Title Rituals
    Year 1977
    Rated R
    Released 01 Aug 1978
    Runtime 100 min
    Director Peter Carter
    Writer Ian Sutherland (screenplay)
    Actors Hal Holbrook, Lawrence Dane, Robin Gammell, Ken James
    Plot Five doctors go on vacation deep in the Canadian wilderness. After all but one pair of the party's shoes disappear, the remaining shoed camper decides to hike out and go look for help. Soon after he leaves, however, his four companions realizes that something is very wrong when someone leaves a decapitated deer head just outside their camp. Even though they still don't have their shoes, they decide to follow their friend's trail out of the woods, but their path is blocked by someone who doesn't want to see them leave the forest alive.
    Language English
    Country Canada, USA
    Awards N/A
    Production Day and Date International
    Website N/A
    .................................................. ..........................
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Checked out the new blu-ray this evening and must say that the movie still holds up rather well. It's a mixture of a backwoods slasher like Just Before Dawn meets survival story. Deliverance is what comes to mind first although the antagonist is rarely seen. I completely forgot that the makeup and effects were created by Carl Fullerton of Friday the 13th Part 2 fame. Guess he found his niche with demented backwoods killers. I'm not sure which is the highlight of the film: the beautiful yet deadly isolated location or watching Holbrook's character lose his sense of values and morals when faced with the life of his friend on the line.

The color on the blu-ray looks more natural and there seems to be more definition, but it feels like the climax in the cabin is more in the dark compared to the DVD. I'll have to bust it out to compare sometime. It's certainly watchable, but it sticks out.
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Working...
    X