Halloween (2018)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sagittarius View Post
    See, here's the thing: this is never going to live up to the first film. It can't be done. Lightning in a bottle and all that. The best you can hope for is something as good as Halloween 2 and then you run into the same problems that film had. I think the issue is less that you have to follow rules and more that you have to establish them and that gets messy. Halloween was like a Ramones song. It was addition by subtraction. Structurally it's already stripped down to the bare essentials. There's really nowhere to go except to do the exact same thing over again, which won't work because it was a film of its time and we've already seen it, or start adding to it. But when you start adding things to it you lose the essence of what made it great to begin with. So how can you really make another sequel to it?
    True, you really can't hope for much more than Halloween 2 or Halloween 4 level quality. I would be thrilled if this was that good.

Comment

Originally posted by sagittarius View Post
      See, here's the thing: this is never going to live up to the first film. It can't be done. Lightning in a bottle and all that. The best you can hope for is something as good as Halloween 2 and then you run into the same problems that film had. I think the issue is less that you have to follow rules and more that you have to establish them and that gets messy. Halloween was like a Ramones song. It was addition by subtraction. Structurally it's already stripped down to the bare essentials. There's really nowhere to go except to do the exact same thing over again, which won't work because it was a film of its time and we've already seen it, or start adding to it. But when you start adding things to it you lose the essence of what made it great to begin with. So how can you really make another sequel to it?
      Exactly! It wasn't made with sequels in mind and is why any sequel would always be measured as a little bit less. That doesn't mean it can't still be entertaining like Sanic mentioned and I think most fans have realized this. Actually, it's one of this new film's draws is that it's cutting ties with the sequel to return to that basic structure as little as possible while bringing in its own distinct layer to the story of that of damaged protagonist. What works against it is that it feels like old hat considering H20, but we'll see.
      People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Surprising, I know, but I think I will wait for the DVD. I seem to change as I get older. Nowadays, I prefer watching movies when I am alone in my bedroom.

When I was a teenager, I stood in a long line to watch H20. The movie premiered on a Friday, if I recall correctly. After hours of waiting to buy my ticket, I finally had the chance to do it. A very rude manager questioned my age, though. "This movie is rated R and you don't look like you have the legal age to watch this, thus I am denying you entry." , I begged her to let me watch the movie, explained how much the movie meant to me, but she simply did not allow me to get in. I called my parents, asked them to bring my ID, and they brought the ID, but by the time they arrived at the mall all the tickets had been sold out. I had to wait to watch the movie the next day. I felt so sad that night.

For me, personally, H20 was the crowning jewel of the "Halloween" franchise. It brought back Laurie Strode, it was directed by Steve Miner (who happened to write some of the best episodes of "Dawson's Creek"), and it had Michelle Williams, one of my favorite actresses.

Personally, I feel that I will like this new "Halloween," but certainly not as much as I liked H20. Moreover, my tastes have changed. I am far more excited about the upcoming season of "American Horror Story" than I am for this new "Halloween" reboot --and I certainly would much prefer a new season of "Bates Motel" over a new "Halloween" movie.

So, yeah, I may wait for the DVD.

Comment

Much better trailer than the first one. Also, that Halloween III nod at 1:56 and 1:57.

People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

I already posted something similar to the F13 Facebook group, but fuck it, it's Friday night, we might as well go all-in on it while we're here: it's kind of weird to me that they've booted Halloween 2 out of the canon, only to apparently...remake...Halloween 2? Like, it's one thing to do a little nod like the boombox kid bumping into Myers, but aping the entire Mrs. Elrod sequence? Kinda weird. Admittedly, I think the first half of part 2--where Myers is roaming around suburbia like a goddamn phantom--is the better half of the film and way more in the spirit of the original movie, so I'm kind of torn. I'll actually kind of be PUMPED AS FUCK if they have Myers return to Haddonfield with no apparent intention of going after Laurie; if they're gonna drop the sibling angle, they might as well go all-in on recapturing THE SHAPE just killing anything and everything without any clear motive, and it just so happens Laurie is there, waiting.

Comment

One thing that's definitely awesome is that this is scored by Carpenter. It really shows, even in the trailers. Zombie's movies, among many things, were terrible in that regard.

Also, I agree 100% DM. Hopefully they go with the angle of Michael just tearing shit up cause he feels like it. It seems like they might be setting up Laurie as more of a Loomis type character in this one where she's a protector of sorts, the good to Michael's evil. Although on thing that makes me feel like Michael might still be targeting her is the family stuff in the trailer, so we'll see.

Comment

I'm also liking the idea of Michael picking targets at random. It's very in the spirit of the original. It does make me curious about whether or not Michael will have any particular interest in Laurie. I can see him still going after her simply because she's the one who got away and Michael wants to finish what he started. On the other hand, I can see it coming down to a confrontation between them because Laurie goes after Michael, and her family gets dragged into it.

Comment

My interpretation of the original was that he targeted Laurie simply because she stood right in front of him (without her realizing it) and stating she wasn't afraid. Michael wasn't going to let her get away and so he devised (cruel) Halloween tricks for her to endure throughout the night so she would be terrified.

it's kind of weird to me that they've booted Halloween 2 out of the canon, only to apparently...remake...Halloween 2? Like, it's one thing to do a little nod like the boombox kid bumping into Myers, but aping the entire Mrs. Elrod sequence? Kinda weird. Admittedly, I think the first half of part 2--where Myers is roaming around suburbia like a goddamn phantom--is the better half of the film and way more in the spirit of the original movie, so I'm kind of torn.
                  Anything in the hospital in Halloween II I find lacking so I feel the same about how great it is to see Michael stalking the streets once more. On the other hand, as you said, it gives huge Halloween II vibes. The first trailer reminded me heavily of H20. It's as if the other films are retconned only to mash them up into another film. Maybe a better film? I dunno. What's the most significant element is the absence of the additional story line material from those films and it'll be interesting to see how this sequel plays without the baggage of family relationships like sisters and nieces, cults, mad doctors, coming of age family drama, the Myers house, kung-fu reality tv show producers, etc.

I'd be down for "Fuck Off" Wade being reinserted into this new timeline though. Maybe as an after credits treat.

Comment

[int: theater, October 18th]

The audience waits through the credits with bated breath, hoping to catch a glimpse of what the HALLOWEEN saga has in store for the future. As the final credits roll up the screen, the audience edges to their seat, only to be met with a black screen and the words

[V.O. Busta Rhymes]

TRICK OR TREAT, MUTHAFUCKA

Comment

Originally posted by The Dream Master View Post
                      [int: theater, October 18th]

The audience waits through the credits with bated breath, hoping to catch a glimpse of what the HALLOWEEN saga has in store for the future. As the final credits roll up the screen, the audience edges to their seat, only to be met with a black screen and the words

[V.O. Busta Rhymes]

TRICK OR TREAT, MUTHAFUCKA

What's funny is that only three people in the audience would groan while the rest would wonder whose voice that even belongs to and what the reference even is.

If this movie is a cobbled together version of the best elements of the sequels, then what about a movie of the worst elements? What would it contain? I mean, besides Busta.

Comment

Jamie Lee's wig from 2, the goofed mask in Halloween 4, the Keystone Cops music from Halloween 5, John Strode just being the dirt worst in Halloween 6, the MS Paint mask from H20, Bianca Kajilich's line delivery at the end of Resurrection, mini-Myers from Zombieween, and Ghost Mom from Zombieween 2.

Please note the complete and utter perfection of Halloween 3, all hail Atkins.

Comment

John Strode just being the dirt worst in Halloween 6
                          Just to clarify, are we talking about drunk john strode? I thought he was one of the best parts once drunk. Sober john strode is another story.

Bianca Kajilich's line delivery at the end of Resurrection
                          Damn, I must have blocked it from memory. What was it?

and Ghost Mom from Zombieween 2
                          Plus unicorn, right?

Please note the complete and utter perfection of Halloween 3, all hail Atkins.
                          Amen.

ADDED: Thinking about it, I want to add all of those things as one item (or close to it). Mini-me John Strode wearing Jamie Lee's wig with the H4 mask over it while he stumbles around to the tune of the keystone cop music at which point, during certain beats of the music, the mask changes to the MS Paint version from H20 and back to the H4 mask.

Fuck, I'd watch it.
                          Last edited by Chex; 09-10-2018, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Looks like it's garnered favorable reviews so far:

David Crow
                            Den of Geek September 9, 2018
                            By paying fealty to that initial terror, 2018's Halloween is the best take on what a "Halloween II" should be.
                            | Original Score: 3.5/5

Top Critic
                            Leah Greenblatt
                            Entertainment Weekly September 9, 2018
                            The movie mostly works because it's so fundamental, and funny too: Michael still never speaks; his mask and his slow, deadly, deliberate walk say everything they need to.
                            | Original Score: B+

Victor Stiff
                            The Playlist September 9, 2018
                            Thrilling, atmospheric, and brutally violent, Halloween (2018) delivers exactly what fans want from the series and then some.

Full Review | Original Score: A-
                            Jason Guerrasio
                            Business Insider September 9, 2018
                            For a project that has been riding high with anticipation from "Halloween" fans, this is no way to reward them.

Top Critic
                            Katie Walsh
                            Nerdist September 9, 2018
                            For all of the deep and fascinating semiotic analysis of this film, it's also just a great Halloween movie.
                            Full Review | Original Score: 4/5

Norman Wilner
                            NOW Toronto September 9, 2018
                            Curtis - who, nearing 60, remains a formidable screen presence - bring some genuine tension to her scenes with Greer.
                            Joe Lipsett
                            Bloody Disgusting September 9, 2018
                            All in all, Halloween is a worthy entry in the franchise...the core cast is good to great, as is the violence and the gore. Everything really clicks at the finale

Top Critic
                            Eric Kohn
                            indieWire September 9, 2018
                            The movie would be a harmless, discardable remix of standard horror notes if not for Curtis, who charges through the movie as if she never stopped running four decades back.
                            Full Review | Original Score: B-

Top Critic
                            John DeFore
                            Hollywood Reporter September 9, 2018
                            Carpenter should be pleased, and so should genre buffs - for once, this is a pic their less geeky girl/boyfriends should enjoy.
                            Full Review

Top Critic
                            Peter Debruge
                            Variety September 9, 2018
                            Green has pulled off what he set out to do, tying up the mythology that Carpenter and company established, while delivering plenty of fresh suspense - and grisly-creative kills - for younger audiences...

J. Olson
                            Cinemixtape September 9, 2018
                            David Gordon Green's "Halloween" may not be perfect, but it's exactly the rough-and-tumble twenty-first century sequel that Carpenter's film deserves.
                            Original Score: 4/5

Perri Nemiroff
                            Collider September 9, 2018
                            We finally have a new Halloween movie that moves the franchise forward and respects its legacy.
                            Original Score: 9/10

Jonathan Barkan
                            Dread Central September 9, 2018
                            Halloween pays loving and respectful homage ... while making a very bold and decisive claim for its own existence. This is the real deal and it is every horror fan's dream come true.
                            Original Score: 4.5/5

Chris Evangelista
                            Slashfilm September 9, 2018
                            David Gordon Green's Halloween is a love-letter to horror fans - a brutal, scary and sometimes funny sequel that gives the long-running franchise the respect and adoration it deserves.
                            Original Score: 8/10

Chris Bumbray
                            JoBlo's Movie Emporium September 9, 2018
                            a lean, mean, old-school slasher that will delight longtime fans and win new ones

Comment

Ha, you knew this reply was coming:

Jason Guerrasio
                              Business Insider September 9, 2018
                              For a project that has been riding high with anticipation from "Halloween" fans, this is no way to reward them.
                              Full Review

Joseph Falcone
                              We Got This Covered September 11, 2018
                              While it doesn't do much to elevate the genre, Halloween does tick each and every box, which should be more than enough to appease your run of the mill fanboy, but scare off anyone with half a brain.
                              Full Review | Original Score: 5/10

Sarah Kurchak
                              Consequence of Sound September 10, 2018
                              It's decent. It has its moments. It's enjoyable enough as supplementary material. It's arguably better than some of the other attempts to capitalize on the success of the original 1978 John Carpenter classic. It's just not quite a good film in of itself.
                              Full Review | Original Score: C+

Top Critic
                              A.A. Dowd
                              AV Club September 10, 2018
                              Just another pale imitation, another bad Halloween sequel watering down the fear factor of the original.
                              Full Review | Original Score: C

Benjamin Lee
                              Guardian September 10, 2018
                              Green can't seem to decide whether he wants it to be gritty and lo-fi or slick and cinematic and so ends up awkwardly between the two, anything resembling an atmosphere sorely missing.
                              Full Review | Original Score: 2/5

Top Critic
                              Brian Tallerico
                              RogerEbert.com September 10, 2018
                              It's just not scary. And that's one thing you could never say about the original.
                              Full Review | Original Score: 2/4

Keith Uhlich
                              Slant Magazine September 9, 2018
                              For all of the film's attempts to get back to the sinisterly sidling Michael of the first Halloween, his stealth movements no longer terrify because his fixations are less unthinkingly instinctual, more compulsively mortal.
                              Full Review | Original Score: 1.5/4

Comment

Joseph Falcone
                                Didn't Batman kill him in Batman Begins?

Most of those critic comments seem to be about comparing it to the original. I'd love to be surprised, but I know better to expect better than the original or even on its level because you can't recreate that in 2018. But yeah, the new film could easily come off as bad as Halloween 5. Wait, that's too harsh. Sitting in a darkened theater would be more enjoyable than that junk. >_<

Comment

Working...
                                X