Friday the 13th lawsuit -- the saga continues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday the 13th lawsuit -- the saga continues

We will not get a new movie until this issue is resolved.

According to IPwire, Victor’s first draft may have been circulated before he signed an agreement with Sean Cunningham:

Miller wrote and provided a first draft to producer Sean Cunningham’s company without any contract or guarantee of payment, enabling Cunningham to raise money and attract talent to proceed with the project. The parties executed a screenwriting agreement on June 4, 1979, but newly discovered evidence suggests that Miller’s first draft was already complete prior to the date of that agreement. Specifically, a memo to Cunningham from his assistant documents a conversation with Tom Savini dated May 22, 1979

—its contents are significant because the assistant mentions that Tom requested to see a script and that she will send him the “first draft.” In addition, a letter addressed to Savini dated May 23 states, “I am enclosing the first draft of FRIDAY 13 [the working title at the time], as per our conversation yesterday.” This, of course, begs the existential question of how Cunningham’s assistant could have sent Savini the requested first draft script unless it had already been written.

This is an interesting development that was introduced late in litigation. If this is true, it would prove that Victor was not a work for hire employee and did indeed conceive of the story before being employed by Sean Cunningham. In affect, it could help dismiss the suit against Victor Miller and finally brings the rights issue to a close, or at least a negotiation of rights between all parties involved.
    http://www.fridaythe13thfranchise.co...ould-sway.html

A little more background here: https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...-13th-lawsuit/

Update here: https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...-legal-battle/

Basically Miller is entitled to legally (and in my opinion, ethically) to stake an ownership claim over a piece of work he’s written. Sean Cunningham claimed Miller was a ‘for hire writer’ and was paid to write a script based on a story, whereas Miller says (and the court has agreed) he wrote it himself and wasn’t paid for hire.

I’ve been seeing a lot of social media activists (you know, those cancers that like posts and comment degrading things about the new female Doctor in Dr Who) who are furious with Miller and sending death threats. “You’re the reason the game has no new content. You’re the reason we haven’t got a new film.”

Actually, if people bother to read, it’s clear: Cunningham is a bit of a prick and wants to hold on to his cash cow and not give up rights or entitlements. Imagine Sam Raimi lost the rights to Evil Dead? Does he not deserve public recognition and residuals for his franchise? Same thing there: Miller wrote the movie, and deserves credit and residuals.

Now, what does this mean for the future of the franchise? It’s still unclear, because the court case is still ongoing; only part of the case has concluded. But, Miller is credited as creator of the Pamela character, boy Jason (NOT adult Jason - not Sackson or Hockeymask Jason), Friday the 13th name, Crystal Lake etc. So perhaps, similar to when New Line Cinema got the rights for future Jason films, they didn’t have the right for the ‘Friday the 13th’ name. Horror Inc can continue to make films, but right now it’s about splitting the assets and figuring out who owns what exactly. It’s basically a divorce and things need to be split fairly.

But you’ve also got the issue of Pamela appearing in Part 2, and flash backs of Boy Jason, or Boy Jason in Part 8, and FvJ etc. So the next step, as I understand, is for the assets to be split and ownership delegated.

I feel pretty confident a new movie will come out. It’s too profitable. The problem is - BECAUSE it makes money - the rights need to be figured out. Miller wanted a slice of the pie he helped make. It’s not his fault. It was Horror Inc not wanting to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Andiac View Post
      The problem is - BECAUSE it makes money - the rights need to be figured out. Miller wanted a slice of the pie he helped make. It’s not his fault. It was Horror Inc not wanting to share.
      Miller was not paid or hired to write the script. Thus, I agree that he deserves his slice of the pie.

Heck, if I were him, I would be pretty annoyed with Pamela and parts of the original story being referenced in the sequels.

Comment

Even with Miller winning this is still, unfortunately, a long way from over.
        Adult Jason and his image weren't ruled on by the judge and he said it wasn't within the scope of the suit, so that is a whole different thing that needs to be processed.

Comment

People love money. Because the "Halloween" box office opening did very well, I think it's a matter of time for all the parties to settle and a new "Friday the 13th" hit the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Westin View Post
            People love money. Because the "Halloween" box office opening did very well, I think it's a matter of time for all the parties to settle and a new "Friday the 13th" hit the screen.
            You know, if this was any other series I would agree. However, this franchise has a history of striking while the iron is hot. Freddy v. Jason was huge yet they failed to get a followup project going. Even individual films would have been something to cash in on. Then there was the reboot. Granted, it had a massive dropout after its first week, but still made bank. Any attempt to followup on it met with disaster. Friday the 13th missing out on some sort of classic slasher revival seems more likely than cashing in when it should.
            People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

I wrote this comment on Dave McRae's latest video regarding Lebron James pitching in money for a new F13 movie and I figured I should just copy and paste the thing here because it's basically going to be the same comment I wanted to contribute here in this discussion. It saves me the writing.

Basically, we don't need a new Friday the 13th movie. We don't need a new Nightmare on Elm Street movie. Those stories have been dragged out and flipped around as many things that even a reboot series couldn't even be original with them. Rebooting them would be pointless because where can you go with them next that we haven't seen out of the endless sequels of their original series? This is why these icons just need to be put to rest and Hollywood need to start focusing on NEW icons to spring up and not be stuck resurrecting what already had it's fair run. The only thing I see coming out of both franchise is one more crossover movie that we should have had for years now. A Freddy Vs. Jason 2 set between the first movie and Jason X. Give these guys one final fight and final hurrah and then end it. Jason met his end at the end of Jason X being burned up through the atmosphere, but there's still one more story you can do with him so it should be before Jason X so we have a film that helps transition from Freddy Vs. Jason and Jason X better. But if this is gonna follow Freddy Vs. Jason, then Freddy should be involved. Freddy can have his final demise in the movie and spare the need of another individual sequel that's probably gonna be nothing new or different anyway. Another crossover movie would be perfect since there's more originality with the clashing concept and you're killing two birds with one stone if you want to end off both franchises at once. Also, this could open the door for other horror crossover movies. Why should the Superhero movies get the crossover glory?

As Chex stated above, it's a shame nothing further was done with the crossover aspect and I think now is the time they do that. No more reboots or a regular sequel and certainly no pathetic retcons like the Halloween 2018 movie did. Just a crossover that closes up ties and closes up two franchises that has ran their course.

Comment

Jason Blum/Blumhouse has expressed interest in rebooting/remaking the Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Whether Blum will be successful, time will tell. Given the fact that Halloween has been performing very well, I think it's a matter of time. Money decides everything.

Comment

Oh HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO. Blumhouse needs to stay AWAY from either franchise. We don't need them getting involved doing the same crap they did to Halloween. They got Halloween and screwed that up. They don't need to be getting crazy now like now they can tackle everything else. Look at Platinum Dunes. They had their hit with Texas Chainsaw Massacre that they managed to spawn a prequel, so they thought they could tackle Amityville, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc. and look how they turned out. Mediocre at best and neither of the movies were able to spawn another tied to them. F13 and Nightmare remained dormant for years since Dunes touched them. Like I said, we need a final crossover movie to wrap both icons up, fill in the old continuities of each series and then just LET IT DIE. We don't need a reawakening for those icons. They had their share, every idea and concept involving them was used to death. A reboot series can't offer anything new but give us the same rehash we saw before in the earlier movies and for the most part, the movies will just be playing it safe and being too gory. Save that money and make new icons and new story aspects out of that.
                  Last edited by DevonteHuntley; 11-04-2018, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DevonteHuntley View Post
                    Look at Platinum Dunes. They had their hit with Texas Chainsaw Massacre that they managed to spawn a prequel, so they thought they could tackle Amityville, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc. and look how they turned out.
                    That particular remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre finished the opening weekend with $29.1 million at the U.S. box office. Halloween (2018), on the other hand, made 33.3 million on its opening day.

I think we know how trends work. Money talks and I think it's a matter of time for Blumhouse to start resurrecting modern horror franchises.

We have seen it happen before.

Comment

Well Blumhouse ought to just have their cake with Halloween and simply eat that. Just because we'd seen it happen doesn't mean it ought to and for the most part, it lead to failures and a waste of movies. Money may talk but quality does too and people don't need half-assed thought out movies that wrecked up continuities. Also, I don't need all these horror franchises looking the same. Halloween (2018) had such a Blumhouse look to it, I don't need that same look with F13 and Nightmare. Blumhouse needs to stick with their own creations and continue making more of that than trying to resurrect long passed due franchises that you can't really do anything more with.

Comment

Well Blumhouse ought to just have their cake with Halloween and simply eat that. Just because we'd seen it happen doesn't mean it ought to and for the most part, it lead to failures and a waste of movies. Money may talk but quality does too and people don't need half-assed thought out movies that wrecked up continuities. Also, I don't need all these horror franchises looking the same. Halloween (2018) had such a Blumhouse look to it, I don't need that same look with F13 and Nightmare. Blumhouse needs to stick with their own creations and continue making more of that than trying to resurrect long passed due franchises that you can't really do anything more with.
                        I have not yet seen Blumhouse's Halloween, but Blumhouse's Halloween is definitely a hit. It cost only 10 million to be made and it made, so far, over 126.7 in ticket sales. It even surpassed It (2017). It might become the highest-grossing horror movie of all time.

And, yes, Blumhouse, is definitely interested in remaking/rebooting other horror franchises, as you can see by clicking here. You might not like it, but Blumhouse may be the new Platinum Dunes.

I am not sure if I would welcome a reboot of A Nightmare on Elm Street, but I would welcome a reboot of Hellraiser, as long as Clive Barker is involved in some capacity. We haven't had a solidly directected Hellraiser movie since Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992)
                        Last edited by Westin; 11-05-2018, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Westin View Post
                          I have not yet seen Blumhouse's Halloween, but Blumhouse's Halloween is definitely a hit. It cost only 10 million to be made and it made, so far, over 126.7 in ticket sales. It even surpassed It (2017). It might become the highest-grossing horror movie of all time.
                          That's good. Just a shame the movie couldn't be tweaked the way I wanted it to. Then I could be happy of it carrying out the franchise some more.
                          Originally posted by Westin;n5577And, yes, Blumhouse, is definitely interested in remaking/rebooting other horror franchises, [B
                          as you can see by clicking here[/B]. You might not like it, but Blumhouse may be the new Platinum Dunes.
                          I swear they better not retcon a thing or I wish them nothing but disaster. You can't say you're a fan of the franchise but then want to disrespect the movies by erasing them like they did with Halloween. That was the stupidest thing they could have ever done.
                          Originally posted by Westin;n5577 I am not sure if I would welcome a reboot of A [B
                          Nightmare on Elm Street[/B], but I would welcome a reboot of Hellraiser, as long as Clive Barker is involved in some capacity. We haven't had a solidly directected Hellraiser movie since Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992)
                          Well Hellraiser: Judgment was apparently good. Not sure if you seen it. I haven't, but I did some reading of reviews and watched the trailer and it looks far better than some of the last direct-to-video sequels especially Revelations. YUCK. The actor they got for Pinhead is much better than the guy in Revelations. The ending scene is just abrupt. No need for a reboot of anything at this point. You might as well do a sequel. The last several have been stand-alone anyway and be no real different from a regular reboot.
                          Last edited by DevonteHuntley; 11-05-2018, 10:08 PM.

Comment

That's good. Just a shame the movie couldn't be tweaked the way I wanted it to.
                            Become a director.

Comment

Just wanted to add in a small correction to this. Halloween isn't close to It's numbers although it's done spectacular for the series. As per boxofficemojo:

Halloween 2018:
                              Domestic - $156,968,730
                              Foreign - $ 88,000.000
                              Total Global - $ 245,268,730

It:
                              Domestic - $327,481,748
                              Foreign - $372,900,000
                              Total Global - $700,381,748

Without adjusting for inflation, It is the highest grossing horror film of all time.
                              Last edited by Chex; 11-13-2018, 08:18 PM.
                              People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Working...
                              X