Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Friday the 13th go Direct to Video?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Friday the 13th go Direct to Video?

Given the successful transition of Child's Play to the Direct to Video market, I'm curious to know how people feel about Friday the 13th making a similar transition?

Personally, I think going Direct to Video is our best shot at getting new, semi regular releases in the franchise. Even if they're just "Jason" films that lack the Friday the 13th name, I'd rather see Jason getting up to his typical shenanigans on my TV than never seeing him in the theater again.

Where do you folks stand?
    Yes.
    100.00%
    No.
    0%
    "How do you turn this off, then?"

Years ago I would have said no way. But like you mentioned with Child's Play, series have gotten new life going direct to video via Netflix or whatever. In today's day it might be the best bet for getting Friday the 23th sequels in the future.

Comment

Direct to Video and Direct to Streaming features do tend to have much bigger budgets now than they used to. I was really surprised to learn that Netflix spends upwards of $30 million on some of their Original Films. A Friday the 13th film doesn't need nearly that big a budget to produce something the equivalent of the theatrical films we've already gotten.

Comment

Like you said, it worked for the Child’s Play franchise (Curse and Cult we’re both good), and at this point in time, I just want some fucking movies before I’m dead. If someone had told my eight year old self in 1989 that Part VIII was the end of the run of yearly movies, I never would have believed it. It’ll never be the same (nostalgia’s a bitch), but it would be better than nothing. Five - Ten million dollar budget, Jason, teenagers, Crystal Lake, and we’re good. Personally, that’s all I need out of my Friday the 13th movies.

Comment

Out of interest, have you seen Never Hike Alone? Aside from the obnoxiously loud dubbing of Jason's footsteps, it was pretty good.

Comment

I have. It should make Paramount ashamed that they couldn’t get their shit together in five years (?) with the property, and these guys were able to pull this off. I don’t really watch fan films, but definitely the best of the few I have seen. The ending with a certain character was great, too. Put a big ol’ smile on my face.

Comment

Originally posted by Myers, Michael View Post
              Years ago I would have said no way. But like you mentioned with Child's Play, series have gotten new life going direct to video via Netflix or whatever. In today's day it might be the best bet for getting Friday the 13th sequels in the future.
              Basically the way I feel. My first experience with DTV was garbage horror movies in the 90s. I was going to use the exact same examples MM used (Curse of Chucky, Netflix) as a counterpoint. If DTV is the way we get to see it, then so be it. I just hope they put a lot more effort into these movies than say, the latter half of the Hellraiser series.

Comment

If they treat it like the Chucky franchise, then yeah. Making these movies shouldn't cost any money. Just stick with a simple formula and do it like the film executives from the 80s did.

Comment

I agree, DTV is the best way, they have never been what you call, big budget movies, so I'm sure they'd make their money back, and like people have said any Friday The 13th movies would be better than nothing.

Comment

Eh, I still want to see Jason on the big screen. And, I'm worried that it will end up more like the Hellraiser films than the Chucky films. I fear that going DTV won't help F13 because it won't change the fact that the people in charge don't have their shit together.

Comment

Working...
                    X