Resident Evil Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil Appreciation Thread

Resident Evil. What are your thoughts/memories/opinions on the series?

In 1996, I overlooked campy dialogue (master of unlocking), terrible camera angles and controls, Resident Evil had me hooked the moment the doberman jumped through that window in the hallway (you know the one). Probably my favorite game series of all time (right up there with Zelda). Resident Evil was far and away better than its counterpart at the time (at least my copy of Alone in the Dark on the 3DO). The graphics were garbage only a few years later, but in 1996, this game was as realistic as it got.

The remake for Gamecube is still visually impressive today and you can find ports on other systems (PS4). Try measuring Resident Evil 1's visuals on PS1 to Gamecube. There hasn't been such an impressive leap in console generations since.

I've beaten RE 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and Code Veronica.

Has anybody else played Resident Evil 7? I'm just starting to get into the game. The VR experience is fun for what it is, but I found the gameplay in this mode to be nearly impossible. Sticking with the controller for now. Either way is an immersive experience (when you go VR, you lose some graphical quality). The game is a work of art so far (for me). Genuinely not too scary (play Alien: Isolation and its version of cat and mouse in the clinic area if you wanna lose your shit), but the theme is perfect. So far it's like... if the Sawyers lived in a mansion and one of them was a shit-talking Jason Voorhees who periodically stalks you... that's the start of RE7. Throw in some weird tar-creatures for good measure and a lot of realism.

If you love horror and video games, RE7 is a no brainer.

I stil have my gamecube chainsaw controller and the PS1 controller they did with the pistol grip:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HResiControl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	590Click image for larger version

Name:	Resident-Evil-Controller-3-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	591

I adored this series, although Gun Survivor was... crap.

As I've gotten older the kids have got in the way of me playing these, but I think I've beaten: RE1, RE1 (remake), RE2, RE3, RE5

I own RE4 and RE0 as well as CV and GS but never rally got to play them. Have beaten 3 Dead Rising games though

I really need to pick up RE7, but I can't promise myself time to play it. Haven't picked up Friday the 13th in months and I've owned Alien Isolation for about two years without ever having put it in the console

Comment

The chainsaw controller from way back in the day, that is one funky device.
      I can say, without reserve, that RE4 is by far the finest game in the series and one of the very best video games ever made.
      RE7 is worth it. My first play-through took a little over ten hours. I loved the pacing, story, graphics, control. Every third game is a highlight in the series (IMO).

While I did have a hard time controlling my character, RE7 in VR mode is pretty damn scary. I have beaten all the main Resident Evil games (besides part 6, which I will probably never play).

Comment

I played the ever living shit out of Resident Evil 7 when it came out this year. Loved it quite a bit.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to play 7 yet but I heard it was a nice return to the roots of the series. Never played 6 either cause I heard it was pretty bad.

Last one I played a decent amount was 5 and I enjoyed it. RE 5 is kinda like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (weird comparison, I know), in that its a really solid and fun game but people hate it cause its not enough like the other games in the series. If you take RE 5 for what it is, its really fun especially if you have someone else to play with.

Comment

I loved playing RE5 on the 360 when I had partners. It's a game you really can't get into with the AI, as Sheeva just wastes ammo from what I've seen.
            Now that Sony and Microsoft have all but killed off LAN parties and system link, I decided against picking up RE5 for our PS4 consoles.
            You could system link with PS1 (Doom, Wipeout), but 20+ years later the concept of private parties is dead. Big brother wants you on their networks now. Fail.
            I still don't understand why Capcom couldn't just make RE5 system link happen. I mean, the ports are all there. What gives?

The RE2 remake. Would you rather it be in a RE1 or RE4 perspective?
            Resident Evil purists love the old survival horror style. I'm not too sold on the prospect; I felt it was more of a technological issue than anything. If they can make the game over the shoulder, it would be an easier affair. There's a reason people called it "Combat-styled" or "Tank" styled controls back in the day. They still remembered the 2600.

Comment

Resident Evil 2 turns 20 years old today.
              People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey View Post
                I loved playing RE5 on the 360 when I had partners. It's a game you really can't get into with the AI, as Sheeva just wastes ammo from what I've seen.
                Now that Sony and Microsoft have all but killed off LAN parties and system link, I decided against picking up RE5 for our PS4 consoles.
                You could system link with PS1 (Doom, Wipeout), but 20+ years later the concept of private parties is dead. Big brother wants you on their networks now. Fail.
                I still don't understand why Capcom couldn't just make RE5 system link happen. I mean, the ports are all there. What gives?
                Can you not just create a private online game... but with both consoles next to each other? I'm ignorant to how it's set up, but that would be my first suggestion.

Originally posted by Monkey View Post
                The RE2 remake. Would you rather it be in a RE1 or RE4 perspective?
                Resident Evil purists love the old survival horror style. I'm not too sold on the prospect; I felt it was more of a technological issue than anything. If they can make the game over the shoulder, it would be an easier affair. There's a reason people called it "Combat-styled" or "Tank" styled controls back in the day. They still remembered the 2600.
                I think the RE games were as good as they were because of that fixed camera style. It was much more like a movie, and they could control what you saw and how you saw it. So in short - a high-def version of RE2 in good-old-fashioned fixed-camera please.

As for 20 years old... thanks for making me feel really old!

Comment

[QUOTE=Monkey;n632The RE2 remake. Would you rather it be in a RE1 or RE4 perspective?
                  Resident Evil purists love the old survival horror style. I'm not too sold on the prospect; I felt it was more of a technological issue than anything. If they can make the game over the shoulder, it would be an easier affair. There's a reason people called it "Combat-styled" or "Tank" styled controls back in the day. They still remembered the 2600.[/QUOTE]

I'd prefer the RE4 style personally, but I'd be happy if they followed the lead of that Easter egg in the "Lost in Darkness" DLC from RE5 and let the player decide whichever style they'd like to play as.

Comment

I was reading up on the RE2 remake and a LOT of people seem to prefer the old style. I read about the "Lost in Darkness" option of using your preferred style.

The camera angles did add to the tension because sometimes you could be standing right next to an enemy and not know it. Jump scares galore. The over the shoulder RE4 feel, though, is my preference. Hell, I'd probably play with both styles.

We never bought RE5 for the PS4, but if it worked and you don't need a PSN pay account, we might try going online in the future. I still have everything to have 360 system link, unfortunately... it's all in storage 1,000 miles away. I loved playing RE5 with a friend.

If only Konami would give the original Silent Hill a remake treatment with additional content, some more freedom, etc. Resident Evil did it right. Maybe if RE2 sells really well, Konami will finally update their own survival horror classic.

Comment

I would sell my left testicle to get a Silent Hill Remake. Seriously, I'd do nasty, disgusting things to get at that...

I think your take on the RE4 vs RE1 style depends on your reasons for liking the game. I don't play a lot of games so I love the movie feel. If you're a gamer you're probably going to enjoy the free movement/style that over the shoulder brings. Either way, more RE is fine by me.

Comment

Weren't they gonna make a new Silent Hill game that was first person then they cancelled it? I remember a beta for it that people went crazy over then out of the blue, they said they weren't doing it.

Comment

Yeah, and they mo-capped Norman Reedus for it. Looked amazing but then we got screwed

Comment

Originally posted by SanicHeghog View Post
                            Weren't they gonna make a new Silent Hill game that was first person then they cancelled it? I remember a beta for it that people went crazy over then out of the blue, they said they weren't doing it.
                            I still have the demo on my PS4 from about four years ago called P.T. I think there was some personal differences that led to the resignation and/or letting go of certain talent for that one. I'm not googling my info here so take it with a grain of salt, I believe even Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Devil's Backbone) was supposed to working on that one. The P.T. demo was pretty damn scary and, to be honest, Resident Evil 7 looks a lot like that game's demo.

Is Resident Evil 6 any good? I've avoided it because it seemed rushed and more of an action game. I don't know much about it at all, honestly.

I'm curious to see how you guys would rank the series; include anything you've played. Here's my list:

RE4
                            Code Veronica
                            RE Remake (GC, PS4)
                            RE7
                            RE5
                            RE0
                            RE2
                            RE1 (Original PS1)
                            RE3

I'm honestly not hating on RE3 and RE1. I think a lot of people who loved the originals may even place RE2 on the top. My subjective feelings about these games are mostly based on the fact that I don't REMEMBER much about them. The last time I played RE2 was 20 years ago. Not a single one of these games is bad; I enjoyed them all.

RE4 may very well be the greatest video game ever made.

Comment

Working...
                            X