No announcement yet.

Welcome to Twin Peaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...you thought it was kind of, sort of ok then?

There's a lot here I can't address, because Season 3, but um yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by sagittarius View Post
      So...you thought it was kind of, sort of ok then?

There's a lot here I can't address, because Season 3, but um yeah...
      Oh, I thought it was great although oppressive in how much depression it presents. I thought it was mean-spirited how the guardian angel shows up and saves Ronette while Laura stayed behind, condemned to death at the hands of her father and rapist. However, it seemed to me like the angel appearing in the Red Room symbolized Laura passing over to the White Lodge / Heaven rather than be stuck in the Black Lodge / Hell which would explain how we never actually see the real Laura in the Black Lodge or Red Room in the show, but dopplegangers or stand-ins.The bit with the two F.B.I. agents sticks out and so do a few other moments involving characters from the show that just don't mesh right, but those are minor issues.

I finished up the extras in the set including the Missing Pieces. As much as I think of the entire cast when I think of Twin Peaks, Ed, Norma, Pete and the gang just don't fit in with the film's story of the destruction and demise of Laura Palmer. I'm surprised how many more scenes involving other characters were cut and that I find the movie to better for it. I prefer the scene of Bobby figuring out he didn't kill a man for actual drugs was left in as it explains why he's empty handed in the Pilot. Also, the sequence of him telling Laura to stash the money in the deposit box could have been left in.

The real surprise were the moments that took place after the show left off. Annie surviving was unexpected and her repeating the lines to the nurse that she said to Laura months earlier makes me suspect my theory of different times converging into one occurring. Or it could be Laura has the ability to "see" things connected to Red Room as Annie was still wearing the ring. I suppose that could make sense as Sarah Palmer has the ability to see Bob. That reminds me how the show seemed to drop that plot point while it seems like a major element. Did Sarah always have the ability? Did she acquire it after coming into contact with Bob through Leland? Was it passed onto Laura?

So many questions.
      People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Your posts on this are fascinating to me. I first saw the film when I was 14 and had never seen an episode of Twin Peaks in my life. This probably goes a long way to explaining why I'm somewhat dismissive of the original series. It's just never seemed particularity important to me. But anyway, given that I was so young when I saw it, I didn't really have any lingering questions through the years. So seeing these impressions from someone who's just now watched it is very interesting, both for the questions you raise (you may be surprised at how many of them will be answered) and for several things you didn't mention (some of which turn out to be extremely important).

Just wondering, did you have it turned up loud enough to hear what the monkey whispered at the end? I don't know about the remix, but on the theatrical mix this is really buried unless the volume is cranked.

Comment

3x01 - Part 1: My Log has a message for you.
          I'm not going to do a traditional write-up or anything, but figure I'll toss down some thoughts that come to mind.

After all this wait, the buildup, and the anticipation, this episode left me feeling...indifferent. It's really does have a different tone than the first two seasons. Part of that is getting away with graphic material on Showtime while they couldn't before on network television. There are other things too. For example, how many long sequences are there? There's no loss of time created and manipulated through editing. Instead, you sit and watch a guy change the memory card on a camera or a car drive on a road. I don't dislike this as it builds up a sense of dread as the story unfolds at a pace that is less common. It's just different.

There's already a number of mysteries planted from the box in New York City to the body and head found in South Dakota. Again, I'm indifferent. I find these events to be intriguing yet at the same time I want the Twin PeaksI know. I don't mind none of it makes any sense considering it's just the first episode and I'm looking at this as just a small piece of larger puzzle (as in, the season). Plus, the inclusion of Matthew Lillard is cool by me. I don't know, I find the guy entertaining along with his situation. Did he kill Ruth Davenport? If not, how did his finger prints get in her apartment? This is more interesting to me than the glass box if only because everything about the reveal sequence fell flat. Two random characters decide to have couch sex while a cheesy demon monster appears? Part of me wants to love the monster effect just because it's so retro. On the other hand, the suspense of what would come through the box doesn't match the reality of the creature. Also, the show must be filmed digitally as it has that look about it for better or worse.

It sounds like I'm being a debbie-downer, but there are elements I can certainly say I enjoyed such as seeing some of the cast. Jacoby, Ben, Jerry, Hawk, Log Lady, Lucy, and Andy were great to see again even if the only meaningful moment came between Log Lady and Hawk. Then again, I guess you could say we received insight into Ben's character. At the end of season 2, he was trying to be a good person and do the right thing. He sorta seems to be following the same path although, judging by Jerry's comments, maybe not always. Wait, was that Ashley Judd? How come she doesn't age?

Oh yeah, and Evil Cooper. I'm assuming the long hair is to simulate the look of Bob. So Evil Cooper has been running around for 25 years yet Lucy mentions that nobody has seen Cooper for that entire time. I'm not sure if she's referring to Evil Cooper or regular Cooper. Did they quickly figure out that it wasn't really Cooper who came back from the Black Lodge? Why am I asking this as I don't want anybody to tell me. >_<

I've got the feeling that once I know how the pieces of this episode fit in with the rest of the story, I could come back, watch it again, and like it more.
          People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Your posts on this are fascinating to me. I first saw the film when I was 14 and had never seen an episode of Twin Peaks in my life. This probably goes a long way to explaining why I'm somewhat dismissive of the original series. It's just never seemed particularity important to me. But anyway, given that I was so young when I saw it, I didn't really have any lingering questions through the years. So seeing these impressions from someone who's just now watched it is very interesting, both for the questions you raise (you may be surprised at how many of them will be answered) and for several things you didn't mention (some of which turn out to be extremely important).

Just wondering, did you have it turned up loud enough to hear what the monkey whispered at the end? I don't know about the remix, but on the theatrical mix this is really buried unless the volume is cranked.
            That movie has been in my mind all damn day. >_< I really should watch it again soon. I can't remember if I heard what the monkey said or not. I had the volume turned up as I did hear other bits of dialogue at times running underneath the music / sound so....maybe? I probably forgot what was heard. It's too much to take in.

That's interesting how you saw the movie first. I can totally get seeing it and then finding the show to be too light or quirky.

Comment

Originally posted by Chex View Post
              I want the Twin PeaksI know
              This is not going to happen. On the plus side, you're going to get something much better. For what it's worth, it didn't really click for me until around the fourth part. I like the early parts much more now knowing how everything fits together.

Comment

3x02 - Part 2: The Stars Turn and a Time Presents Itself
                In the words of DM: this ruled!

Hot damn, this was good stuff. When Lillard's character was talking about how he had a dream of being in Ruth's apartment, I thought maybe he had been possessed by another Black Lodge spirit. Then his wife drops the bomb (without actually saying so) that she's the possessed. I can't believe I didn't pick up on the clue in the Part 1 as it was right there. When Bob emerged from the Black Lodge as Evil Cooper, he kept repeating the same phrase "what about Annie" and Leland had his moments where he would repeat himself. Lillard's wife (I seriously do not remember the names of these two characters) kept repeating "but we have guests coming for dinner" while her husband was being arrested. I'm not sure where Lillard's character will go from here, but just within moments of this episode, it had my attention by the husband and wife's conversation and reveal.

Onto Evil Cooper. I was initially thinking he grew his hair out because it makes him look like Bob, the spirit that's possessing him. Now I'm not sure Bob is within him any longer. For one, Evil Cooper does not act or sound like the version that appeared at the end of season 2. He's completely different. At first, I was going to chalk it up to Bob being on Earth for so long, but he's been around before for longer time spans. He possessed Leland as a child, for example. I'm thinking Evil Cooper is now a separate entity as that of an evil doppleganger without Bob attached. I caught the bit where he's talking to Jeffries from the Fire Walk with Me and I'm honestly surprised they even bothered with that character considering how truncated his story was. Sounds like Jeffries is now in the Black Lodge or else it's his evil counterpart. Interesting that Evil Cooper is mentioned to have met with Briggs.

I loved the sequences with Cooper in the Red Room and being told he could leave as it had been 25 years. Then Evil Cooper throws a wrench into the mechanics of this sanctum by refusing to return. I have no idea what his plan is, but I'm digging the fact that he has one and it's screwing up everything else. Oh, and I got a chuckle out of Michael J. Anderson's replacement. I do know about the trouble he caused when trying to return (demanding more money) and that he's replaced by a tree is funny. Is it a dig at Anderson by saying his acting is wooden?

Cooper running into the Evil Arm (Anderson's former character) and being tossed into some portal was something else. The effects are still cheesy, but sometimes they work well enough like this. Him showing up in the glass box in New York City moments before the couch duo re-appear means.....uh, something. I mean, I guess it shows that the glass box contains a gateway to the Red Room / Black Lodge, but I figured as much with the monster appearing. Very cool to see Leland's spirit hanging around the Red Room / Black Lodge and that he asks Cooper to find Laura Palmer. I thought that, although not saved on Earth, her soul was saved and taken to the White Lodge. If so, that would give Cooper a reason to finally venture there. At the very least, it sounds as if she's somewhere in the otherworld, but lost. Makes me curious if it could lead up to her being rescued and brought back to Earth.

Also, there better be a damn explanation to distinguish between the Red Room and the Black Lodge. I'm under the impression they're separate places. The Red Room is the waiting room area as the Arm describes it while the Black Lodge is sorta like Hell. I suppose the Red Room could lead to the White Lodge, but who knows at this point. Anyway, it seems like the evil spirits hang out in the Red Room which is causing the confusion. Maybe it's not so important.

We've got some Las Vegas goons who take orders from somebody. That's it. Nothing else on them other than an introduction. Oh yeah, and Evil Cooper nearly killed his entire squad.

Ha, James had a motorcycle accident! I'm sorry, but I find this so funny as I couldn't stand the character in the first two seasons that when we last see him, I always thought maybe he rode off into the night and crashed, never to be heard of again. Get outta my head, David Lynch! Man, Madchen Amick has aged very well.

Most importantly in this episode is the appearance of the Chromatics! Fuck, I wish I didn't know that they would show up as it would have been a total shock. Still, I can't complain. I know their lyrics are nothing to excited about, but there's something mesmerizing about their sound combined with Ruth Radelet's vocals that captures my attention. I'll listen with the intent of only a few minutes and next thing I know, 45 minutes have passed. On that note, I'll leave this here.

Comment

I think you will find over the next couple of parts that it starts to feel more like Twin Peaks, but it already sounds like it's coming together quicker for you than it did for me. I went through my old emails last night to see what I sent my friend on the night it premiered (Showtime put the first four parts up on the app the same night) and my initial reaction was very similar to what you wrote about Part 1. Though my tone was quite a bit bitchier I should note. Ha. Anyway, it's great to read this but I have to try really hard to bite my tongue while replying.

Also, James was always cool.

Comment

Oh shit, I forgot we saw Sarah Palmer. For someone whose husband raped and murdered her daughter (along with other women), she seems to be more stable than expected. Plus, she's got that big screen TV to watch Planet Earth.

I think you will find over the next couple of parts that it starts to feel more like Twin Peaks, but it already sounds like it's coming together quicker for you than it did for me. I went through my old emails last night to see what I sent my friend on the night it premiered (Showtime put the first four parts up on the app the same night) and my initial reaction was very similar to what you wrote about Part 1. Though my tone was quite a bit bitchier I should note. Ha. Anyway, it's great to read this but I have to try really hard to bite my tongue while replying.

Also, James was always cool.
                    I could understand thinking James was cool if I was introduced to him through the movie. Look at what he does in it: has sex with Laura Palmer and later rides a motorcycle. Pretty cool. Now look at him in the show: whines, looks dopey constantly, whines, can't choose between women, whines, is a tool, is scared of Bobby and Mike of all people, gets caught up in a lame murder scheme.

Seriously though, my issue was that he could barely show one emotion in the show. He seems like a human being in the movie. Hell, he actually seemed sorta cool in his few moments in this episode! Damn, what do I do if James ends up being the breakout character this season? My world would crumble!

But, hey, there's always the Chromatics. You can spoil this for me--do they show up a couple of more times like how Julee Cruise did?

Comment

Damn, what do I do if James ends up being the breakout character this season?
                      Ha, this is not going to happen.

You will see the Chromatics again. Actually, there will be a number of surprises playing the Roadhouse (which I can only assume was bought out by Pitchfork in the last 25 years).

Comment

3x03 - Part 3: Call for help
                        The beginning of this was aggravating. Cooper hangs out with a woman who has no eyes, climbs up on a space ship, throws a switch, and falls off into space. I'm fine with that. I just didn't care for the way they moved, how it would cut to moments later and then cut back to moments earlier. The visuals, from the way they moved to the giant wall socket, looked like something out of a PC game like Myst or something. Twin Peaks: The Game. Why isn't that out?

Evil Cooper resists the pull of returning to the Black Lodge and ends up in a car wreck. He vomits and is later found by the police. Gordon and Albert now know of his whereabouts. The way they act astonished about Evil Cooper, or as Gordon calls him "Cooper", makes me believe that the doppleganger vanished shortly after the end of season 2 and nobody is aware of the real Cooper's fate. I love how Albert is still filled with sarcasm. Nice to see them interested in the New York City murders. They mention seeing a quick shot of the monster, but nothing about seeing Cooper in the glass box. Although he was in it for at least a few moments, time must move differently and he was there and gone before it could register on camera.

Dougie. What the fuck. The way Mike talks about Dougie as being "manufactured", I'm guessing he was meant as a stand-in for the real Cooper on Earth / reality. While Cooper escapes from the Black Lodge via the wall socket, Dougie is taken to the Red Room and melts away. Him having the ring from Fire Walk with Me explains the connection as far as him being transported to there. Mike ponders who created Dougie and why. Maybe it's the White Lodge intervening? Or some other power? Or that's how the worlds balance themselves by creating a fake Cooper while the real Cooper is elsewhere? Perhaps it's to balance out the bad Cooper with a good Cooper. However, Cooper comes back.....uh, touched in the head. Heeelllloooooooo!!! I know the slot machine sequence went on for way too long, but I don't care, his "heeellllooooo" had be laughing the entire time. Almost as much as Major Briggs giant face cruising by in space just to mention the blue rose. Again, another nod back to the film that was never explained.

Oh damn, and Meg Foster showed up for a moment. And Jacoby is spray painting shovels gold while Lucy confesses to eating a chocolate bunny as a remedy for gas.

I like part 2 more, but this was almost as entertaining for comedic reasons.

Comment

There was a Japanese Playstation (?) game that is supposed to be so heavily influenced by it that it might as well be a Twin Peaks game.

The CGI is interesting to me. I can't really tell if they just didn't have the funds to do better or if it's all that way by design. It does frequently have a quality similar to some of Lynch's paintings so that could indicate it was indeed a stylistic choice to some extent. Avoiding spoilers here, but there's an extremely subtle morphing effect coming up that works extremely well - a really wonderful use of CGI.

Your initial thoughts are overall so in line with my own first impressions that I feel like I can predict your reactions to things coming up. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Comment

There was a Japanese Playstation (?) game that is supposed to be so heavily influenced by it that it might as well be a Twin Peaks game.

The CGI is interesting to me. I can't really tell if they just didn't have the funds to do better or if it's all that way by design. It does frequently have a quality similar to some of Lynch's paintings so that could indicate it was indeed a stylistic choice to some extent. Avoiding spoilers here, but there's an extremely subtle morphing effect coming up that works extremely well - a really wonderful use of CGI.

Your initial thoughts are overall so in line with my own first impressions that I feel like I can predict your reactions to things coming up. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
                            I saw that recent documentary about Lynch, his life, and artwork and I can easily see images seemingly taken straight out of something he would have painted. That might be why I give some of these late-90's visual effects a little bit of leeway as they seem like his artwork come to life.

I can't figure it out either if all of the visuals, including just the look of the show, is meant to be cheap or not.

Comment

3x04 - Part 4: ...Brings back some memories
                              This felt more like the show than any other episode so far.

The rest of the season could be a shit storm and it'll be worth it just for the Dougie scenes. Seriously, I need a t-shirt with his happy face on it with the caption "helllooooooo!" on it. I'd pay good money for it. Hooker money. Something that came to mind is if his repeating someone else's dialogue is meant to show he's an echo of the real Cooper. What I mean is that when he repeats something, he only repeats the last word or two and not the entire line much like if you yelled into a chasm and heard an echo. The shot of him standing in front of the mirror, combined with him repeating dialogue, is that he's just an imperfect Cooper. A copy, but flawed.

You know what's weird in this show? Major Brigg's floating head? Evil Cooper's hair? The Black Lodge? Talking trees? Nah, it's Naomi Watt's alien arms. Look at those things! Her forearm is almost longer than what's above the elbow! It's creepy as hell. It's cool to see her, but she's turning into a praying mantis.

It's great to see the return of characters like Bobby Briggs. The punk criminal became a cop? Yeah, ok. Really, I'm fine with that as I've seen it happen. Rule breakers in school that I grew up with are cops today. The actor looks almost the same with the exception of the white hair. I love that moment when he see Laura Palmer's photo and breaks down as her theme song kicks in. It's like the entire show punches you in the dick while shouting WELCOME TO TWIN PEAKS at your face.

Speaking of people that have aged well, I swear Duchovny looks the exact same as he did before. It's hilarious how he's moved up in the ranks over the years. There's probably some sort of meta joke about him ruling over the F.B.I. and The X-Files, but there's too much to process for me to dwell on it.

Albert's still a surly asshole. Never change. I'm so glad neither Albert or Gordon were fulled by Evil Cooper. Then again, Evil Cooper made it difficult to ignore he wasn't quite normal. Blue Rose is mentioned again along with Jeffries. I can't believe how much of a part Jeffries plays in all of this considering how jumbled his brief appearance was in the movie. May as well bring in Chet at this point. Real talk though--the dancing background guy in the Pilot better return.

Then there's Wally. I don't know if it was lame dialogue or that he's played by Michael Cera, but I yearned for James to run over him with his bike for absolutely no reason. That's an issue I have with this show. Scenes are drawn out to an extended length. Sometimes it's fine. I could watch Dougie try and figure out how to eat pancakes and it would leave me smiling. Props for that moment when he gives a thumbs up and smiles at the kid. Like a glimpse of the real Cooper. Anyway, sometimes restraint is a good thing. For example, a little of Andy and Lucy go a long way. Those are the characters you don't want to seen in an extended sequence because they can quickly wear out their welcome. That's what it was like with Wally.

For a moment, I thought they recast Sheriff Truman with Robert Forster. I was surprised, but quickly took to the idea. Turns out he's playing Truman's brother. I know Michael Ontkeen was on board for a new season for years and years. Then when it finally got the green light, he opted out. I'm assuming they're keeping the real Truman out of the picture in case the show returns again and he decides to return. I miss Truman and his infinite patience he showed with Andy and Lucy.

It ends with Albert and Gordon deciding to bring in a certain woman to talk to Evil Cooper to confirm their suspicions. I'm going to guess Annie.

Something I haven't mentioned is the opening credit sequence. The fog with the circle of light and Laura's photo, to be specific. The circle of light reminds me of a spotlight, as if it's searching the fog. Then Laura's photo pops up. Keeping in mind Leland's request to Cooper about finding his daughter, I'm really starting to suspect that eventually Cooper's task will be to seek out Laura somewhere in the Lodges. If the credit sequence is to be taken literally, not only is it seeking out Laura, but her return much like the return of the show. I don't know, I'm rambling now.

Comment

I saw that recent documentary about Lynch, his life, and artwork and I can easily see images seemingly taken straight out of something he would have painted. That might be why I give some of these late-90's visual effects a little bit of leeway as they seem like his artwork come to life.

I can't figure it out either if all of the visuals, including just the look of the show, is meant to be cheap or not.
                                You know what's weird is at this point in the show I thought it looked cheap too, but I don't feel that way anymore. I think it looks incredible. Did I just get used to it? Did some of the especially cinematic stuff coming up change my mind? I'm not really sure. Though technically it probably WAS cheap, at least in the sense that they did 18 hours with the lowest possible budget they could pull it off for. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the look, say, four parts from now.

Ok, LOL. After reading your last recap I know exactly what your response is going to be to this. And Wally Brando was indeed terrible.

Comment

Working...
                                X