NETFLIX recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NETFLIX recommendations

So I have seen all seasons of "Bates Motel" and "American Horror Story." Multiple times.

Anything on Netflix that has caught your attention recently? An independent or foreign horror movie, or a TV show?

Let us know by posting your comments below.

Penny Dreadful is my recommendation if you're in the mood for Victorian horror that involves several of literature's best horror characters including one of the greatest portrayals of the Frankenstein monster.
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

If you're looking for indie/foreign horror, I'd recommend you ditch Netflix and get Shudder...

Comment

Originally posted by Chex View Post
        Penny Dreadful is my recommendation if you're in the mood for Victorian horror that involves several of literature's best horror characters including one of the greatest portrayals of the Frankenstein monster.
        Sounds interesting.

V/H/S 2 made me fall asleep (I guess I got tired of the found-footage format).

Yesterday I attempted to watch "The Devil and Father Amorth," a documentary depicting a real exorcism directed by none other than William Friedkin ("The Exorcist"), but that got boring fast.

I often find myself re-watching episodes of "American Horror Story" and "Bates Motel."

I also watched the first season of Netflix's "Slasher," and that was okay, but nothing spectacular.

Comment

Sounds interesting.
          I do think you'd enjoy it based on other shows you like. Also, if it is available, check out Hannibal as well.
          People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Originally posted by Chex View Post

I do think you'd enjoy it based on other shows you like. Also, if it is available, check out Hannibal as well.
            Oh, I wish it were available. That show sounds like my cup of tea. And I highly respect the cast.

Comment

Penny Dreadful is a well done period piece with several classic horror characters thrown into the mix. I found it new and interesting; most of us are jaded in horror so I found this series quite refreshing.

Shudder is a good channel on Amazon; I had it for a time last year. The channel has a much wider range of classics; the overall quality of horror is far superior to Netflix.

Netflix goods:
              The VERY first movie you should see is "The Wailing". Watch that ASAP before it leaves the service. South Korea simply is the best in Asian horror.
              Troll Hunter is a decent horror/fantasy setting (Norway). An interesting take on old legends.
              The Ritual and The Void; both movies are unnerving.

Those suggestions are a little obscure; I left out the classics which I'm sure you've already viewed. You may find them hit or miss, but I think all 4 are worth your time. Especially The Wailing.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey View Post
                Shudder is a good channel on Amazon; I had it for a time last year. The channel has a much wider range of classics; the overall quality of horror is far superior to Netflix.
                The selection is only getting better these days. I really don't think they can be beat for a horror subscription service. And heads up, if you sign up at Shudder.com the code SHUDDERBA9 will get you a 60 day free trial right now. The code doesn't work if you go through Amazon though, it has to be through their site.

Comment

Oh, foreign horror just isn't my thing nowadays.

---

I managed to watch the original "The Conjuring" and love it. "The Conjuring" is a good movie, but it is very long, and in order to fully enjoy it, I think it's best to watch each act separately. There are just too many things happening in the third act of the movie.

I also watched the "Cabin Fever" remake, and it was okay.

"It Follows" felt very generic, nothing special.

I am curious about which horror movies Netflix will stream in October.

Comment

"It Follows" felt very generic, nothing special.
                    Hmmm. I'm not a big fan of it, but I don't think I've seen it called generic. The cinematography and the score pay homage to John Carpenter's work, but maybe that in itself isn't as special as it once was. However, the story and the creature are interesting. SPOILERThe creature takes the form of the victim's parent and basically screws them to death. The references to Homer's Ulysses / sex with the parent adds another layer as does the strange production including the clam-vagina looking kindle or whatever that was.

It's funny that nearly everyone that saw it came to the conclusion of the film's statement being that of "sex leads to death" in a horror movie as the curse is passed along like an STD. Then the director came out in an interview and declared he had no idea where that theory came from as it was never his intent. Perhaps not, but it does feel like a play on the slasher trope of kids having sex and then being marked for termination by the villain.

Comment

Working...
                    X