Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitch Hike (Autostop Rosso Sangue) (1977)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitch Hike (Autostop Rosso Sangue) (1977)

A boozy writer (Franco Nero) and his wife (Corinne Clery) pick up a stranded driver (David Hess) who, unbeknownst to them, is carrying $2 million in stolen money in his briefcase.
    Since I was already on a David Hess roll with The Last House on the Left and House on the Edge of the Park, I figured I may as well watch the last of his movies in the pile. Like House on the Edge, I've never seen it before. And that's a damn shame as this movie rules! I should have guessed as it's Franco Nero squaring off against David Hess. Nero is such an absolute shit heel of a husband that you almost want to see Hess get away with everything. That look Nero gives while Hess rapes his wife is pure anger and remains so after his wife uses the situation to enjoy it. If David Hess is screwing your wife with more sensuality and care than you are, then that speaks volumes. Plus, I mean, it's Corrine Clery who is stunning.

I thought this would be a typical "bad guy gets a ride with married couple that are having problems. They defeat the bad guy and solve their issues and fall back in love". Ha! Nothing of the sort. I won't ruin the final 20 minutes, but it's outrageously against expectations. I'm not sure how I feel about the delinquents that pop up, but they do serve a narrative and thematic purpose so I guess they're ok enough. Such a fun movie that I'll definitely check out again.
    People hyping up Wonder Woman to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen bigfoot rip off a man's dick before." -Me talking about 1980's Night of the Demon.

The last 20 minutes are a little problematic for me. There's maybe one twist too many after such a careful, sustained build. I do like the film quite a bit though. Absolutely killer soundtrack on this one.

I watched a bizarre unofficial Asian remake/ripoff of this on Prime video of all places a couple years ago (same title even). It wasn't as charming as say Fury in Red, the shot-for-shot Ms. 45 remake from Taiwan, but it was still an interesting curio to know it exists.

Comment

Another great film Chex..... If you have run out of David Hess material then I do recommend you continuing along with Franco Nero. Man I just love him in everything I have seen him in.

Comment

Now Franco Nero is a man whose filmography I have traveled through extensively. The guy and his mustache rule. Too bad he and Tom Atkins didn't get together and make a film. Maybe a college buddy teen comedy or something. I don't care if they would have been too old. >_<

Sagi --- Yeah, the last 20 minutes are not as good as what came before it, but it's hilarious to watch Nero return to even more of an asshole while laughing maniacally. I was hoping he was going to run over those kids though.
        People hyping up Wonder Woman to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen bigfoot rip off a man's dick before." -Me talking about 1980's Night of the Demon.

Comment

This is a film that I haven’t seen in ages. You’ve inspired me to pull it out of my collection.
          FYI, I love your signature Chex. Lol

Comment

Awesome! I'd love to know how well it holds up for you.

Ha, thanks! That's the product of Saturday night's movie chat. >_<

Comment

I watched this again last night and I have such mixed feelings about it. I love the characters and Nero is great in everything as far as I'm concerned. It did drag in the second half a bit but I'm fine with that too. The thing that bothered me is the western style score by Morricone that just seems so out of place in this film. Its not just an after thought for me, I get stuck during the film thinking about how different it could be with out it. Any how I do love this one and strangely enough even though Nero is such a drunk ass, in the end I'm glad he gets away with the money.

Comment

The message is that you can keep a drunk asshole of a husband and, hey, you'll be ok as long as you're Franco Nero.

Comment

Working...
                X