Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dream Master View Post
    Jamie Lee's wig from 2
    People keep complaining about Jamie's wig in that movie and I could never understand the issue with it. It didn't look off to me.
    Originally posted by Darth Reaper View Post
    I'm also liking the idea of Michael picking targets at random. It's very in the spirit of the original.
    And people who hate the sibling/extended family angle of the original series seem to forget that even with that aspect in there, Michael was still following and killing random people. He killed Alice in H2 who had nothing to do with being in his way of getting to Laurie, he stalked and killed Tina's friends who weren't in his way of getting to Jamie in H5, he killed Barry Simms in H6, in H20, he killed those two teenage boys when he already had the file on Laurie and could have fled, etc. like Michael was always still being the "boogeyman" when he was targeting his family. -_-
    It does make me curious about whether or not Michael will have any particular interest in Laurie. I can see him still going after her simply because she's the one who got away and Michael wants to finish what he started. On the other hand, I can see it coming down to a confrontation between them because Laurie goes after Michael, and her family gets dragged into it.
    How could Michael even know Laurie is still around to care to go after her? Oh yeah, that crooked Dr. Sartain guy who apparently wanted him to face her again it seems. But having Laurie be central focus again and with her family involved makes the retcon seem to pointless. The movie still plays off as though they're having a sibling rivalry. They were best off still being siblings and this being a sequel to H:R. Considering the angle they went with in this movie making Laurie have her "Michael moments" where she's staring at Allyson outside her classroom and then when she falls off the balcony and disappears before Michael's eyes, it makes sense if they were still siblings and Laurie apparently inherited some "pure evil". Hell, this would so be beneficial having her survive her supposed death in H:R which was never truly definite anyway since she fell on TREES and her dying isn't brought up for the rest of the movie. It's just intended by the filmmakers to be her supposed death but you can't help but wonder they made it so that she could possibly be brought back.

Retconning 90% of the franchise was a dumb move. H20 was stupid to do this as it had now twenty years worth of history to fill in that we never would see and the movie does a sloppy job only talking about that quickly. We never know when Laurie made it to California. We never know when Loomis died or why he even still had to survive the H2 explosion when H4-H6 don't count and the actor was dead. Loomis only died "a few years earlier" which could tie back to when H6 happened "a few years earlier" so it's like, what's the point of the retcon. The only significance is Michael stated being gone for twenty years but that's easy to get around with a bit of a cover-up from some high organization such as the Thorn cult or the FBI. With this new movie, the forty year gap is way too much. Laurie being prepared for all this time is hard to swallow. She would have gotten over it two decades earlier. Why is she anticipating Michael would escape? H20's angle made sense since he was missing. Here, he's captured so she should be at a relief he's probably not getting out and for this to be the case for forty damn years is pretty good. Had we seen Laurie living her life normally and being passed Michael, that would have been a better approach than to have us believe for FORTY YEARS she's been preparing for another showdown of a man who was locked up and not getting out. The gap also causes us to skip a whole generation with Judy Greer's character we never get to see so there's like all these movies we missed out on in between the original and this movie. It was so not worth the attempt so they were best getting rid of the original altogether and starting from scratch. What's even more stupid is those "easter eggs" they want to throw in to the other films. Like, you retcon them so have us forget them but you're giving us a reminder of them now. Which is it? Are we to forget them or not? -_-

I read the writers originally was going to incorporated ALL of the movies. I wish they had kept this routine. Have Michael be captured on the night of the events of H:R. Have Laurie survive the fall and relocated to Haddonfield where she prepares herself for Michael's apparent escape at some point. Sixteen years is more easier to swallow than freaking forty. Instead of Karen Strode and Allyson, we have John Tate and a SON he has in the picture since this series need more male lead characters. We'd already be familiar with John since he was in H20 so that's a generation covered we did not get with Karen Strode. Then over the course of the movie have there be references to H4-H6 and then leave it on a cliffhanger to how the next movie will then explain everything. Why Laurie left Jamie behind, why was 1988-1995 forgotten about, etc. like this is what they should have done.
    Last edited by DevonteHuntley; 09-14-2018, 12:49 AM.

Comment

With this new movie, the forty year gap is way too much. Laurie being prepared for all this time is hard to swallow. She would have gotten over it two decades earlier. Why is she anticipating Michael would escape? H20's angle made sense since he was missing. Here, he's captured so she should be at a relief he's probably not getting out and for this to be the case for forty damn years is pretty good.
      I think we need to wait and see to determine if it works or not. I could buy that she's messed up since 1978 and the only she can cope with it is to try and kill Michael. I could also see it being that she believes the ramblings of Loomis and came to believe he is evil incarnate and it's only a matter of time before Michael goes on another murder spree.

One idea I'm starting to like is that perhaps part of her instability comes from trying to process why she and her friends were chosen. There was no rhyme or reason in Laurie's eyes (I maintain Michael picked her simply because she spouted off to his face she wasn't afraid of the boogeyman when dropping the key off at the Myers' house) so maybe it's driven her mad.

Guess we'll have to see in about a month.

Nice to see someone passionate about the franchise.
      People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Originally posted by DevonteHuntley View Post
        And people who hate the sibling/extended family angle of the original series seem to forget that even with that aspect in there, Michael was still following and killing random people. He killed Alice in H2 who had nothing to do with being in his way of getting to Laurie, he stalked and killed Tina's friends who weren't in his way of getting to Jamie in H5, he killed Barry Simms in H6, in H20, he killed those two teenage boys when he already had the file on Laurie and could have fled, etc. like Michael was always still being the "boogeyman" when he was targeting his family.
        At last, somebody else sees this. Sometimes I think I'm the only one. People complained about Halloween: Resurrection because Michael was pursuing a bunch of people who had no connection to him other than being in his house, but Michael has often deviated from pursuing a relative to kill random people. He seems to have a particular obsession with his family but ultimately anyone can become a target. Michael just needs to feel inclined to go after you and now you're his new "best friend."

How could Michael even know Laurie is still around to care to go after her?
        Fair point, especially if they mean to make Michael more human in this movie. There's no mysterious sixth sense that seems to allow him to track down his targets even though he shouldn't know where they are.

Or, could there be?

Oh yeah, that crooked Dr. Sartain guy who apparently wanted him to face her again it seems.
        Ah yes, that guy. But, I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's crooked or that he wanted Michael to go after Laurie again. I think he was just asking Michael questions to see how he'd respond. Like everyone else, he didn't anticipate that Michael might actually escape again. Everybody thinks "Michael's been locked up for forty years and he hasn't escaped, so he's never going to escape." Then, SURPRISE, Michael escapes again.

But having Laurie be central focus again and with her family involved makes the retcon seem to pointless. The movie still plays off as though they're having a sibling rivalry. They were best off still being siblings and this being a sequel to H:R. Considering the angle they went with in this movie making Laurie have her "Michael moments" where she's staring at Allyson outside her classroom and then when she falls off the balcony and disappears before Michael's eyes, it makes sense if they were still siblings and Laurie apparently inherited some "pure evil". Hell, this would so be beneficial having her survive her supposed death in H:R which was never truly definite anyway since she fell on TREES and her dying isn't brought up for the rest of the movie. It's just intended by the filmmakers to be her supposed death but you can't help but wonder they made it so that she could possibly be brought back.

Retconning 90% of the franchise was a dumb move. H20 was stupid to do this as it had now twenty years worth of history to fill in that we never would see and the movie does a sloppy job only talking about that quickly. We never know when Laurie made it to California. We never know when Loomis died or why he even still had to survive the H2 explosion when H4-H6 don't count and the actor was dead. Loomis only died "a few years earlier" which could tie back to when H6 happened "a few years earlier" so it's like, what's the point of the retcon. The only significance is Michael stated being gone for twenty years but that's easy to get around with a bit of a cover-up from some high organization such as the Thorn cult or the FBI. With this new movie, the forty year gap is way too much. Laurie being prepared for all this time is hard to swallow. She would have gotten over it two decades earlier. Why is she anticipating Michael would escape? H20's angle made sense since he was missing. Here, he's captured so she should be at a relief he's probably not getting out and for this to be the case for forty damn years is pretty good. Had we seen Laurie living her life normally and being passed Michael, that would have been a better approach than to have us believe for FORTY YEARS she's been preparing for another showdown of a man who was locked up and not getting out. The gap also causes us to skip a whole generation with Judy Greer's character we never get to see so there's like all these movies we missed out on in between the original and this movie. It was so not worth the attempt so they were best getting rid of the original altogether and starting from scratch. What's even more stupid is those "easter eggs" they want to throw in to the other films. Like, you retcon them so have us forget them but you're giving us a reminder of them now. Which is it? Are we to forget them or not? -_-

I read the writers originally was going to incorporated ALL of the movies. I wish they had kept this routine. Have Michael be captured on the night of the events of H:R. Have Laurie survive the fall and relocated to Haddonfield where she prepares herself for Michael's apparent escape at some point. Sixteen years is more easier to swallow than freaking forty. Instead of Karen Strode and Allyson, we have John Tate and a SON he has in the picture since this series need more male lead characters. We'd already be familiar with John since he was in H20 so that's a generation covered we did not get with Karen Strode. Then over the course of the movie have there be references to H4-H6 and then leave it on a cliffhanger to how the next movie will then explain everything. Why Laurie left Jamie behind, why was 1988-1995 forgotten about, etc. like this is what they should have done.
        I hear what your saying and I share some of your feelings but I'm afraid that at this point trying to tie all of the Halloween movies together would require a considerable amount of time and energy and I'm just not sure it's worth it. I'm afraid that a movie that tried to do that would become so bogged down with exposition that it would distract from the actual current story that you're trying to tell. And, I fear that only hardcore fans would appreciate it anyway. Everybody else either won't understand what everybody's talking about because they're not as familiar with the Halloween series as we are, or they just won't care, and either of those two possibilities can hurt the movie and whatever might have come next. I think with Halloween it's best to keep things simple. Let go of the mistakes of the past and focus on taking the story foreword. Focus only on what you need to tell a good scary story.

And, as for Laurie being obsessed with Michael For forty years, I buy it. People who suffer great trauma don't always recover from it completely. It's a wound that can leave a very ugly scar. I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder so I know a little bit about having fears and worries that never go away, even when you want them to. You try to tell yourself that you're being irrational, but there's another part of you that refuses to be reasonable and clings to those worries no matter what. That other part of you is always asking 'what if?" What if Michael does escape again today? What if he returns to Haddonfield? What if he comes after me and my family? Can I really afford to not be prepared?

I imagine that it would be even worse for Laurie because her obsession with Michael is driven by fear born of great trauma. That fear then gives birth to anger, and that anger fuels the obsession even further. Yoda knew what he was talking about when he said that fear is the path to The Dark Side.
        Last edited by Darth Reaper; 09-14-2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I will eventually get to watch this... when it comes out on DVD... and I buy a used copy.

For me, "Halloween H20" seals the Halloween franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Chex View Post
            I think we need to wait and see to determine if it works or not. I could buy that she's messed up since 1978 and the only she can cope with it is to try and kill Michael. I could also see it being that she believes the ramblings of Loomis and came to believe he is evil incarnate and it's only a matter of time before Michael goes on another murder spree.

But why would she anticipate it would be OUTSIDE of Smith's Grove? The fact is, 1978 was a different time period where security was lacking. By the late 1990s and the 2000s, that should surely be bulked up to where she wouldn't believe Michael would escape. If you ask me, she should have just let the whole thing go and went on with her life like nothing was going to happen anymore. If Michael was to go on another murder spree, why not have it be IN the facility at the least? I also have a hard time believing Michael spent forty years in Smith's Grove and is only NOW being sent to a prison. Why was this not done in like the 1980s?
            One idea I'm starting to like is that perhaps part of her instability comes from trying to process why she and her friends were chosen. There was no rhyme or reason in Laurie's eyes (I maintain Michael picked her simply because she spouted off to his face she wasn't afraid of the boogeyman when dropping the key off at the Myers' house) so maybe it's driven her mad.
            Hmm, don't know if I agree with this. Laurie just saw the house as a regular old abandoned house. The kids thought a monster lived there. It wasn't like she was scared of Michael. She just didn't believe it was something out of a horror movie that she had to be cautious of. Plus Michael was locked up that whole time. Who would have anticipated he'd return home? And it also made no sense why the kids would think the place is haunted when Michael was locked up miles away unless they figured Judith's ghost haunted the place, but that wasn't the case. You know, that's an angle the series could have tackled, Judith's ghost. I may do that in my new Halloween fan script. I wrote two of them over the past nine years is going to write a THIRD. The first was a sequel to H6 set in 2008 I wrote when I was fifteen in 2009. The second I wrote bridging the H4-H6 continuity with H20-H:R that I wrote seven years later in 2015-16. The third will tie up even H3 into the mix with the events of the original being made into a movie to get around the original being played on TV in H3. It may be a two-part story.
            Nice to see someone passionate about the franchise.

Yes, it's nice to see people agreeing with me on points that are quite unfortunately overlooked that people think is such a grace like the retcon when it's really not and causes more problems and inconsistencies if you look at it more.
            At last, somebody else sees this. Sometimes I think I'm the only one. People complained about Halloween: Resurrection because Michael was pursuing a bunch of people who had no connection to him other than being in his house, but Michael has often deviated from pursuing a relative to kill random people. He seems to have a particular obsession with his family but ultimately anyone can become a target. Michael just needs to feel inclined to go after you and now you're his new "best friend."
            Yeah, H:R got heat because of that but those same people want Michael to be like that. It makes no sense. But I think Sara Moyer was set up to be a potential new relative. Some one I know who spoke with Moustapha Akkad on an H9 before his death stated that he had plans to make her Jamie Lloyd, tying H4 into the mix and having Sara lose her memory of her childhood following the attack on her stepmother, but that would have been a terrible angle to tackle. I appreciate Akkad's method to "go there", but not like that. And if you're going to go through the trouble bringing H4 into the mix, you might as well do the same for H5 and H6 since H4 was discarded just as equally as those two movies were. Seems odd they'd set up a new relative when they still had John Tate to utilize and did nothing with him. I feel like his character should have been the lead of H:R where he transferred to Haddonfield University and attended the Dangertainment thing. It certainly would have tied the opening with Laurie and the rest of the movie together as John would mention her death and stuff. Also, a better resurrection for Michael where he gets his head reattached or go the "ghost" route would have been better and the movie ends where John becomes possessed by Michael and follow in his footsteps. That would have been pretty interesting.
            I hear what your saying and I share some of your feelings but I'm afraid that at this point trying to tie all of the Halloween movies together would require a considerable amount of time and energy and I'm just not sure it's worth it. I'm afraid that a movie that tried to do that would become so bogged down with exposition that it would distract from the actual current story that you're trying to tell. And, I fear that only hardcore fans would appreciate it anyway. Everybody else either won't understand what everybody's talking about because they're not as familiar with the Halloween series as we are, or they just won't care, and either of those two possibilities can hurt the movie and whatever might have come next. I think with Halloween it's best to keep things simple. Let go of the mistakes of the past and focus on taking the story foreword. Focus only on what you need to tell a good scary story.
            Well those new people coming in should know they need to be caught up with the series. I mean this is a series that should be aimed to people who's been tuning into everything up until this point. We can't cater to those who are new. There's storylines to tie up and characters to bring to full circle so that shouldn't be tossed out for the sake of making things easier for people who shouldn't be tuning into a far distant installment down the road without seeing the others and knowing what is going on. I don't mind the whole "revamp" thing but do it like BRIDE OF CHUCKY and CURSE OF CHUCKY where the continuity of the previous movies are still respected but the story is just taking a different shift. And the previous material is still capable of being revisited at a later point. As you can tell, the stuff with Andy was touched again in Curse and expanded more in Cult of Chucky. Now that I can handle.
            And, as for Laurie being obsessed with Michael For forty years, I buy it. People who suffer great trauma don't always recover from it completely. It's a wound that can leave a very ugly scar. I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder so I know a little bit about having fears and worries that never go away, even when you want them to. You try to tell yourself that you're being irrational, but there's another part of you that refuses to be reasonable and clings to those worries no matter what. That other part of you is always asking 'what if?" What if Michael does escape again today? What if he returns to Haddonfield? What if he comes after me and my family? Can I really afford to not be prepared?
            But after thirty plus years? I think she would have mellowed down in that fear and came to the conclusion Michael was likely never getting out especially with the changing of times and the chances of him escaping from the modern era being more hard to pull off than it was in 1978 where things were more relaxed. And considering he did it ONCE before, the staff of Smith's Grove would surely make sure he wouldn't do it again.
            Originally posted by Westin View Post
            For me, "Halloween H20" seals the Halloween franchise.

For me it never did and that's not even knowing they had a sequel in advanced ready where Michael was gonna be brought back. As a finale, it lacks. It retcons a whole continuity which gets no closure and there's still a lot about Michael and Laurie's relationship and upbringing we still don't know. We don't even know Laurie's life in California and how she became a teacher and what her life with the Strodes was like and when she learned she was Michael's sister and how often she kept in touch with Dr. Loomis. The movie was very short and missing a lot of story material to make it really a special finale. Also, Michael's demise was pretty abrupt and the movie just ends. There's no epilogue or anything to indicate how Laurie is feeling afterwards. Simply seeing Michael die is not satisfying to call something an end. H20's story was weak and left off even more of a cliffhanger that left you wondering what happened afterwards with everyone else. I could never buy that as a finale. That's like if Halloween II ended with Michael burning away and all the stuff with Laurie being taken out of the hospital into the ambulance was cut. Like that's it? That would have sucked.
            Last edited by DevonteHuntley; 09-15-2018, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Well those new people coming in should know they need to be caught up with the series. I mean this is a series that should be aimed to people who's been tuning into everything up until this point. We can't cater to those who are new. There's storylines to tie up and characters to bring to full circle so that shouldn't be tossed out for the sake of making things easier for people who shouldn't be tuning into a far distant installment down the road without seeing the others and knowing what is going on. I don't mind the whole "revamp" thing but do it like BRIDE OF CHUCKY and CURSE OF CHUCKY where the continuity of the previous movies are still respected but the story is just taking a different shift. And the previous material is still capable of being revisited at a later point. As you can tell, the stuff with Andy was touched again in Curse and expanded more in Cult of Chucky. Now that I can handle.
              Maybe, maybe not, but they probably won't be caught up and the studios have to act accordingly. Most of their money will be made off of casual fans like that, and in order for the franchise to continue in any form it must make a profit. It's a reality that drives me nuts sometimes too, but majority rules and we the hardcore fans are not the majority.

But after thirty plus years? I think she would have mellowed down in that fear and came to the conclusion Michael was likely never getting out especially with the changing of times and the chances of him escaping from the modern era being more hard to pull off than it was in 1978 where things were more relaxed. And considering he did it ONCE before, the staff of Smith's Grove would surely make sure he wouldn't do it again.
              It doesn't always matter how much time passes because this isn't something that's driven by rational thought. It's an irrational mindset driven by fear and trauma. Never underestimate the power of those things. Time doesn't always heal all wounds. Ask anyone who survived The Holocaust or suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder how powerful traumatic experiences can be. Not everyone handles it like Laurie Strode, but their whole lives are changed nonetheless.

What makes it worse for Laurie is that it seems like she's chosen to embrace the fear, rather than fight it. She may even see it as a good thing, because she clearly thinks that people should be afraid of Michael.

And, the thing is she's right. Michael does escape again and he does return to Haddonfield. Her fears are proven justified, just as Dr. Loomis' fears were proven justified in the first movie.

Comment

The fact that they'd discard the original timelines (or the one, depending on how you try to piece it together)... this is Halloween. Continuity was never their thing.

Motivation. As pointed out in so many posts above, we've seen Michael seemingly kill at random before. The big selling point is that Laurie will have another showdown with Michael, so you know the studio will just find a way to try to make that work. I'm not too concerned about how they set it up. Whatever the reason, it will not make everybody happy. They'll create the narrative/background, and I will show them the money. As posted before, trying to go into so much exposition to fit "X amount" of sequels into this movie can take away from the new story they're trying to tell. I'm looking forward to this; my hopes are high.

I would love to see Danielle Harris make a cameo.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey View Post
                  I think I saw something from her in an interview or twitter saying she wished she could be in it as Laurie's daughter, but she's not. Considering all the callbacks to other moments in the franchise, that's a surprising one. I get picking Greer as it is discarding all other continuity, but a small cameo by Harris as any other character would have been a nice touch.
                  People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Maybe, maybe not, but they probably won't be caught up and the studios have to act accordingly. Most of their money will be made off of casual fans like that, and in order for the franchise to continue in any form it must make a profit. It's a reality that drives me nuts sometimes too, but majority rules and we the hardcore fans are not the majority.
                    Oh yes, all those newcomers who apparently make up more of the people who see the movies than the ones that are actually fans and know what is going on. But still, they shouldn't be tuning into a movie that's several installments and storylines down the road. Or they should just get confused and be caught up with everything afterwards. And given how much will be explained and explored from the past, you'd get familiar with a lot of what you missed than watching a sequel and you're confused why it's coming off as like a Part 1 or 2. "Isn't this like Part 6, 7, or 8? Sure doesn't seem like it."
                    It doesn't always matter how much time passes because this isn't something that's driven by rational thought. It's an irrational mindset driven by fear and trauma. Never underestimate the power of those things. Time doesn't always heal all wounds. Ask anyone who survived The Holocaust or suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder how powerful traumatic experiences can be. Not everyone handles it like Laurie Strode, but their whole lives are changed nonetheless.
                    Well the Holocaust is much more to be supremely traumatized over than what Laurie faced. Those people were held captive in concentration camps and terribly abused for years. They'd trade that for Laurie's experience anyway. Laurie's tragedy is a little scab wound compared to the holocaust victims' tragedy which would be a huge open wound that take up from head to toe.
                    And, the thing is she's right. Michael does escape again and he does return to Haddonfield. Her fears are proven justified, just as Dr. Loomis' fears were proven justified in the first movie.
                    Yeah, she was right but I think had the other sequels still happened, it would have been better for her to feel this way. Going by one event alone that happened so long ago isn't something to really be extremely panicked about and that Michael is capable of doing this again. At least with the other sequels under the belt, Michael's escaped the authorities multiple other times and is truly shown to be a boogeyman given his constant withstands of death that's taken to a whole new level than in the original. Laurie seeing Michael as this dangerous "boogeyman" after that one pretty tame encounter seems ridiculous. Loomis' feelings on Michael is different because he's observed him for fifteen years. Laurie had zero experience on Michael to think the same way as Loomis. So I feel like her trauma could have been relaxed a bit and maybe even gone by after a couple of decades. Laurie making a big deal about Michael is something we already seen so to have a version of her that's all, "Yeah, that's in the past and I've moved on" would have been a fresh approach. Maybe have it be her daughter or granddaughter that give her the thought of Michael escaping and coming after her again and Laurie brushes them off.
                    The fact that they'd discard the original timelines (or the one, depending on how you try to piece it together)... this is Halloween. Continuity was never their thing.
                    It should have this time around. The last thing they needed to do was disjoint everything again. You don't solve a problem by performing such a lazy action or doing it because the series is just use to it regardless if it's good or bad. That's like a filmmaker feeling because a series has mostly mediocre or poor sequels, they should just continue making those and not trying to make a good movie. Prime example were those Hellraiser DTV movies. Every one following Part 4 was just one disappointment after the next and Pinhead was always shoe-horned and not fleshed out enough like what was the purpose of that? I'm hearing they used scripts that weren't even originally Hellraiser stories and it just makes you wonder why not tweak them more so they're more Hellrasier related if that's the case? Just pure laziness and not the right attitude to have at all.

I wonder why they didn't just throw Jamie Lloyd in the Karen Strode role. I mean, this didn't have to be the same Jamie from the H4 continuity (and couldn't anyway), but an alternate version. It's like that Star Wars character Thrawn who's continuity was wiped out by Disney, but they still brought an ALTERNATE version of the character back in their new Star Wars continuity in their Rebels TV show. Just because you delete a continuity doesn't mean characters from that continuity still can't return.
                    Last edited by DevonteHuntley; 09-18-2018, 02:04 AM.

Comment

... this is Halloween. Continuity was never their thing.
                      It should have this time around. The last thing they needed to do was disjoint everything again. You don't solve a problem by performing such a lazy action or doing it because the series is just use to it regardless if it's good or bad. That's like a filmmaker feeling because a series has mostly mediocre or poor sequels, they should just continue making those and not trying to make a good movie.
                      I have to echo what Darth Reaper posted. Even for true fans who like/love the series in general, what should be included?

In H20, they mention Laurie faked her own death. Was Jamie Lloyd's character ever mentioned in H20 or Resurrection? If I remember correctly, it seemed like they had already written off 4, 5, & 6 in the H20/Resurrection path.

I also agree with Westin. I felt like beheading 'Michael Myers' as the end of H20 was a good way to wrap up the series and find closure. Resurrection does a poor job in trying to logically explain the body switcheroo at the end.

I've also noticed people commenting how Laurie can come back to the series when she died in Resurrection.

There is going to be confusion about this in any case since Laurie is back in the saddle again as (I assume) the main protagonist.

As you seem to know and care a lot about this franchise, you must know that the Halloween franchise was meant as an anthology series. Each new film installment was supposed to focus on another plot or series of characters (much like American Horror Story). The original Halloween was just so good and financially successful, they stuck with Michael Myers in part II.

No matter what the studio does for this particular movie, they are left with a problem: where do we leave off?
                      Include Resurrection? You can't have Laurie return (or find a way to explain her death away)
                      Include 4, 5, & 6? Now you have to explain how Michael finds Laurie since she faked her own death (or is she actually dead as described in the films and now you cannot include her)?
                      Include part 2? Almost back to square one. I felt that they never really explained how Michael lived through this. He was shot in the eyes and was engulfed in flames. Not a single siren heard or fire fighter in sight. How in the world did he ever come back from that sort of punishment and is not blinded?

At the end of the original movie, he's shot in the head several times and disappears. How does he even survive that?

I'm can criticize why they did what they did, but they had to make a decision. I think they wanted to include Laurie Strode because they wanted to capitalize on another Jamie Lee Curtis appearance and they felt there was a story to tell with her original character. Continuity has never been something we could expect from Halloween. I'll just go with it. If you were in charge of this project and wanted to make a sequel, how would you set it up?

It's my understanding that if there is another Alien sequel, the intention is to pick up after Aliens and ignore Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. I believe the next Terminator sequel will do the same and ignore everything after Judgement Day.

Reboots. Remakes. And now, Hollywood's latest trend: Ignore the sequel(s). We can expect to see more of this in the future.

Comment

So I just watched an interview with Jamie Lee Curtis promoting the new "Halloween" movie and she gave people her two middle fingers. I think this movie may be great but, honestly, I think Curtis's heart is not in the movie. She has done the same thing before in H20. H20, for me, is the only sequel that provides a good conclusion to this franchise.

If it were up to me Curtis would permanently join the "American Horror Story" cast. She would shine along with Kathy Bates, Angela Bassat, and Sarah Paulson. I hope Ryan Murphy gives her a prominent role in one of his serious shows someday.

Comment

I have to echo what Darth Reaper posted. Even for true fans who like/love the series in general, what should be included?
                          I constructed a story in 2015 that wrapped up H4-H6 and H20-H:R continuities together. I was recently in the process of constructing a story that will run two parts but will take this a step further incorporating those two continues plus H3 so all eight of the original movies would be part of the same timeline and establishing the events of the original became the movie we see in H3. I started writing it a few weeks ago and stopped after thirty pages to focus on my novel. I found a way to incorporate the 2018 movie into the mix that I literally came up with how to do that yesterday. I don't want to spill all the beans to that yet to convolute your minds off the bat but unlike the first eight movies, the 2018 movie will still happen in it's own timeline, but let's just say I was inspired by the Matrix. You can see where this is going. Feel free to ask questions on what I will do here because I have the whole story drafted out. I mean, it's bizarre and out there and is somewhat a homage to an old Halloween 6 script that was really out there including virtual portals and stuff, but it's quite a gem to link everything up.
                          In H20, they mention Laurie faked her own death. Was Jamie Lloyd's character ever mentioned in H20 or Resurrection? If I remember correctly, it seemed like they had already written off 4, 5, & 6 in the H20/Resurrection path.
                          No, Jamie wasn't mentioned and H4-H6 was written off when the actual script was written. The original treatment incorporated references to those movies and Laurie got sick founding out her daughter was done during a class that made her run to the bathroom and throw up in disgust. But H20 vaguely left in details and plot points that could still incorporate H4-H6 if we can get around the other issues such as Michael being missing for twenty years and why Laurie left her behind and take John with her. These two aren't so bad to get around with some thought.
                          I also agree with Westin. I felt like beheading 'Michael Myers' as the end of H20 was a good way to wrap up the series and find closure. Resurrection does a poor job in trying to logically explain the body switcheroo at the end.
                          Well the closure was dumb. Did you not read my response to that above? Michael gets his head cut off and then that's it. No epilogue, no update on Laurie's trauma after the fact, like an abrupt ending. We also don't know if Michael is TRULY dead. Yes, he has his head cut off, but how we know that could kill him? Like there's no scene to confirm he's dead so his fate is still quite up in the open. It's a decent ending for Michael but we can't just end the movie right there. Also, I expect Michael's demise to be somewhat more spectacular.

Well H:R's issue comes with how they handled the switcheroo would have worked had they not made "Michael" so Michael at the end. You got things like how he got up after being run over by Laurie, and then him trying to take the mask off and looking confused (which shows they knew in advance they would make this be some one else). But Michael being pinned to the tree with the van? Chris Durand still behind the mask which gives off the same eyes? Yeah, they were best not pulling the switcheroo with H:R and had Michael be a ghost or had John Tate or Laurie be the next "Michael". Frankly, H:R should have been like this: We start off with John's girlfriend Molly at her home. "Michael" shows up and kills her. John is attending Haddonfield University and venturing the Myers house where "Michael" attacks. Then in the end it turns out "Michael" is Laurie Strode who apparently inherited his evil.
                          I've also noticed people commenting how Laurie can come back to the series when she died in Resurrection.

There is going to be confusion about this in any case since Laurie is back in the saddle again as (I assume) the main protagonist.
                          And clearly you didn't read my comment explaining this. There will be no confusion. How many times have we seen people seemingly "die" in movies and we see them back good as new in another installment? Did you forget Dr. Loomis' original death at the end of Halloween II? Did that stop Halloween 4 from bringing him back? What about in H5 which was suppose to also be his death? Halloween 6 brought him back good as new too. In Laurie's case, was that death in H:R even definitive to you? It sure as hell wasn't. She got stabbed in the back and dropped on trees which broken her fall. And then the rest of the movie never stated she died. Go figure. It could have been very easy to have her survive that. Also, she's Michael's sister. She could have inherited some immortality that's going through Michael's veins to withstand some death attempts.
                          As you seem to know and care a lot about this franchise, you must know that the Halloween franchise was meant as an anthology series. Each new film installment was supposed to focus on another plot or series of characters (much like American Horror Story). The original Halloween was just so good and financially successful, they stuck with Michael Myers in part II.
                          Wrong. Halloween was never to be a series at all. The anthology thing didn't happen until PART 3 was being developed. The anthology thing was never something set up from the get-go and even if it was so what. The series didn't go that route and all we got for the past three decades was Michael Myers. So what is your point in saying that regarding how the series should be handled now? Given how things turned out with the sequels, I'm simply saying how the franchise should tie up all of THAT which is not resolved and brought closure.
                          At the end of the original movie, he's shot in the head several times and disappears. How does he even survive that?
                          He's the boogeyman. That's pretty damn clear dude. -_-
                          It's my understanding that if there is another Alien sequel, the intention is to pick up after Aliens and ignore Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. I believe the next Terminator sequel will do the same and ignore everything after Judgement Day.
                          No franchise should need to undergo a retcon, especially Terminator considering this a franchise about time travel. Why retcon when they can just have some one go back in time and change the events of history as we've seen with T2, T3, and T5? Those were alternate timelines we saw. They can easily pull off a "retcon" through time travel and not just the regular "pretend this movie didn't exist" thing. See? Pure laziness that a movie about TIME TRAVEL can't even properly "erase" a story while still respecting that it happened but in another timeline. Genisys left us off with quite some unanswered questions which I'd like to see explained. That movie was already meant to be a reboot so just deal with it and continue that storyline.
                          Reboots. Remakes. And now, Hollywood's latest trend: Ignore the sequel(s). We can expect to see more of this in the future.
                          And if they keep this up, franchise will continue to suck and be confusing to the point that people won't even care to see them anymore. Hollywood needs to learn to deal with that's there or don't even bother adding to it at all.

Comment

This couldn't fit into my last comment, so I have to post it as it's own comment. Bare with me it's a lot but it's a really good story and I hope you guys liked how everything ties up and how everyone is intertwined here.

I'll just go with it. If you were in charge of this project and wanted to make a sequel, how would you set it up?

My 2015 screenplay was super long, so it would have to be a TV series. It began with Michael in 1963 as Loomis was visiting him for the first time. Then it shifted to the aftermath of H:R where Michael escaped from the morgue and is on pursuit by the police who capture him, Sheriff Gary Hunt (from H2) and Deputy Lindsey Wallace. They capture Michael and he is sent to a prison. The story then shifts to 2013. Michael is about to be executed within a short period of time having been on death row. John Tate is living with his dad and is working at Hillcrest. He teaches on Halloween one day and the students bring up Michael and feel he's been inflicted with a pagan curse. John suspects this is true and travels to Haddonfield to stop the execution. He is also destined to find his sister Jamie who he has not seen since 1987. Tommy Doyle works at the prison Michael is at near Haddonfield which is now run by Gary Hunt who changed jobs. His successor is Lindsey who got promoted after he left.

Following the events of Halloween 6, he and Kara gave up Jamie's baby and settled down to start a family. But in the later years, Tommy's obsession with Michael got too much for Kara that they split up and she took custody of the kids. Tommy gloats in Michael's face that is to be executed and that his reign of terror will finally be over.
                            Tommy is also dating Sara Moyer who is working as a newsreporter. Her camera man is Richie Castle, one of the boys who bullied Tommy in the original movie. Sara is the mother of a biracial child named Derek who she had with Freddie Harris who has since died of a heart attack. Derek is hearing voices telling him to kill similar to what happened with Michael and then Danny in H6. Sara's father Arthur Moyer who is the chief of Smith's Grove Sanitarium checks on him. Sara believes the culprit is her son's babysitter, Anthony Atkins who is eighteen and living with Gary and his wife Stacy who is the other to Myles Barton (the kid who helped Sara in H:R).

The Hunt family reside in the house across the street from the old Myers house where Mrs. Blankenship use to live. Anthony has a troubled history as he was adopted by a family as a baby and at the age of eight, tried to kill his adoptive brother. The family disowned him and he spent time in clinics and foster care until Gary took him in having an interest. Myles feels uneasy about this and tries to get his mother and stepfather to let Anthony go. Sara visits the Hunt house during Anthony's party and speaks to the wife. Anthony denies having anything to do with Derek. Anthony is shown to be very protective of Derek and wouldn't do anything to hurt him.
                            Sara and Tommy have dinner later and Tommy believes a new Thorn cult has emerged. He tells Sara about the events of 1988-1995 which Sara seems to be completely oblivious of as though they been erased from existence. Tommy also believes the new cult would have to be connected at Smith's Grove since the previous administrator, Dr. Wynn, was behind the last cult. Sara finds that impossible since her dad runs it and there's no way he could be pursuing his own grandson to kill which would put him in danger too.

That night, Michael escapes from prison. Tommy is informed on this and realizes Anthony is Jamie's son Steven who he had given up. He travels to the Hunt house to make sure he's safe. He reveals who Anthony is in relationship to Michael. Myles decide to soften a bit with him and the two reconcile. Tommy goes back to his own house where Michael follows him to and stabs him. He is rushed to the hospital with Lindsey there by his side. Anthony goes to school and hangs with his two friends, one of which is Lindsey's son. He is slowly developing his killer tendencies as well as Derek who is being taunted by a man in black. Derek stabs a student and is taken to jail. Sara arrives and is distraught and Lindsey agrees to comfort him while she goes back to work. While Myles is at home by himself and is killed by Michael. John flies to Haddonfield where he stops at the prison to talk to Gary about not having Michael be executed. Stacy returns home and finds Myles dead. Lindsey shows up to investigate as well as Sara who does a newsreport. John and Gary also show up there as Gary was gonna take John to the police station so he could see if there's any files on the whereabouts of his sister Jamie.

John thinks Sara is Jamie as he senses a connection. The two hang out and John tells Sara about his life.
                            Laurie had Jamie by one man, then they split up for a bit. Laurie got with another man who was John's father and was conceiving twins. He then bailed before they were born and Laurie went back to work things out with Jamie's dad. Sara was given up as the family couldn't raise three kids. 1987 came and Laurie was paranoid Michael would come out his coma and come after them so she wanted the family to escape Haddonfield. Her and Mr. Lloyd couldn't come to an agreement so they split. Mr. Lloyd took Jamie and raised her. Laurie took John and they both went into witness protection. A few weeks later, Mr. Lloyd died and Jamie was placed in foster care and then sent to live with the Carruthers, but never knew of her whereabouts afterwards. He and Sara then travel to Russellville where Laurie Strode's adoptive mother still lives and she spills the tea that Sara is Laurie's other daughter and John's twin sister who she given up. Sara realizes that her dad had to have known this and is now convinced that he could likely be the one taunting Derek since Arthur and Sara are not blood, thus Arthur wouldn't be in danger of being sacrificed by Derek.

John and Sara return to Haddonfield to check on Derek who is being talked to by Arthur. Sara scolds him and tells him how his plan won't work since Derek is kin to Michael and thus have to find another child to inflict the curse onto. Arthur denies all of this and leaves. Michael goes to follow Anthony and his two friends around the whole day as they attend a Halloween party at a college campus. Anthony snaps and kills one of the students as Michael kills one of his friends and that friend's girlfriend. Anthony and Lindsey's son make it out alive and run Michael down and go to the police station. But before the police show up at the scene, Michael is abducted. At the police station, John, Sara, Lindsey, Lindsey's son, Anthony, and Derek are all there. Anthony brutally attacks Lindsey's son from behind. The place gets raided by a cult which turns out to be lead by Gary. Also involved in the cult is Sara's camera man Richie and Gary's wife Stacy who is less than thrilled to be apart of it, knowing Anthony's connection to Michael the whole time. He takes everyone but Lindsey to the prison and has Richie shoots her and the officers dead. Lindsey survives however and calls Tommy to help.

Tommy leaves the hospital and travels to the prison where he confronts Gary and lets him know is interest in the cult. He also states that they wiped the minds of the people from remembering Michael's massacres from 1988-1995 since they all involved Jamie Lloyd and the cult is responsible for her kidnapping and death and an investigation in that would have let back to the cult so they figured it was best to erase her and her involvement in Michael's massacres. Gary is to fulfill what Dr. Wynn couldn't and also reveals Wynn was out to exploit Michael's evil by producing multiple offspring which would inherit this. The evil genes caused the offspring to die but Jamie's baby comes to an success. The evil genes explains Anthony's behavior. Michael didn't like that he was being used like this and thus murdered Wynn and his team of doctors. Gary had Tommy tied up and has him watch the ceremony where Michael is to sacrifice his remaining family and Derek is to take over. John reveals to Gary that Derek is also kin, so Gary has Michael also kill him too. But Tommy breaks free and frees everyone. Stacy helps them and is killed by Michael. As she dies, she gives them a bag of pebbles she got from Myles he believes would end Michael's evil. Michael pursues them all and kills Richie in the process as he tried to stop them.

Michael gets into a fight to the death with Anthony, which Michael gains the upper hand over. John traps him with the rune pebbles from Stacy and successfully remove Michael from his curse and dies. Gary and the cult is all arrested. Anthony is taken out on a stretcher having survived the ordeal and is later taken to Smith's Grove Sanitarium. Michael's funeral happens a week later in which all of his relatives and Lindsey attend. Sara's dad shows up and they reconcile. John sees the spirits of his mom and sister and smiles. He goes back to California and writes a book on his experience. Three years later, Anthony is being treated by a new psychiatrist who turns out to be Billy Hill from H5. Billy tries to speak to Anthony and he is attacked. Arthur comes across him dying as Anthony breaks out in his clothes to escape to an unknown destination, mirroring the ending to the H6 P-Cut and being twenty one years old, the same age Michael was when he escaped the facility back in 1978. The end.
                            Last edited by DevonteHuntley; 09-19-2018, 03:26 AM.

Comment

This is solid.

Comment

Reminds me a little of the Halloween II score in which Howarth played the same music but with different instruments. I dig it. Feels retro and modern at the same time.

The film is also getting a novelization on October 23rd.

Comment

Working...
                                X