Title The Intruder
    Year 1975
    Rated NOT RATED
    Released N/A
    Runtime 87 min
    Director Chris Robinson
    Writer Chris Robinson
    Actors Ted Cassidy, Yvonne De Carlo, George De Vries, Buddy Desaro
    Plot The lust for gold and the reading of a will brings eleven visitors to a remote island retreat, but an unseen, seemingly unstoppable evil follows to stalk them one by one. The bodies don't stop dropping until the final shattering conclusion. Who - or what - is the intruder? One thing is for certain: it will not stop until it kills them all.
    Language English
    Country USA
    Awards N/A
    Production N/A
    Website N/A
    .................................................. ..........................
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

For a proto-slasher, this sure does have a couple of similar moments that would appear in slasher movies just a few years later. There's a sequence in which a silhouette figure with wavy hair creeps along the hallways and staircase of the house at night that resembles something out of Halloween. The person even busts through a wall like Michael Myers does. There's also a similarity to a certain 1981 backwoods slasher that, honestly, only serves to tie up a plot point in the movie's final 30 seconds. I call this a proto-slasher because it has one serious difference between it and those films released during the late 70s-early 80s: the characters are in their thirties and older. No teenage hi-jinks to be found here. It's honestly refreshing to see adults as victims for a change.

On to the movie. It's a solid who-dun-it take on Ten Little Indians. It reminds me of Legacy of Blood. It's got greedy relatives who are invited to a remote location (in this instance, a decorative mansion on an island), an older relative that may or may not be dead who is stalking them, twists at the end that have twists of their own, and creative killings. If you're expecting gore in this, forget it. There are moments of aftermath, but the actual killings either cut away or involve strangulation. Zero nudity as well despite having an Angie Dickinson-lookalike in the bathtub. Not that it breaks the movie, it's just surprising. However, there is the most unexpected and possibly best yet worst kung fu fight sequence to ever appear in a slasher-esq movie that has to be seen along with its resolution. It's so terrible, it's fantastic.

The transfer looks great considering the history of the movie as indicated in the write-up on the reverse of the blu-ray cover. This is the only 35mm print of this movie and it's a film that nobody really knew existed until it was discovered. The fact that it's in the shape it's in is a miracle and there must have been some serious work on it. The write-up also mentions Garagehouse Pictures acquired nearly 200 other movies along with this including The Satanist which makes me excited to know what else. I figure The Dismembered is one of them also.

Is The Intruder worth checking out? Definitely as long as expectations are in check. Don't go in hoping to see a slasher film designed on showcasing special effects, but a murder mystery in which the cast is picked off one by one while trying to solve out who the murderer or murderers are.
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

I forgot to mention a certain character and his actions. When a deceased victim swings down from the rafters, hanging for all to see, the character screams out "vampire" as if he believes it's one of the undead. He's soon shown to be wrong, but it sets up his attempts at defending himself later. When confronted with the killer, he takes out a cross to ward off the evil. Let's just say it doesn't go so well for him after that, but it's interesting how a character thinks the killer must be superhuman. This idea is toyed with later with bullets that seemingly have been crushed after fired at the killer who is still very much alive. If this came out after 1978 and the onslaught of superhuman slashers, it would be seen as meta-humor. As it is, The Intruder was ahead of the curve.

Comment

Thanks for this...I was hoping you’d get to it sooner rather than later. Sounds about what I expected in some ways (little gore/nudity), but unexpected in others (possibly superhuman killer, twist ending). In some ways, it absolutely sounds ahead of its time. You also compared it to Halloween (1978), and considering that’s my favourite film, it has me even more intrigued. I’m definitely picking this up.

Comment

To be clear, there's just one scene that plays out of something like Halloween so don't go in with expectations of it following the traditional slasher trail. Still, I think you'll enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
          X