Title Curtains
    Year 1983
    Rated R
    Released 04 Mar 1983
    Runtime 89 min
    Director Richard Ciupka
    Writer Robert Guza Jr. (screenplay)
    Actors John Vernon, Samantha Eggar, Linda Thorson, Anne Ditchburn
    Plot Samantha Sherwood has worked with the well-known director Jonathan Stryker on all his major films. She naturally assumes she has been given the title role in his latest venture, "Audra". He tells her that she nn needs to do some background research on the part, so arranges to have her committed to an asylum (as Audra is a former psychiatric patient). She goes along with this, not realising that he intends to leave her there indefinitely and audition six young women of various professions for the part instead. She finally manages to escape, and returns to the spooky old mansion where the auditions are taking place. But who is causing the disappearances of the young hopefuls?? Is it Samantha? Stryker? Or is one of the actresses willing to kill for the coveted part?? Just who is the killer behind the old-hag mask???
    Language English
    Country Canada
    Awards N/A
    Production Jensen Farley Pictures
    Website http://synapse-films.com/
    .................................................. ..........................
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

I watched this on Amazon Prime today, it felt like viewing a 30-year-old VHS tape. Maybe it's the poor transfer, visuals, and 4:3 perspective.

First two general observations:
    1. The movie's style is reminiscent of an 80s TV drama, including the filming style and music.
    2. You can't see anything. It's as if somebody turned the brightness down to its lowest setting.

Curtains is a typical 80s slasher/mystery with a lot of cliched plot points and tropes. An actress is wrongfully placed in a mental asylum on a whim. This was pretty common in film a few decades ago; was it really that easy to commit somebody back then or just a pervasive urban legend that allows the audience to follow along without question? One of the patients receives a frontal lobotomy, so I'm guessing the latter. A would-be victim makes a tremendous amount of noise escaping through a snow-capped wilderness, while the killer is inexplicably silent (or uses the Voorhees' teleportation technique). The women are helpless, die quickly with little or no fight, and consistently make painfully stupid decisions. Finally... the car doesn't start for no particular reason.
    John Vernon plays the director; he's a man whore whose talents are completely wasted here.

Not much to see here. Just an average, paint-by-numbers slasher film from the early 80s. The ending has a slight twist, but it feels like they just got bored and wanted to end the movie. You'll be glad they did.
    4/10.

Comment

The film had a tough time being made which accounts for some its nonsense. Production on the movie stopped and when it started again, the script had undergone rewrites. Also, I believe reshoots were done as well in addition to the recasting of a role. One example of changes is when the body swings in from through the window from the second floor, that moment was supposed to be one of the characters flying through the window on a snowmobile.

I'm not saying a better looking picture quality would help the story (far from it), but damn if the Synapse blu-ray isn't a revelation compared to that murky VHS transfer that everyone was stuck with for decades. Here's an example of the blu-ray:

People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Working...
      X