Joysticks (1983)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joysticks (1983)

When a top local businessman and his two bumbling nephews try to shut down the town's only video arcade, arcade employees and patrons fight back.

By the ghosts of Pacman, I regret it has taken me this long to finally see this movie. Hands down, this is easily the best Greydon Clark movie with Joe Don Baker in it. Ok, so that leaves little competition. Still, this is such a fun teen comedy as it combines my love of T&A with vintage arcade machines and I'm not talking about those adult Atari games. It doesn't break the mold and you can easily call each set piece before it happens with one exception: that bizarre backstory for the lead (played by Scott McGinnis from Secret Admirer) which is just an excuse to how more tits. Oh, and it has Corinne Bohrer from The Beach Girls although I guess she's now more known for being the mother of Veronica Mars.

Anyone interested in some classic (by 1980s standards) comedy fun with classic arcade games should check it out. It also has Jon Gries with multicolored hair as a punk named King Vidiot. What's not to love?
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

I tried watching this a year ago. An 80s movie about a video arcade? Sounds like a sure winner, but I just couldn't get into it. If I remember correctly, it starts out with two women trying to set a nerd up in a car? This may be on Amazon streaming, so I might give it another shot. The video quality; it was like watching a generic VHS copy of a VHS tape rental.

Comment

That's it, Monkey. Honestly, that was probably the "worst" part of the movie as there's no context other than some nerdy version of Sean Austin being used by hot chicks. Oh, check out the movie on youtube as it looks like someone uploaded the gorgeous transfer by Scorpion Releasing. It's also in the correct ratio which can really help a movie.

As far as expectations go, expect an 80's teen comedy with the usual trappings (tits, stupid humor, hijinks, the hero coming through in the end), Joe Don Baker, and classic arcade machines. If that sounds cool, you'll have fun with it.
      People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

I saw this years ago, don't remember too much, about it, apart from that one shot, where they were playing strip pac man ( I could be wrong). And there was the shot where they pan down or up to the girls boobs.

Comment

Working...
        X