Random Horror Thoughts: The Lament Configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Horror Thoughts: The Lament Configuration

So I like how Hellraiser II just sort of ignores the rules of the first.

The whole "It is not hands that call us, it is desire!" is a really convenient way of keeping the mute girl out of the Cenobite's hands at the middle point of the film. That shit certainly didn't work of Kirsty in the original film. She had no more clue what she was doing with the box than the mute girl did, but they still wanted to drag her ass to hell anyway. #CenobiteHypocrisy

• Bearded Hoody
    replied
    I had a dream about Student Bodies (1981) Saturday night. I haven't watched it since the first year I was dating Mrs BH so that's a decade. I need to rewatch it with late 30s eyes and review it. It is the movie my pal that passed away used to quote the most with me. Also, through Googling in the last 24 hours I discovered that information on the actor "The Stick" (Malvert) finally exists. I don't know how long it has been since I last looked, but previously there was only speculation. I was saddened to learn he died in 1989.

Anyway, for Ricky, for The Stick, and just for shits and giggles, it's my end of the week goal to watch it.

Leave a comment:

• Chex
    replied
    I'm just going to drop this off here without any comment or suggestion as to what film it's from.

Last edited by Chex; 02-03-2019, 05:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Westin
    replied
    Originally posted by Chex View Post
    John Carpenter versus Nintendo Labo.

He is actually obsessed with video games and spends the whole day playing them.

Leave a comment:

• Monkey
    replied
    I will probably check that out someday. The '99 version is meh.

Finally saw (760) Zombie Hood. I've never been able to find it on streaming until last night.

There are a few memorable bits. The creator/writer/producer/etc. is a cinephile. Homages include iconic scenes/imagery from Night of the Living Dead, E.T., and Gladiator. A particularly gruesome bit involving a bathtub stands out in what is otherwise a bland flick. One of the characters likes to point guns at people for no reason. If I were English, I'd probably call him a twat or wanker. He was almost as annoying as the teacher from Jason Takes Manhattan. This movie is full of the scariest kind of horror villain: the magically appearing out of nowhere to bite your ankle zombie. Not a single human survivor in this movie has an IQ north of 90. Not a single person in the movie should be allowed to carry a firearm. The people on screen excel at making bad decisions, and consistently daydream whenever zombies start to close in on them. You may find yourself yelling at the TV only to be speechless for the final scene. Overall it was fairly entertaining, but man... the people are STUPID.

Zombie Hood is a training video: It shows you what NOT to do in a zombie apocalypse.

Finally, has anybody else noticed a lot of big name stars from 20-30 years ago are doing a lot of work on Amazon and Netflix? Sandra Bullock and John Malkovich are both in Netflix's Bird Box. That's just one example. I knock Netflix for its lack of variety, but at least they're constantly creating new content and using talented people as well. Bird Box could have been released in theaters; the production values are good.

Leave a comment:

• Natman
    replied
    Originally posted by Monkey View Post

Random Thought: Have there been any decent horror movies with the word "Haunting" in the title?
    The Haunting (1963). One of the best of its sub-genre.

Leave a comment:

• Westin
    replied
    Thank you so much for this list, Monkey.

I am currently watching Hellraiser: Judgement. By watching it, though, I mean that I am trying to get into it. It has an interesting concept, but I haven't finished watching it yet.

The last horror film I watched on Netflix was "Sabrina" and it was like an Indonesian version of The Conjuring. I didn't enjoy it much, but the movie had some great scenes and it felt atmospheric at times.

Leave a comment:

• Monkey
    replied
    Netflix does a lot of dtv stuff. 5 or 6 years ago they had more quantity and quality. With Hulu, Amazon Prime, and several other streaming channels now, I guess the prices for securing everything went up. They've lost a lot of content to competitors over the years.

Netflix does have some decent stuff as of this post. I've sorted through the garbage to give you some recommendations:
    Terrifier (B-movie/Clown Stuff)
    The Babysitter (Horror Comedy)
    Stitches (Horror Comedy with Clown Stuff)
    As Above, So Below (Demonic)
    The Witch (Period Piece)
    The Wailing (Foreign)
    Green Room (Horror Drama)
    Beyond the Gates (80s Inspired)
    Creep (Found Footage)

Any of the above are worth a watch, IMO. Other than a handful of mainstream popular titles I'm sure you've seen (or know you've seen like The Shining or The Conjuring), there isn't much there. 95% of the horror movies Netflix has on streaming hold no interest to me. Apostle and Bird Box are probably the only horror flicks on Netflix right now that I haven't seen and want to see.

Random Thought: Have there been any decent horror movies with the word "Haunting" in the title?

#756: A Quiet Place. Very unique premise. So much suspense in a lot of places with an interesting ending. This is definitely horror for the masses; I can see why it was so popular. At least a 7/10 for me.

Leave a comment:

• Westin
    replied
    Why is it that I can't find any good horror movies or tv shows on Netflix?

Leave a comment:

• Monkey
    replied
    Garbage Day!

A Quiet Place is probably the only other horror movie from this year that I'd like to see. Let me know what you think.

Leave a comment:

• SanicHeghog
    replied
    Watched a couple of Silent Night, Deadly Night movies cause they were on the Starz channels and it was the Christmas season, so figured I would try to watch something new and seasonal. Fucking terrible movies.

Got "A Quiet Place" as a Christmas gift. Hopefully its as good as I've heard it is.

Leave a comment:

• Monkey
    replied
    Has anybody seen Hereditary yet?

Only four movies have put me in a state of genuine fear.
    Halloween (78)
    Exorcist III
    Quarantine (the ending)
    Hereditary

Hereditary doesn't rely on jump scares. It's just expertly crafted to legitimately put you in a state of dread. I think one of the main reasons is that, in many cases, you see the warnings and threats before the character. My favorite scene in a Friday the 13th movie is from part 2. Ginny is in Jason's cabin and through the window you see Jason running toward her. There is scene towards the end of this movie that is just so... oh man. It's incredible. I caught what I was supposed to (or NOT? supposed to) see right away, and that made the time seem to stop, so much more suspenseful.

The ending of Hereditary is way out there, but overall... I cannot recommend this movie enough. Superb acting, a couple of plot twists, terrifying visuals (that do not need over the top music to tell you its scary), incredible special effects. Such sadness and loss as well; a few scenes are particularly gut wrenching.

Hereditary really has it all and is the best horror movie I've seen in 30 years.

Leave a comment:

• Chex
    replied
    Checked out the episode of The Goldbergs. As far as the show, it's alright.

Enlgund's cameo was...weird. He's older and gained some weight, but the makeup looked a bit strange. Reminded me of Super Freddy from Nightmare 5. His voice sounded a little off at first also. I dunno. On one hand it was cool to see him back in the saddle once more, but on the other it felt like a warm-up exercise before they had enough time to finalize and perfect everything.

Leave a comment:

• Chex
    replied
    Latest interview with Robert Englund suggests maybe he has one more installment left in him:

Link

I think they want to reboot the franchise, but they’re gonna need a new actor,” Englund told the show’s hosts. “They’re gonna need a new actor to play Freddy because they’re gonna have to do eight of them. I might have one left in me… but yeah.”
    Honestly, I kind of get the opposite vibe from the interview as it sounds more like Englund is saying maybe, at best, he could do one more but that's a moot point as it's not what the studio would want. I can't really tell if he would be up for it or not. Then again, Halloween just made an absolute splash at the box office so...

Leave a comment:

• sagittarius
    replied
    Um, so this is a thing somehow. What a world.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X