Halloween (2018)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chex View Post
    Oh, no. Trust me, no. It's perfect where it is. Plus, you need the theme song during those awesome opening credits.
    Excuse me, what awesome opening? That opening was the worst thing about the movie! The rotted pumpkin idea looked so corny. Why couldn't they just have it be on fire or something? The credits went by too fast, the theme sounded generic, and the title display was lifted from the "Halloween" title display in the end credits of the original movie so they couldn't even be creative and make a new layout display. And give n how fast-paced the movie is, the opening like that doesn't work. The original and the sequel worked well with it because the plots were simple and taking their time. The sequel had a tad more action and deaths going on but nothing too outrageous and even if it did have that, the pumpkin opening still works due to it also being set on the same night as the first so it would get a pass I guess. But this movie? They should have ditched it altogether and did something else. Had the plot been more simpler and we had like 50% of the characters cut out, then it would have worked. Again, a regular pumpkin that is on fire, not that rotted crap they threw at us.

Comment

• Originally posted by DevonteHuntley View Post
      Excuse me, what awesome opening? That opening was the worst thing about the movie! The rotted pumpkin idea looked so corny. Why couldn't they just have it be on fire or something? The credits went by too fast, the theme sounded generic, and the title display was lifted from the "Halloween" title display in the end credits of the original movie so they couldn't even be creative and make a new layout display. And give n how fast-paced the movie is, the opening like that doesn't work. The original and the sequel worked well with it because the plots were simple and taking their time. The sequel had a tad more action and deaths going on but nothing too outrageous and even if it did have that, the pumpkin opening still works due to it also being set on the same night as the first so it would get a pass I guess. But this movie? They should have ditched it altogether and did something else. Had the plot been more simpler and we had like 50% of the characters cut out, then it would have worked. Again, a regular pumpkin that is on fire, not that rotted crap they threw at us.
      Oh, you scamp.
      People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

• I have the weekend off so I'm hoping to catch this sometime. We'll see.
        "So I have to go back and fix myself, and take care of myself, and I have to go back and I have to find my smile because somewhere along the line I lost it and I don't care, really, I don't care if it's unpopular, and I don't care if, uh, people want to make fun of me because I'm an emotional guy."

Comment

• This track gives me the chills. It feels nice to be surprised by Carpenter.

Comment

• I watched this last night. My initial reaction is that it's serviceable at best. Halloween II (1981) is a far superior sequel, IMO. It starts out well enough, but we fall into some familiar territory early on. Some nice 'shape' moments and at least one memorable kill. A few nods to the original, some switcheroo action, and the nod to Season of the Witch. My favorite scene involves Laurie's daughter near the end.

Now the Halloween series also has a WTF moment as dumb as F13 when the coroner eats Jason's heart in JGTH. SPOILERthe doctor inexplicably killing the cop to see "what it feels like".... dumb dumb dumb

If you haven't seen this yet, I recommend a movie rental.
            Without all of the hype/hoopla surrounding the series, this entry is above average, probably 6.5/10. Halloween 2018 is heavy on nostalgia. It's good, but nothing special. Since this is making big $$$ at the box office, probably $160-200 Million when it's finished, expect at least another sequel. Maybe this will inspire a new F13 movie as well.

Comment

• I somewhat agree Monkey. There's some excellent stuff in this film and besides the one story point you mentioned, nothing really dumb, so in that regard its the best sequel since the 4th one IMO. But there's a little bit too much fan service in there, and I say that as someone who loves the series.

One missed opportunity I felt was with the other escaped mental hospital patients. I would have really liked a scene where someone is being stalked and you think Michael's doing the stalking, then the big reveal is one of the other patients. Then when you don't expect it, Michael pops out.

My favorite scene is probably the bit with the motion detection lights. Great stuff there.

Comment

• I think what I feel is messing is a bit of cohesiveness. There are several strong scenes, but it always feels like there's a bit too much underlying it all. That's what stops me from totally enjoying the fan moments because there's already enough happening, I don't need something added on top of it. It's like the antithesis of H20 which really had to stretch itself to fill out the short run time. This has too much in it even after it was cut down. I'm interested in an director's cut just to see if it flows any better.
                People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

I think what I feel is messing is a bit of cohesiveness. There are several strong scenes, but it always feels like there's a bit too much underlying it all. That's what stops me from totally enjoying the fan moments because there's already enough happening, I don't need something added on top of it. It's like the antithesis of H20 which really had to stretch itself to fill out the short run time. This has too much in it even after it was cut down. I'm interested in an director's cut just to see if it flows any better.
                  My favorite scene is probably the bit with the motion detection lights. Great stuff there.
                  Enjoy it as well as Allyson and the music track right after. What was interesting is that the detector only goes off when the kid moves, alluding to Michael's supernatural element.

EDIT: Gah, hit the wrong button and made a new post.

Comment

• One thing that does bother me about the movie is SPOILERAllyson's father. His character seems a bit strange to me and ultimately pointless. When Michael kills him it doesn't really seem to matter. We don't even see Allyson or Karen have any kind of emotional reaction to his death, in part because they probably don't realize that it happened. It probably wouldn't have affected the movie much if he weren't there at all. This irks me a bit, in part because I think he could have been done better, and also because sometimes I feel like fathers are too easily dismissed as unimportant.

Anyway, I'm sure it comes as no surprise to anyone that they're talking about doing a sequel to this movie. Does anybody have anything in particular that they'd like to see them do with that? Personally, I think this would be a good time to explore the idea of SPOILERMichael as a ghost. Say that he does die at the end of Halloween 2018 but his evil spirit continues to endure, and on the next Halloween it manifests itself in a physical form to continue his reign of terror. It would be kind of like the Headless Horseman from Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, who was a ghost but had a physical form that could interact with the world around him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Reaper View Post
                      One thing that does bother me about the movie is SPOILERAllyson's father. His character seems a bit strange to me and ultimately pointless. When Michael kills him it doesn't really seem to matter. We don't even see Allyson or Karen have any kind of emotional reaction to his death, in part because they probably don't realize that it happened. It probably wouldn't have affected the movie much if he weren't there at all. This irks me a bit, in part because I think he could have been done better, and also because sometimes I feel like fathers are too easily dismissed as unimportant.
                      I got that, too. It's like they never existed... I completely forgot about them as well. Just a throw away character, really.

I didn't really have any expectations for this movie, Watched a lot of new and interesting horror films this month. This movie would have appealed to me a lot more about 10-20 years ago, but I'm not very big on retreading old ground these days. I viewed Halloween 5, Curse of Michael Myers, and H20 in the theaters when each movie came out. Halloween is now like Star Wars to me, I'll watch the next sequel eventually, but the thrill and anticipation is gone. I'll just wait for the video releases from here on out.

Comment

Oh, you scamp.
                        Excuse me? That better not be a derogatory name or you're asking for it. I didn't like the opening and thought it was cheaply made and an afterthought really.
                        Originally posted by Chex View Post
                        I think what I feel is messing is a bit of cohesiveness. There are several strong scenes, but it always feels like there's a bit too much underlying it all. That's what stops me from totally enjoying the fan moments because there's already enough happening, I don't need something added on top of it. It's like the antithesis of H20 which really had to stretch itself to fill out the short run time. This has too much in it even after it was cut down. I'm interested in an director's cut just to see if it flows any better.
                        This movie's faults is having too much going on and not having the room to breathe it all in. Didn't the makers say this was originally suppose to be two parts? They should have perhaps stuck with that idea to fully flesh out things. This is basically the Saw 3D treatment where they had to condense two story concepts in one and the finished product feels so underwhelming and rushed. H20's issue was not having enough going on and lacked what it could have explored. The short time span shows they needed some more story elements. Why were there even deleted scenes? You already have a short movie so why make it shorter? Same with Child's Play 2. The movie is EIGHTY MINUTES without the credits. There's like twelve minutes of deleted scenes on that bitch so why was there ANYTHING cut? Was John Lafia trying to make the shortest horror movie ever? If a movie is already pushing 90 minutes there is no need to cut out anything, and those deleted scenes tend to be really good. When will the filmmakers learn? But getting back to H20, yeah, there was just a lot missing. Laurie and Michael are siblings, yet we still don't have a clue how Laurie's life was with the Myers or the Strodes. That's something that the movie could have touched on. I think Beau Billingslea's character should have had more to do and been the movie's "new Loomis" who decided to be on Michael's tail to California and through him we learn more about Loomis during the twenty years that the movie just brushes off with a few dialogue. It kills me that Laurie doesn't even mention him nor do we know HOW or WHEN she knew Michael was her brother. That also could have been explored and could have added some meat. More backstory on John and Laurie's relationship could have been explored like some flashbacks to John as a young boy. John's father making an appearance in a couple of scenes could have also been displayed. There, about 15-20 minutes of extra material the movie could have used. How did they think a measly 84 minutes was ever enough to make this movie feel special. If they still did the retcon, I still would have hated it, but respected it a lot more than they pushed out.
                        Originally posted by Darth Reaper View Post
                        One thing that does bother me about the movie is SPOILERAllyson's father. His character seems a bit strange to me and ultimately pointless. When Michael kills him it doesn't really seem to matter. We don't even see Allyson or Karen have any kind of emotional reaction to his death, in part because they probably don't realize that it happened. It probably wouldn't have affected the movie much if he weren't there at all. This irks me a bit, in part because I think he could have been done better, and also because sometimes I feel like fathers are too easily dismissed as unimportant.
                        Agree completely. I love the idea of there being TWO parents in the mix because most horror movies tend to only have ONE parent in the picture to fully flesh out characters and not having to juggle them, but that gets a little old over time you're like, can we just have a movie where a character has BOTH parents in their life? But then it's lackluster. Karen was also useless and whined too much. The movie could have done without her too. Allyson was best off being raised by Laurie and the parents dying at some point in her childhood.
                        [SIZE=12px]
                        Originally posted by Darth Reaper;n5509[/SIZE
                        Anyway, I'm sure it comes as no surprise to anyone that they're talking about doing a sequel to this movie. Does anybody have anything in particular that they'd like to see them do with that? Personally, I think this would be a good time to explore the idea of SPOILERMichael as a ghost. Say that he does die at the end of Halloween 2018 but his evil spirit continues to endure, and on the next Halloween it manifests itself in a physical form to continue his reign of terror. It would be kind of like the Headless Horseman from Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, who was a ghost but had a physical form that could interact with the world around him.
                        This is an idea they had for Halloween 4, an idea they should have had for H3, and an idea they should have went with for Halloween: Resurrection as opposed to that ridiculous paramedic switcheroo they made no effort during H20 to even make it seem like that's what they were going for besides "Michael" acting confused and grabbing at his mask. But him being pinned to that tree by a van and Chris Durand obviously still in the mask at that part just kills it. I have an idea for a sequel, but it's bizarre and a very stretchy way it could tie into the other movies which involves a bit of time travel, universe crossing, and some meta-ness. -_-

Comment

• Moderator note

Originally posted by DevonteHuntley View Post
                          Excuse me? That better not be a derogatory name or you're asking for it.
                          He did not use a derogatory term.

SCAMP

noun
                          INFORMAL
                          1. a person who is mischievous in a likable or amusing way.

All of the members of our community are expected to treat one another with politeness and respect. Please do not be aggressive or hostile.

Comment

• Originally posted by DevonteHuntley View Post
                            Laurie and Michael are siblings, yet we still don't have a clue how Laurie's life was with the Myers or the Strodes.
                            My impression has always been that there isn't much to tell. I've forgotten how Laurie was separated from the Myers family, but she was still really young when it happened, so there probably wasn't much drama revolving around her. And, it seems to me like her life with the Strodes was basically pretty normal and stable for the most part. The fact that Laurie might have occasionally asked questions about where she came from and didn't get much info from the Strodes seemed to be the only possible point of tension for her, and that was addressed in Halloween 2.

I have an idea for a sequel, but it's bizarre and a very stretchy way it could tie into the other movies which involves a bit of time travel, universe crossing, and some meta-ness. -_-
                            Yeah, that sounds a bit over-the-top for Halloween. I enjoy the supernatural element to the Halloween movies, but I generally prefer that it be handled with some subtlety and that the tone of the films remain more down-to-Earth.
                            Last edited by Darth Reaper; 10-28-2018, 04:31 AM.

Comment

• Does anybody have anything in particular that they'd like to see them do with that?
                              SPOILERI'd be down with the next one doing what Halloween 2's do best and start right up from the ending of the prior movie. However, Laurie's trap failed so all of her planning is for naught and the Strodes are now on Michael's radar and being hunted after. Or maybe Laurie has a backup plan. Or maybe Laurie hunts down Michael after learning of evidence that shows he survived and tries to put a stop to him before he keeps on slaughtering the rest of Haddonfield. Maybe after Lonnie's kid gets murdered though and after we're told whether that was cheese or pudding in the punch bowl.

Comment

• Ok, so against expectations I ended up going to see this tonight. I didn't think much of it as a movie but those opening credits were glorious. The score was great as expected but I didn't feel like it fit well with the visuals most of time. The reason being, well, this is a really flat looking movie unfortunately. They really should have got Dean Cundey to do it. Did they actually show PJ Soles on screen? I didn't realize she was in it until I caught it in the closing credits, but I thought the voice in the classroom sounded familiar. Maybe I just blinked and missed her?

The best part for me was the trailer for Happy Death Day 2U was attached. That's going to be super fun.

Also, I'm reminded of why I rarely go to the theater anymore because, seriously, my setup at home looks and sounds far better. That's kind of sad really.

Comment

Working...
                                X