No announcement yet.

Random Horror Thoughts: The Lament Configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea what The Goldbergs is, but apparently it's my new favorite show.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/352...ode-goldbergs/

Comment

Yessssssssssssssssss!

Attached Files

Comment

Holy fucking shit, that is awesome! I've caught a few episodes here and there on TV and it's fun. Basically a show about a nerdy kid growing up in the 80s. So when do the rumors start flying about how Englund is set to return as Freddy in an upcoming installment?
        People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Ha, they've already started (see below). I'm always down for another crappy Freddy sequel, but at any rate getting him back for Halloween is an unexpected treat.

First things first: Englund still looks and sounds perfect as Freddy. Yes, the actor may be 71 years old, but who can tell under all that makeup? In recent years, Englund has said that he’s now too old for the part, whenever asked if he would return to play Freddy once more. But he’s obviously changed his mind, as he’s willing to put on that red and green sweater again for an appearance on a TV comedy. So could there be more to this return to Freddy than meets the eye?

Our educated guess is that Englund has seen all the positive buzz surrounding Jamie Lee Curtis and John Carpenter’s return to the Halloween franchise, in the forthcoming sequel that is set to hit next month, and maybe wants something similar to cap off his career as Freddy. Could Englund be gearing up for a Halloween style “many years later/back to basics” sequel of his own? New Line has to realize this would be far more popular than another reboot. And next year is the 35th anniversary of Wes Craven’s original A Nightmare on Elm Street. It certainly seems the stars are aligning, and this might be the first hint.
          https://nerdist.com/robert-englund-f...the-goldbergs/

Comment

I knew the success of the upcoming Halloween would factor into the rumors. Still, I'd be down for studios to take another look at their properties and decides to follow suit if it means another outing with Englund as Ferdie.
            People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

"The glove still fits...."
              "So I have to go back and fix myself, and take care of myself, and I have to go back and I have to find my smile because somewhere along the line I lost it and I don't care, really, I don't care if it's unpopular, and I don't care if, uh, people want to make fun of me because I'm an emotional guy."

Comment

I saw John Carpenter's Halloween at my local Epic today. It's the first time I've gotten to see it in a theater and as usual totally worth the price of admission. As I was walking through the parking lot I saw a family that was in the theater with me & I heard their teenage daughter say, "Annie was, like, the worst actor ever!" My mind blanked and I felt really old for a minute, then I just shook my head, got in the car and left. I have never found anything wrong with Nancy Loomis' acting especially in Halloween but I guess this is where that old adage applies, something about opinions & assholes.
                "We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all." -- Andrew Clark, The Breakfast Club (1985)

Comment

I remember thinking Nancy Loomis was terrible because of how she emphasizes so much in her dialogue while slowing down the pace to a crawl. Then I came around to enjoying her acting and the character. I'd probably say she's my favorite of the three.

Comment

Pics of Englund in The Goldbergs are out. Man, could they possibly have done this any better? Totally nailed it. Never mind Cashgraboween, this is the horror event of the season.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/352...image-gallery/

Comment

Damn does that look on point!

*throws money at Englund*

Come back for one more entry! Please!

Comment

I've been watching tons of Universal monsters this season as I've somehow managed to overlook most of them through the years. It's been really great.

So after Ghost of Frankenstein, any further appearances by the monster were not really the original Frankenstein's monster but actually UBER IGOR? Is this ever addressed again? I'm guessing no...

Comment

Originally posted by sagittarius View Post
                          I've been watching tons of Universal monsters this season as I've somehow managed to overlook most of them through the years. It's been really great.

So after Ghost of Frankenstein, any further appearances by the monster were not really the original Frankenstein's monster but actually UBER IGOR? Is this ever addressed again? I'm guessing no...
                          It's not as the studio heads thought the idea of the monster talking with Lugosi's voice looked comical. I'll have to rewatch it, but I think the monster may still be blind in Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, but it's never commented on. After that, the monster is mostly an afterthought in the group pictures. It may have 5 minutes of screen time total in House of Dracula and some of that is reused footage from other movies.

Any favorites that stand out in your viewings?

Comment

Its too bad that they didn't keep going with the Igor Monster. The short bit he was in Ghost of Frankenstein was great.

Comment

Ah, I just learned it's spelled Ygor rather than Igor. Thanks wikipedia. I saw Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman when I was a kid and remember absolutely nothing about it. I don't know how accurate the wikipedia entry is, but it sounds like it was at least shot Ygorified and then changed before release:

The original script — and indeed the movie as originally filmed — had the Monster performing dialogue throughout the film, including references to the events of Ghost and indicating that the Monster is now blind (a side-effect of the brain transplant as revealed at the end of the previous film, and the reason for his iconic stiff-armed "Frankenstein Walk"). According to Siodmak, a studio screening audience reacted negatively to this, finding the idea of the Monster speaking with a Hungarian accent unintentionally funny (although the Monster spoke with Lugosi's voice at the end of Ghost of Frankenstein, the audiences had been carefully prepared for it by the plot of the film). This has been generally accepted as the reason virtually all scenes in which Lugosi speaks were deleted (though two brief scenes remain in the film that show Lugosi's mouth moving without sound). All references to his being blind were also eliminated, rendering the Monster's groping gestures unmotivated. Close-ups of Lugosi's eyes during the revitalization scene and his evil, knowing leer to Patric Knowles were supposed to indicate that his vision had been restored, but in the ultimate context of the film this mean nothing. Consequently, Lugosi is onscreen literally for only a few minutes, leaving the Wolf Man as the film's primary focus.
                              I wish they would have made an Ygor-centric prequel to Son of Frankenstein. Just a movie following him in his daily life of stealing bodies (they said).

Originally posted by Chex View Post
                              Any favorites that stand out in your viewings?
                              No contest here: Dracula's Daughter! I wasn't expecting much but I loved this film. Runner ups would be The Invisible Man and Bride of Frankenstein (the Bride's reveal scene is truly epic). My least favorite so far is The Werewolf (though of course that one was Colombia instead of Universal). I've been having a great time though. Really enjoying the black and white mood this year.

Comment

Dracula's Daughter is surprisingly poignant thanks to its leading star. I need to revisit it sometime. Son of Dracula is interesting just because of how strange it is although Lon Chaney, Jr. is an incredibly well-fed looking vampire. Bride rules and I almost want to say it's better than the first film, but damn, I can't stand Una O'Conner in the first 15 minutes. What's weird is that I enjoy her in the other movies like The Invisible Man.

Check out Return of the Vampire if you can. It's one of Lugosi's finest as a vampire. Plus, the setting of post-WWII gives it an eerie quality. I believe the werewolf make-up used in it is what was later re-used in The Werewolf. Since I'm at it, try out Murders in the Rue Morgue and the 1936 Black Cat with Lugosi. Both are good stuff with the Black Cat containing a surprising amount of dark material (satantic cult and necrophilia, for example) that director Edgar Ulmer managed to somewhat get pass the studio heads and the film commission.

Comment

Working...
                                X