Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sagittarius View Post
    This is solid.

I don't like it. Sounds too cheap like something a fan would make. They were best just recycling the original movie's score like RZ's Halloween did. Face it, the Halloween remix themes have worn out their welcome. There's nothing really different they can do with it that doesn't come off as bland fan-takes.

Comment

I think it feels like the original theme blended with something Nine Inch Nails would do.

I was hoping to get something new. I agree with the statement that the Halloween remix themes feel worn out. I was hoping that Carpenter would deliver us an original score. The score he composed for "Halloween III: Season of the Witch," for example, was spectacular. I think he could have composed something new for this movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Westin View Post
        I think it feels like the original theme blended with something Nine Inch Nails would do.
        Actually, that would be this. Literally.

I was hoping to get something new. I agree with the statement that the Halloween remix themes feel worn out. I was hoping that Carpenter would deliver us an original score. The score he composed for "Halloween III: Season of the Witch," for example, was spectacular. I think he could have composed something new for this movie.
        He probably did. This is just the first tease from the soundtrack. And I think it was always a safe bet that the score would include a variation on the Halloween theme. There was no chance it wouldn't really.

Comment

Originally posted by DevonteHuntley View Post
          Oh yes, all those newcomers who apparently make up more of the people who see the movies than the ones that are actually fans and know what is going on. But still, they shouldn't be tuning into a movie that's several installments and storylines down the road. Or they should just get confused and be caught up with everything afterwards. And given how much will be explained and explored from the past, you'd get familiar with a lot of what you missed than watching a sequel and you're confused why it's coming off as like a Part 1 or 2. "Isn't this like Part 6, 7, or 8? Sure doesn't seem like it."
          Eh, I first took an interest in the series after seeing part of part 2 on TV. I really got into the series after watching Halloween 5 (Yeah, that's right, I started with part 5. Don't look at me like that). Then, I basically worked my way backwards.

Well the Holocaust is much more to be supremely traumatized over than what Laurie faced. Those people were held captive in concentration camps and terribly abused for years. They'd trade that for Laurie's experience anyway. Laurie's tragedy is a little scab wound compared to the holocaust victims' tragedy which would be a huge open wound that take up from head to toe.
          Okay, how's this? Ask any woman who's ever been raped if they ever truly get over it. My impression is that most often it changes them forever. They may go on with their lives, but they carry the scars of those experiences with them. And, imagine how they might feel about the very idea of encountering their attacker again.

Yeah, she was right but I think had the other sequels still happened, it would have been better for her to feel this way. Going by one event alone that happened so long ago isn't something to really be extremely panicked about and that Michael is capable of doing this again.
          It's worth saying that we still don't know the full story of Halloween 2018. It could be interesting if, after the events of the first movie, Dr. Loomis tried to council Laurie and help her deal with her trauma, perhaps by trying to help her understand Michael better. But, instead, he unwittingly caused her to develop the same fear of Michael that he had.

At least with the other sequels under the belt, Michael's escaped the authorities multiple other times and is truly shown to be a boogeyman given his constant withstands of death that's taken to a whole new level than in the original.
          Part of me agrees with you, but it's important to remember that the makers of this film want to make Michael more human. They don't want him to be as overtly supernatural as he became in the later movies. They want him to be more like he was in the first movie, where it was suggested that there was a supernatural element to his character but it wasn't shown to be absolutely true.

I think this movie may ask the question 'is Michael really The Boogeyman, or has Laurie allowed her fear to go too far?'

Comment

Yeah, there are too many variations of the original Halloween score. It gets tiring.

Comment

Well Season of the Witch had something different because it wasn't Michael Myers-related. The Halloween theme is bound to be in the mix with Michael involved, but my thing is if they couldn't produce something better than THAT then they were best off making something original. I don't mind a new Halloween remix, but that theme made me think they ran out of steam to produce that again.

Comment

On a second thought, I am actually glad they keep making versions based on the original score.

For example, I like "Friday the 13th" (2009)... but that new score they came up with... no, absolutely not.

Comment

I bought the score for the Halloween and the soundtrack to Halloween III several years ago.

The synth in Halloween III is pure joy to me. It reminds me of my childhood. I originally hated the movie itself because it did not feature Michael Myers. I was about 7 or 8 when it came to Showtime in the early 80s and I remember being disappointed. It's a movie that has grown on me substantially over they years. Like the soundtrack, it dared to be different. I'd still love to go tour the old film locations next year. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by DevonteHuntley View Post
                    But after thirty plus years? I think she would have mellowed down in that fear and came to the conclusion Michael was likely never getting out especially with the changing of times and the chances of him escaping from the modern era being more hard to pull off than it was in 1978 where things were more relaxed. And considering he did it ONCE before, the staff of Smith's Grove would surely make sure he wouldn't do it again.
                    You seem to find it hard to belive that Laurie would still be obsessed after all these years... but wrote a story where almost every person that ever came into contact with ol' Mikey is somehow working for an organisation/facility that has something to do with his incarceration. I don't think it's a reach to believe that that event changed her forever. Let's not forget, she's prepared for Michael to escape, she wants him to even, so that she can kill him - but she has also had a functional life where she now has a house and kids, etc. So it's not like they're saying she's been a sheltered recluse for 40 years.

Unfortunately if we want new Halloween movies we have to accept that they have to appeal to a new generation. Movies are made for as many people as possible. As a big fan of the series I have no more right to love the new one as those who just love some of the movies, or even just one of the movies. I love parts 2, 4, 5 & 6 - and I didn't love H20 or H:R. But that won't stop me from loving this if it's good. I'm happy to have multiple timelines, so long as those timelines are good. Let's face it, there is no sensible way of cramming all the events of all the movies together to make sense. If you want an H20 sequel then 4/5/6 don't exist; if you want a 4/5/6 sequel then H20 doesn't exist; if you want an H:R sequel you can't have JLC. Everyone is going to have to let go of their own personal attachments if they're ever going to enjoy Halloween sequel ever again.

As for the new theme? LOVE IT. That little stall near the beginining with the synth build into the main theme is just... think I got chills. It sounds very much like a modern love-letter to the old theme and that's the best we were ever going to get.

Comment

• I'll watch it, that's for sure, but not when it comes out on theaters. I'll probably rent it from iTunes when it's out.

I think modern franchises feel worn out, especially "Halloween." It's not that I am not a fan, I just feel that the franchise has worn out itself.

I consider H20 the best Halloween sequel and Jamie Lee Curtis's recent comments on the film ("it was just a money gig," she told Variety), felt incredibly disappointing. She did not even wanted to be in "Resurrection" (and rightfully so, in my opinion). She only agreed to reprise her role due to a clause stating that Michael Myers cannot die and that H20 had to have a sequel. Thus, she wanted her character dead. The scene of Michael Myers wearing the paramedic uniform was an idea proposed by Kevin Williamson and that scene was shot the day afterthey concluded filming H20. That's right, folks, Resurrection started being shot the day after H20 concluded.And then we had the Rob Zombie films and they introduced an entirely new universe. There were talks about a Halloween 3D (?) and now we have this sequel, which feels, to me, like a rehash of H20.

I am done with films and I think television is a much better format, personally.

I thought "Bates Motel" was excellent. If they could to modern franchises what they did to "Bates Motel," I would be far more interested.
                      Last edited by Westin; 09-21-2018, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Everyone is going to have to let go of their own personal attachments if they're ever going to enjoy Halloween sequel ever again.
                        So I should give up hope on seeing Dr. Challis trying to survive an apocalyptic America filled with angry parents, snakes, spiders, and melted Don Post masks while trying to repopulate the nation one foxy lady at a time?
                        People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

• Originally posted by Chex View Post

So I should give up hope on seeing Dr. Challis trying to survive an apocalyptic America filled with angry parents, snakes, spiders, and melted Don Post masks while trying to repopulate the nation one foxy lady at a time?
                          No, that's a hope you should never give up on

Comment

• Originally posted by sickboy View Post
                            You seem to find it hard to belive that Laurie would still be obsessed after all these years... but wrote a story where almost every person that ever came into contact with ol' Mikey is somehow working for an organisation/facility that has something to do with his incarceration.
                            Um, no? What are you talking about? Half of those characters are where they are for other reasons besides Michael. Sara's dad never came across Michael and he simply runs Smith's Grove Sanitarium. Gary Hunt is part of the new Thorn cult so of course he'd be obsessed with Michael. Tommy had a run in with Michael twice and he never killed him so he would be obsessed. Sara works as a newsreporter which has nothing to do with Michael. Lindsey works as a cop which has nothing to do with Michael. So your point is flawed here.
                            Originally posted by sickboy View Post
                            I don't think it's a reach to believe that that event changed her forever. Let's not forget, she's prepared for Michael to escape, she wants him to even, so that she can kill him - but she has also had a functional life where she now has a house and kids, etc. So it's not like they're saying she's been a sheltered recluse for 40 years.
                            If she wanted to kill him so badly, then why not work at Smith's Grove to be closer to him? Why wait for him to escape?
                            Let's face it, there is no sensible way of cramming all the events of all the movies together to make sense. If you want an H20 sequel then 4/5/6 don't exist; if you want a 4/5/6 sequel then H20 doesn't exist; if you want an H:R sequel you can't have JLC.
                            You clearly didn't read a thing I proposed. There's ways to get around this. I just came up with a couple new ones apart from what I wrote on the last page. Stop acting like a connection attempt between the movies can't work. All it will take is a couple movies to do it, but it's not hard. And H:R did a terrible job making it clear Laurie even died from that. That so-called death sequence was clearly survivable.
                            Everyone is going to have to let go of their own personal attachments if they're ever going to enjoy Halloween sequel ever again.
                            Well I'm all for continuity and things getting tied up. If that can't be done then I can never enjoy the new Halloween movies. I'm not going to love them because they're Halloween movies. I'm going to love them because they care about the story and what's established in the past and leading them all up to somewhere.
                            As for the new theme? LOVE IT. That little stall near the beginining with the synth build into the main theme is just... think I got chills. It sounds very much like a modern love-letter to the old theme and that's the best we were ever going to get.
                            If that's the best we're ever going to get, then that's a huge disappointment.

Comment

• Originally posted by DevonteHuntley View Post
                              If she wanted to kill him so badly, then why not work at Smith's Grove to be closer to him? Why wait for him to escape?
                              Because, there's no way in Hell that Smith's Grove would allow that to happen. They probably wouldn't let Laurie anywhere near Michael, for exactly that reason.

Comment

• Um, Laurie wouldn't be allowed in? I doubt it. Michael doesn't have a restraining order against her. I don't see why they wouldn't unless they suspect Laurie will do something, but she could easily tell them she just wants to keep an eye on him so he doesn't escape. Laurie could easily get a disguise and change her name to sneak in if it has to come down to that. To wait forty years for a one night showdown is a waste and why the aspect of this movie does not work out. It's one thing if Michael was missing again and she traveled the world to find him and couldn't, but she knew where he was the entire time and had easy access to finish him off years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X