Random Horror Thoughts: The Lament Configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Horror Thoughts: The Lament Configuration

So I like how Hellraiser II just sort of ignores the rules of the first.

The whole "It is not hands that call us, it is desire!" is a really convenient way of keeping the mute girl out of the Cenobite's hands at the middle point of the film. That shit certainly didn't work of Kirsty in the original film. She had no more clue what she was doing with the box than the mute girl did, but they still wanted to drag her ass to hell anyway. #CenobiteHypocrisy
    "How do you turn this off, then?"

I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I've always thought Nightbreed was Clive Barker's best film. Although the director's cut is better (follows the beats of the book more closely, and gotta love Anne Bobby singing in the night club), I still like the theatrical cut quite a bit. There's something about Midian that I get the urge to revisit once a year or so.
    Has anyone read Cabal? Quite a good read, and one of Barker's more accessible books.

Comment

Watching The Resurrected (1991). Got the Scream Factory Blu Ray for Christmas. I’ve always loved this movie and so happy to see a good copy of it, finally.
      One of the best representations of Lovecraft on film.

Comment

El Rey Network had like a 3 day marathon of the Nightmare on Elm Street series that I was watching a lot and it inspired me to watch the Never Sleep Again documentary for the first time, but God damn, this thing is long. Have to split it up into two nights. My favorite tidbit of information so far is how much of a shame it is that Clu Gulager didn't get a blowjob on the set of Nightmare on Elm Street 2.

Comment

Originally posted by tmfb View Post
          Watching The Resurrected (1991). Got the Scream Factory Blu Ray for Christmas. I’ve always loved this movie and so happy to see a good copy of it, finally.
          One of the best representations of Lovecraft on film.
          I spent like 5 years trying to track down a decently priced copy of this DVD because I couldn't believe I'd never seen it. Started looking through my backlog of movies that I'd watched, and it turns out that I actually DID watch it on Netflix around 2010 or so, way back when they had dope shit like this streaming. I have zero recollection of having seen this movie, so I'm interested in watching that Blu-ray...at some point.

Comment

Bates Motel is one of the best things I have seen on TV.

Comment

No Costas Mandylor, no sell.
              "How do you turn this off, then?"

Comment

So I figured someone on here might be currently using the service or has used it in the past, but I was curious if the Shudder horror streaming service was good or not? Its only $4 a month which seems like a pretty good deal and they have a decent amount of stuff, so I'm a little weary that the streaming isn't that great.

Comment

I thought I paid about $8 for shudder (part of Amazon Prime video) back in October. I used it for a horror movie challenge last year, because it had quite a few decent horror flicks. It's pretty damn good, however, the content didn't seem to change all that much over a month. If you don't get bored of the movies, it's worth it. Hopefully you get enough variety/updates. For $4 a month? Worth it.

Comment

Thanks. Actually, its $5 a month (still a good deal) but if you commit for a year, its about $48 for the whole year or $4 a month.

Comment

I'm looking at Shudder's library and I see some cool flicks. They've got access to Severin Films releases (Cathy's Curse, Wild Beasts, Burial Ground), Raro Video (Violent Cop, Play Motel), Drafthouse (Ms .45 which is one of my fave films, Wake in Fright), Redemption (Vampyros Lesbos, Two Orphan Vampires if you want to try out Jess Franco or Jean Rollin European movies) among many more from these labels as well as more recent titles. A surprising collection of shows like Tales from the Darkside along with Trailers from Hell.

At the cost of $4 or $5, I'd say it's worth it if you haven't seen many of these because if they're streaming releases from these home video labels, then the transfers should represent that. At least, that's my theory.
                      People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Not really a horror film, but has anyone else seen The Shape of Water? Truly something else...one of the best films of 2017. Extremely well done and engrossing.

Comment

I had a double feature last with The Devil's Wedding Night and The Devil Times Five. Wedding Night was a cool romp through a familiar vampire story starring Rosalba Neri and Mark Damon with moments of nudity because, hey, it's needed to pad out the time. It's hilarious how little the magical amulet actually mattered considered anyone holding it still fell under the power of female vampire. Devil Times Five was...not so good. I've seen the trailer dozens of times and the end result is the trailer surpasses the movie. Still, it does have some measure of entertaining as Boss Hogg from TV's Dukes of Hazard squares off against a young Leif Garrett. Where the movie loses me is how inept the adults are in every possible way.
                          People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Yeah... Devil Times Five was a bummer for sure. On the other hand I just noticed your post above your latest. Ms 45 is truly one of my favorites of the rape revenge genre and in my book is only second to Thriller: A Cruel Picture. Did you ever get to watch Burial Ground? That is one of the weirdest Italian zombie flicks ever due to the strange performance by Peter Bark, the adult actor playing a kid. I haven't seen some of the others you mentioned so I might give Shutter a try soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmojo View Post
                              Yeah... Devil Times Five was a bummer for sure. On the other hand I just noticed your post above your latest. Ms 45 is truly one of my favorites of the rape revenge genre and in my book is only second to Thriller: A Cruel Picture. Did you ever get to watch Burial Ground? That is one of the weirdest Italian zombie flicks ever due to the strange performance by Peter Bark, the adult actor playing a kid. I haven't seen some of the others you mentioned so I might give Shutter a try soon.
                              Mother, this cloth smells of death! Burial Ground is so much fun. I like how the deaths seem to alternate as well. You have a unique death followed by typical zombie chow followed by a unique death followed by zombie chow and so on.

I love Thriller! I'm torn though because the extra sex material doesn't feel needed (plus, it's not Christina Lindberg), but the eyeball scene much more powerful in the longer cut. I'm tempted to pick up the shorter cut that cuts out the additional sex footage and see how it plays out.

But, holy moley, the slow motion in Thriller has nothing on The Devil Times Five! That first kill by the children just draaaaags. It's terrible to say, but I think the film would have more enjoyable if you took the kids out and made it a drama about a guy bonding with his father in law while Boss Hogg mans up and proves to his wife he has a spine. Carolyn Stellar can still get eaten by piranha though.

Comment

Working...
                              X