No announcement yet.

Welcome to Twin Peaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, while he was in the coma. He just kind of glitches out at the end of the scene with the Fireman. Disappears basically. I have the dialog from that scene memorized:

Fireman: Listen to the sounds...(scratching noise)...it is in our house now.

Copper: It is?

Fireman: It all cannot be said aloud now. Remember 430. Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.

Cooper: I understand.

Fireman: You are far away.
    I can pretty much guarantee after the last two parts you won't be thinking about Chet.

Comment

3x17 - Part 17: The Past Dictates The Future
      We're going home.

I never would have guessed that Evil Cooper would meet his undoing at the hands of Lucy. O_o At least it makes the cell phone sequence now have a payoff. Looks like Evil Cooper got screwed over by the Fireman when he went through the portal. I'm guessing he thought he would be taken to Judy, but wound up at the Sheriff's station in Twin Peaks. What sucks is, unless I missed it, it was never said just what he wanted with Judy. I assumed he was screwing things up on her behalf, but that theory doesn't stick.

Green glove boy, Freddy, fulfills his destiny. His destiny of punching a ball containing Bob. That was sort of lame. It's nice to see they included Bob even though his actor passed away, but that was demeaning. For all the horror and terror Bob created, his last moments are as a ball bouncing around and getting punched until he breaks. Honestly, I would have been happier if Freddy's destiny was to use the glove to knock the jail cell door open to save Andy so in turn Andy could do something important to the overall plot. For fuck's sake, Bob the Ball? Also, I thought the woodsmen removed him from Evil Cooper several episodes back. I wonder if some things aren't really meant to be confusing, but that Lynch is not always on point with making things understandable. Oh well.

Turns out Jeffries is still one of the good guys after all. I'm sorry, but how the hell did Lynch not see he turned Jeffries into a tea kettle? He has a spout! It has steam coming out of it.

At some point, Briggs, Cooper, and Gordon had a secret meeting about how to tackle...Judy? When could that have occurred? Season 2 seems like the only possibility, but Cooper knew diddly about the Black Lodge, let alone some powerful entity demon. The answer to the humming in the Great Northern is--

---a portal! Not Laura or Josie. I'm good with that because it's not just any portal. It takes Cooper back in time to 1989. Thinking back, his comments right before leaving hit home and he knew what was about to happen. He tells the gang that he hopes to see them again or something like that. Cooper knows he's about to mess with the timeline and may destroy the Twin Peaks he (and viewers) have come to love.

Which brings me to the biggest moment in the show and that is Laura and Cooper meet. Hot damn, that entire sequence makes me almost forgive Lynch for Ball-o-Bob. I'm not sold on the idea that Laura's random scream seen in Fire Walk with Me is because she spotted Cooper in the woods. I mean, she screams, but then calms down enough to talk to James, run off into the woods, then hang out on a log, then not be frightened by Cooper moments later.

Cooper's (along with Briggs and Gordon) plan is to time travel back to 1989 and save Laura Palmer from being murdered. That's a hell of a twist. The followup with the other characters throughout the night and into the morning with Leo, Pete, and Josie is one of my favorite moments in the entire series. For those few seconds, everything came full circle but with a seemingly happy ending. Y'know, until Sarah / Judy goes ape shit and zaps Laura away. I'd say 7 out of 10 the season's creepiest bits involve Sarah. Take her scene here where she screams and starts stabbing at the photo of Laura only the photo remains unscathed. Judy has got quite the temper on her.

I'm dying to know how things would be changed if Laura didn't die. Couldn't Bob / Leland kill her some other night? It never seemed like there was anything special about the night she died, even to the Black Lodge residents. If she survived, perhaps with Cooper's help, would she be able to destroy Judy? Why am I even bothering to ponder these when I know Lynch is going to drop an ambiguous ending that won't imply one way or the other?

...............Audrey's story is over, isn't it? Man, what a waste that was. At least Jerry ran to Wyoming while nude after using his binocular powers to obliterate his nephew.

ADDED: Awesome that Julee Cruise made it. I had given up thinking she wouldn't be included.
      Last edited by Chex; 05-09-2018, 04:16 AM.
      People hyping up Wonder Woman to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen bigfoot rip off a man's dick before." -Me talking about 1980's Night of the Demon.

Comment

I'm just going to say how completely fucking amazing Sheryl Lee is that she can seamlessly pick up from that performance all these years later and make it work. Unbelievable.

AND OMG PART 18 NOW!!!!!!!!! I can't bite my tongue any longer...

Comment

Originally posted by sagittarius View Post
          I'm just going to say how completely fucking amazing Sheryl Lee is that she can seamlessly pick up from that performance all these years later and make it work. Unbelievable.

AND OMG PART 18 NOW!!!!!!!!! I can't bite my tongue any longer...
          I like how they wisely kept her face hidden for the most part. When you can make her face out more clearly later in the sequence, she still looked young. I don't know if digital tools were used or what. I agree, her performance felt seamless.

Episode 18 starts right now!!!!

....nah, kidding. It'll be tomorrow. >_<
          People hyping up Wonder Woman to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen bigfoot rip off a man's dick before." -Me talking about 1980's Night of the Demon.

Comment

Originally posted by Chex View Post

I like how they wisely kept her face hidden for the most part. When you can make her face out more clearly later in the sequence, she still looked young. I don't know if digital tools were used or what. I agree, her performance felt seamless.
            You know what's crazy is you briefly get a better look at her in the 1989 outfit in the behind the scenes extras, and she looks even better there than she does in the finished scene. I mean, it helps that Sheryl is the cutest girl ever and all, but still. It's nuts. 1992 was a long time ago but she can still pull off the visual.

Originally posted by Chex View Post
            Episode 18 starts right now!!!!

....nah, kidding. It'll be tomorrow. >_<
            You son of a bitch. That's it, I'm dropping spoilers:

IT WAS ABOUT THE BUNNY. There. Now you know.

Comment

IT WAS ABOUT THE BUNNY. There. Now you know.
              At this point, I honestly would not be surprised if Judy leaves Sarah's body and enters a bunny at which point Cooper contains it in the glass cage (now shrunk down) and gives it to Lucy as a pet to keep. The bunny dies from starvation as Judy accidentally creates a time loop in which Andy and Lucy spend all of eternity deciding which chair to order online.

I'M ON TO YOU, DAVID LYNCH

Comment

Ok, so clearly you did watch Part 18 already. Nobody could have correctly guessed that.

FIN

Comment

I just gotta figure a way to include a bouncing Bob and a green gloved kid complete with smiling and dopey looking James.

Comment

Sigh. I didn't want to warn you about how bad the Freddie bit was going to be because I didn't want to influence your reaction. I kind of put it out there in a roundabout way though when I specified the last 90 minutes was some of his best work. I figured if you did the math you'd pick up on the disclaimer about the first half of 17 but that's as far as I went with it. I haven't seen one single post from anyone online that liked that. I have no idea what Lynch was thinking. But fuck it, it doesn't matter. Nothing matters except that last 90 minutes.

Comment

• I meant to post this the other day, but forgot about it. I recently started watching the TV show, The Fugitive in which a man searches for his wife's killer, a one-armed man. While doing so, the husband is pursued by Lt. Phillip Gerard of the police. Mike in Twin Peaks inhabits the body of Phillip Gerard and has one arm. Yeah I know, I'm slow. >_<

To add to that, it finally dawned on me that the Man from Another Place (is now a tree) is probably Mike's missing arm. After all, he does say he's the arm. Or maybe he's not part of Mike. Then again, Mike has now taken his place in the Red Room.

Sigh. I didn't want to warn you about how bad the Freddie bit was going to be because I didn't want to influence your reaction. I kind of put it out there in a roundabout way though when I specified the last 90 minutes was some of his best work. I figured if you did the math you'd pick up on the disclaimer about the first half of 17 but that's as far as I went with it. I haven't seen one single post from anyone online that liked that. I have no idea what Lynch was thinking. But fuck it, it doesn't matter. Nothing matters except that last 90 minutes.
                      Was that around the 30 minute mark? Huh, I didn't notice. At least very little time was spend on Freddie. I don't mind the super strength he has or even the character himself. It's just a terrible way for Bob to go out. It's like a bad joke. It's as if Lynch enjoyed the humor in Lucy killing Evil Cooper and thought he would do the same to Bob, but it falls flat. Worse even.

Speaking of Bob, I'm trying to wrap my head about Sarah and Judy. I know you said the Final Dossier mentions Sarah was the little girl the bug enters, but that raises so many questions. How come she never exhibited any Judy powers before? Why did Bob enjoy terrifying her? Maybe Sarah was only recently possessed by Judy when the creature showed up briefly in the glass cage. On the other hand, Sarah possessed by Judy for so long would help explain why she had a psychic connection with Bob even if their relationship seems the opposite of a mother / son (the creature looked like it gave birth to Bob). It also leaves the question of who the little girl was and what happened to her after the bug entered her mouth.

Ok, so I'm back to where I started--the bug was Judy and has been possessing Sarah since she was a little girl.
                      Last edited by Chex; 05-09-2018, 05:25 AM.

Comment

• I really have to get around to reading the Final Dossier someday. A lot of it I won't care about I'm sure, but there should be some fun stuff. Actually even some stuff I don't care about could end up being fun. I can't say I was even slightly interesting in getting an update on Annie, but I've read the text on her and Frost dealt with it in a very cute way that made me smile.

Comment

• 3x18 - Part 18: What Year Is It?

....So that happened.

Honestly, I'm surprised the episode made as much sense as it did. I'm shocked Lynch didn't go full LOL mode and have Cooper and Laura appear as cherries inside of a pie that Gordon was about to eat while watching Invitation to Love. This, whatever the hell anyone thinks of it, can be theorized on. I'm not saying it's good. I'm not saying it's bad. Just that it can be tackled. Alright, so here goes.

It starts with Evil Cooper being returned down to seed form and used to grow a new Dougie. That's a nice, happy ending. Quite a stark contrast from how the episode ends. Don't try to fuck with evil or with time. Be a simple family man and everything will turn out good. No, really, that does seem to be the lesson.

Agent Cooper can't leave things alone. He's compelled to travel back to 1989 to save Laura and, I guess, somehow destroy Judy. It didn't hit me last episode at the time, but it's very much noticeable here--Cooper was not surprised by anything in episode 17. Of course, he visited with Briggs (and Gordon) at some point to discuss a plan to stop Judy. Briggs, now part of the White Lodge, has the ability to see the future much like the Fireman. He also floats around in the air as a disembodied head, waiting for that moment when five teenagers with attitude will appear before him. He informs Cooper of what's going to happen (again, like the Fireman) so Cooper knows all about Freddie, the Green Glove, Bob the Ball, Evil Cooper appearing at Twin Peaks, Gordon and the F.B.I. en route, etc. It's also the reason he's so chipper as he knows how it'll all play out.

Then it turns to shit when time traveling back to 1989. He rescues Laura and creates a new timeline. The problem is that Judy, being part of the Black Lodge / demonic / whatever, can tell this even though she's in the present (and technically in a different timeline once the rescue happens). Judy has the power to transport Laura away. Laura screams, Cooper turns around, and she's gone. Now Cooper is a totally different person. At first, I was thinking it's because no longer knows what to do or how events will occur.

I don't believe that's true or at least not fully. Cooper is back at the Black Lodge talking to Mike and getting the whisper from Evil Laura (Dopple-Laura or whatever you want to call her). At least, I think it's the doppleganger from what I can recall. Cooper sees The Arm who now says something different. I thought he originally told Cooper about needing to leave, but now he talks about the "little girl who lives down the lane". Jodie Foster reference aside, the dialogue is changed. Even the conversation with Leland seems off. Maybe the camera angle or else it's faster paced? I dunno. Something about it is a little different although the dialogue is the same (find Laura). It took me a minute to realize that this Cooper is not the same Cooper we just saw in 1989. Not completely. He's now part of this new timeline and in it, there was no Evil Cooper. That means he's free to leave which is why he does so with no trouble. In fact, he exits at the Black Lodge entrance he originally entered. It's also the same place Hawk investigates after talking to the Log Lady. Hawk starts to see the entrance, but it fades away. He then senses that something was supposed to happen. Well, yeah, Cooper was supposed to be able to leave. He couldn't because Evil Cooper fucked everything up by not playing by the rules.

Why is that? In this timeline, there was never a Cooper doppleganger. The only fore sure change is what was shown in the last episode. Laura is rescued, she does not die in 1989. Her living allows Pete to go fishing and that's what matters. Ok, probably not. But no Laura death means no Cooper venturing to Twin Peaks or at least not the same way / time. How and why events unfold is unclear, but for whatever reason, Cooper still ends up in the Black Lodge.

When exiting, he's met with Diane instead of Hawk. Again, events are different so Hawk has no reason to be there. Why Diane? Hell if I know. She almost seems to have the memories of Diane from the original timeline, but that doesn't make any sense. On the other hand, she did live in the void so maybe she has a connection that helps shield her from the changes. Speaking of change, Cooper is more like Evil Cooper. There are moments of the Agent Cooper everyone loves such as when he puts the beat down on the cowboys. Mostly he sounds and acts like Evil Cooper--detached, cold, and gives orders. He somewhat forces Diane to have sex. I was thinking she felt horrible as she remembers what Evil Cooper did to her (rape), but I think it's the situation she's now in. She complies, but she hates it so much she leaves the next morning. Oh,and I guess Dale and Diane are not their names in this timeline. It's Richard and Linda. Why? I have no fucking clue. I figured it must be code names, but what's the point of that? Nobody seems to be looking for them. As much as I like how 430 (the miles) and two birds, one stone (save Laura, kill Judy) factor into the story, Richard and Linda doesn't sit right with me.

Cooper finds Laura in Texas except her name is Carrie Page. The shot of the #6 electric pole finally puts something into perspective. I mean, it's already been driven home by this point, but it's a way for Judy to connect to that place / possibly a portal. It helps explain what happened to Agent Desmond since there is a #6 pole at the Fat Trout trailer park. Anyway, Laura / Carrie has no memories of the original timeline. I'm assuming that's the work of Judy. If Laura doesn't know who she is, she can't be a threat.

I'm glad that they showed the clip where Evil Laura in the Black Room screams and vanishes. Since the Black Lodge exists outside of time (sorta), it means that sequence occurs when Judy nabs Laura in 1989. No dead Laura means Laura doesn't end up in the Black Lodge like at the end of Fire Walk with Me which also means no doppleganger of her. What I'm trying to remember is if it was her doppleganger (The Arm refers to her as his cousin) that opens up her face to reveal the white light similar to what Sarah does to the guy at the bar. If so, it makes me wonder if Judy is connected to Evil Laura. When Sarah opens her face, the smile looks like Laura's. On the other hand, I don't know if Judy controls anyone from the Black Lodge. Evil Cooper was doing his own thing. Sadly, we'll never know what he wanted of Judy. Since it was never revealed who paid for the Glass Box in New York City, I'm going to guess it was Evil Cooper as a means to capture her. It also could be have been to capture Cooper in case he escaped the Black Lodge. Cooper does appear in it for a moment, but is able to continue on to the space ship place where Diane is along with the conduit to escape back into reality.

Hot damn is there a ton of driving shots. I usually enjoy these sequences, but this felt like it went on for too long. It didn't help that the clock was running on what could be the final moments of the series. Part of the problem is that it lacked any of music underlining the visuals to make it unsettling like in every other driving scene. Damn it, Lynch.

Comment

• Finally, the ending. Cooper takes Laura back to the Palmer household. Speaking with the current owner, it doesn't seem like Sarah is there. She may never have. In this timeline, Laura is Carrie so her entire history may be totally different. She may not be the daughter of Sarah and Leland. Cooper asks what year it is and Laura freaks out, screams, and the electricity in the Palmer house dies and the light fades to black. Why would that question set Laura off? Only explanation I can think of is that maybe it's what Laura whispered to him in the Black Lodge. Time doesn't have any meaning there so maybe it was her own defense against Judy. Hey, the Fireman and everyone else uses Cooper so it wouldn't surprise me if Laura did the same thing. In any case, I took Laura's freak out to mean that her memories of the original timeline and who she is all came flooding back to her. It's what Judy feared most as Laura's soul was created to combat Judy. At least, that's what I gathered from episode 8. Laura's scream knocks out the power. Judy and her influence is often represented by electricity, from the poles to the electronic devices on repeat in the household, to the demonic looking electric towers. Even the dopplegangers are made from electricity. Laura shutting down the electric power represents Judy's loss of power. I guess. Interesting that one set of previous home owners was the name of the lady and the grandson on Laura's meals-on-wheels program. I believe they're residents of the Black Lodge also which makes me think Judy was making sure she had one of her minions keep control of it. Then again, maybe they weren't minions of Judy. It's hard to tell.

What happens from there? Hell if I know. Are Cooper and Laura stuck in an alternate timeline? Could they return to the Black / White Lodge and go back to the original timeline? Maybe Laura's scream and Cooper's uncertainty is meant to show they've lost, either they must remain where they are or they can't defeat Judy at all. Right around the time Cooper says his line, there's a scratching sound heard. I'm pretty sure it's the sound of the record player the Fireman shows a few times like when Judy makes Laura vanish or around then. Maybe it's meant to signify another change in the timeline. The ending could even be some sort of meta message from Lynch--Cooper asking what the year is (wait, this show is on the air again? what is this, the early 90's?), the power going off like the image of a TV set. There are other moments that I really have to wonder if Lynch wasn't going meta. In any case, it could make for an interesting season 4, but I'm not sure if that would happen. It took a long time for this season to occur. The idea of Cooper and Laura now in an alternate timeline of Twin Peaks could be fascinating.

I don't know if I see Lynch caring to do that. The one thing I did hear about this season is how divided fans felt about it. I can understand why. Lynch has his idea of what Twin Peaks is. If you think it's about the kooky community in Washington where its citizens are oddballs, then you're going to disappointed. At one time, that's what Lynch wanted the show to be. Laura's killer would be the gateway into this bizarre community of eccentric characters. After forced to reveal the killer, Lynch seemed to change his mind about the show's direction. Instead of the town, it's about the battle between good and evil, the White Lodge and the Black Lodge and the twisted characters within. Fire Walk with Me seems to be what Lynch wants Twin Peaks to be and what he continues to make it. This season really is like the film in tone and content.

It's also why I'm partially disappointed and not on board with this season 100%. I like those wacky characters. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy Cooper and the mystery of these otherworldly, spiritual locations. There is a return of some of the characters with focus on their contemporary lives. It was great to see Norma and Big Ed finally get together. Bobby's story was my favorites as it fulfilled the vision Briggs saw of his son. There are those that got the shaft. Audrey's story was a miserable experience that only wasted time. Shelly and her daughter's story never went anywhere other than both women like bad boys. Other characters played a small role like Hawk and Log Lady which was nice, but most of them seem like Lynch felt like he had to include them in the story just to appease fans and not because he wanted to. Was there a point to Jerry? What about Ben and his secretary? At least Lucy and Andy's son only showed up once so, hey, sometimes limited screen time is a good thing. Fuck Michael Cera. I wonder if the Twin Peaks cast was mostly included because of Mark Frost. If Lynch could get away with it, would he have bothered with most of them? For 25 years, I can see how this is not the return people wanted. At times, Lynch played against expectations like with the return of Cooper. There are moments when it feels like he's slapping the face of the fans, not giving two shits about what they like. However, it is also refreshing as it makes sure the story is completely unpredictable. However, did this need to be 18 episodes? Could it have been shorter and better paced while telling the same story? I think so, but it wouldn't feel the same. There are deliberately slow sequences, but it makes sense--time is a constant element in the narrative. It's like Lynch wants you to experience it because he knows he can manipulate the audience through it. To me, that's just part of his craft and I've long come to accept it.

Twin Peaks season 3? Frustrating. Unusual. Confusing. Exhilarating. Thrilling. Head-scratching. Exciting. Unique. I don't necessarily agree with every part of it, but I know I'll spend many years of my life thinking about it, analyzing it, re-watching it to discover some new idea or nuance that I had not considered before. An experience you just don't get on television today much like how the original seasons were a breath of fresh air all those many years ago.
                            Last edited by Chex; 05-10-2018, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• Also, I forgot to even go into why I think Cooper acted the way he did in episode 18. In short, in the new timeline, he's in the Black Lodge still for 25 years. The difference is that there is no Bob or Bob isn't interested in making an Evil Cooper because Laura never died and so on. The dopplegangers seem to be a reflection of the darkness inside of everyone. Even Cooper has a dark side. We all do. This was never taken away from him so it remains inside of him for those 25 years. Possibly because he's also trapped in the Black Lodge and these bad / negative emotions resonate more so when in there for a long period of time, he's affected by this. It could also just be that spending 25 years in the Black Lodge is enough. In either case, Cooper is not the same person when he leaves. Because that dark side of him remained, he shows it more and is why there's moments of Evil Cooper and Agent Cooper in him.

Although as I write this, I just remembered that Cooper and Diane travel through a portal. I suppose they could still have been the original Cooper and Diane we all know of from the original timeline....but then again, it doesn't fully add up if that's true. I dunno. >_<

Oh yeah, I also forgot you could hear what sounded like a voice before Laura screams at the end? Sarah calling for Laura? I'd have to go back and hear it again.
                              Last edited by Chex; 05-10-2018, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• What year is this?

God damn, I've been waiting to write that sentence. Feels good to finally get it out. I think once you get over being punched in the stomach, you're going to find yourself appreciating the ending more and more. Also, you should watch that final scene again and turn the volume up. I think you might have missed something right before the scream...

That final shot of her whispering in his ear is the thing. What could she have said? He certainly looks disturbed by it. I would be willing to bet we'll never know the answer, even if there is another season. We were never supposed to know her killer but the network forced it on Lynch. With that final scene he takes the mystery back once and for all. That's beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                                X