Title Unsane
    Year 2018
    Rated R
    Released 23 Mar 2018
    Runtime 98 min
    Director Steven Soderbergh
    Writer Jonathan Bernstein, James Greer
    Actors Joshua Leonard, Claire Foy, Sarah Stiles, Marc Kudisch
    Plot A young woman is involuntarily committed to a mental institution, where she is confronted by her greatest fear--but is it real or a product of her delusion?
    Language English
    Country USA
    Awards N/A
    Production Fingerprint Releasing and Bleecker Street
    Website http://www.Unsane.Movie
    .................................................. ..........................
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

A thriller / horror film by Steven Soderbergh? Hell yes!

After watching it, I'm left feeling a bit empty. It could have been more. On one hand, I'm glad it doesn't go down the road (for more than 5 minutes) as to whether or not the lead is crazy and the events are all in her head. On the other hand, it felt like there was nothing surprising between the lead and her stalker. It's well acted and the performance by Joshua Leonard (The Blair Witch Project) is downright creepy and pathetic at the same time, but the most fascinating aspect is simply how institutions and insurance companies abuse the system to damage innocent people. A movie focused more on that would have been more interesting rather than the average chase climax.

The big hype about Unsane is that it's filmed entirely on an Iphone. My question is this--why? It creates an immersive atmosphere when you see the stalker filming the lead as the aspect ratio makes the TV looks like one big cell phone. It's like you're there. However, it only truly felt effective in those brief moments. Otherwise, I'm looking at close-ups and angles that show off a slightly harsher lighting than what I'm used to seeing. I don't feel like I'm there in the story as a participant nor do I feel like I'm watching it through another characters' eyes like when the main character is shown walking around town or at the institution. The story and aesthetic don't seem compatible in this example.
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Working...
    X