No announcement yet.

Random Horror Thoughts: The Lament Configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dracula's Daughter is just very special. It really worked for me. I was surprised to see it doesn't seem to have a very big reputation. I don't think I could seriously entertain any argument that Dracula was the better picture of the two. I mean, Bela's performance was obviously off the charts but was the film around him really worthy of it?

Bride blows the original Frankenstein away IMO. Don't get me wrong, there's some really strong stuff in the first one, but Bride is just more accomplished from the first shot on. I like the manic, crazed feel of the whole thing and the reveal of the Bride herself may be the single greatest moment in any early horror film. Really the only thing I think the first one did better was the monster's makeup. I couldn't even tell you what the difference was, but I feel like he had a better look the first time around.

I saw Return of the Vampire a couple years back and aside from Lugosi I wasn't a big fan of it. I'm not sure how far into horror Columbia got but from what little I've seen their stuff hasn't clicked with me.

Will add Murders and Black Cat to my list. Thanks! Focusing on classic stuff I've never seen has made this one of the best Halloween seasons I've ever had. It's just terrific. One great new to me film every night and no end in sight yet. I'll be checking out The Old Dark House shortly.

Comment

I didn't start watching any of the Universal classics until about 6 or 7 years ago. Honestly have no complaint about any of these films; I'm quite fond of them all (the dozen or so I've seen). My favorite is probably the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

It has been several years since I've seen Dracula's Daughter. From what I remember, she didn't quite fit the 'monster' mold and was actually a decent vampire. I love and appreciate Bride of Frankenstein's crazy feel as well. It didn't place limitations on itself and was a little comedic as well. I have about 20 of these movies and have no access to them at the moment, but look forward to viewing them again someday.

Excellent choices in movies, sir.

Tonight's movie is supposed to be 1408. I just realized I have 1408 posts.

Comment

Mark of the Vampire is far better than it's reputation suggests. Ok, so it's very talky, the twist is a total cheat, and none of it makes any sense whatsoever... Wait, I'm not doing a very good job of defending it am I? Well, all of that is true, but it doesn't matter in the slightest. Every second Count Mora and Luna are onscreen is solid gold.

Comment

Originally posted by sagittarius View Post
          Mark of the Vampire is far better than it's reputation suggests. Ok, so it's very talky, the twist is a total cheat, and none of it makes any sense whatsoever... Wait, I'm not doing a very good job of defending it am I? Well, all of that is true, but it doesn't matter in the slightest. Every second Count Mora and Luna are onscreen is solid gold.
          Exactly! The atmosphere and the gothic Luna along with headshot wounded Mora make up for most misgivings. Also, that scene of Luna flying down is awesome. You're right, the plot doesn't make much sense upon any type of scrutiny. Why would these performers go through so much when they probably aren't even being watched?

It's a remake of Lon Chaney's Sr.'s movie called London After Midnight with some fantastic makeup.

Unfortunately, the film is lost. There is a photoplay restoration using still images and constructing the script with them, but it's obviously not the same. Honestly, if it gives any indication about the film, it's that the real draw is to see some of Chaney's greatest makeup effects. I remember reading that Forrest Ackerman saw it. When asked, he thought most people probably wouldn't like it because it frankly wasn't that good.

Er, anyway, Mark of the Vampire rules! I'm actually off this Saturday and, with it being Bela Lugosi's birthday, am thinking of watching several of his titles including Mark.
          People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Not that I wouldn't want to watch it, but it's probably for the best that London After Midnight is lost. It probably works better as a legend than a movie and as you said, the real draw is his makeup and we've all seen it already. Not in motion of course, but maybe that's for the best too. I recall reading somewhere that the character (supposedly) moved around with a silly shuffle or something like that?

I watched The Black Cat last night. This was awesome. Lugosi just owned this movie. I don't dislike Karloff or anything, but he was completely outshined in every scene they had together. Well, he was in Son of Frankenstein too. Bela's charisma was just too big. It's a crime he only got second billing here.

Comment

I think there is a three second clip of him moving about and it seemed fine. Maybe I imagined it. I don't know. The movie could be crap, but I'd watch it just to get more moments of that makeup.

Fucking love The Black Cat! The strange look, the architecture, the revenge plot, the lighting, the cult and devil worship, necrophilia...it's all awesome. I remember reading somewhere that one theory is Karloff's character may be undead which explains his peculiar movements and slowed speech along with the comment about how "even the phone is dead." It's amazing what Ulmer tried to get away with when the studio head's were gone. Too bad they came back and somethings had to be changed.
              People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

John Carpenter versus Nintendo Labo.

Comment

Um, so this is a thing somehow. What a world.

Comment

Latest interview with Robert Englund suggests maybe he has one more installment left in him:

Link

I think they want to reboot the franchise, but they’re gonna need a new actor,” Englund told the show’s hosts. “They’re gonna need a new actor to play Freddy because they’re gonna have to do eight of them. I might have one left in me… but yeah.”
                    Honestly, I kind of get the opposite vibe from the interview as it sounds more like Englund is saying maybe, at best, he could do one more but that's a moot point as it's not what the studio would want. I can't really tell if he would be up for it or not. Then again, Halloween just made an absolute splash at the box office so...

Comment

Checked out the episode of The Goldbergs. As far as the show, it's alright.

Enlgund's cameo was...weird. He's older and gained some weight, but the makeup looked a bit strange. Reminded me of Super Freddy from Nightmare 5. His voice sounded a little off at first also. I dunno. On one hand it was cool to see him back in the saddle once more, but on the other it felt like a warm-up exercise before they had enough time to finalize and perfect everything.

Comment

Working...
                      X