment

I don't intend watching The Final Destination movies again, though. The likelihood of watching them again is very low. And I don't want to end up with hundreds of DVDs.

I am a minimalist.

Today, for example, I donated to a library my copy of Sleepy Hollow along with other movies that I have no intention of watching again.

Hostel was decent. Scary, but not Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III scary.

Comment

Working...
                          X