The Woman in Black (1989)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Woman in Black (1989)

Is anyone a fan of this one? It ranks as one of the scariest films I have ever seen no matter how many times I watch it. I already have it on DVD but I searched it on EBay to see about a VHS copy and there are only currently two listings. One is a DVD for sale at 90 dollars and the VHS is in auction. Personally I am soooo much more into atmosphere and slow paced dread than the jump scares of today and this one is it. I will post some pics when I can get to my lap top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Woman in Black encounter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	842Click image for larger version

Name:	Woman in Black Arthur.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	843
    There are a couple of iconic moments from the film that those who have seen it will know why I am not posting them.

Comment

Remember seeing this a long time ago but don’t recollect much from it.
      Out of curiousity, why do you find it one of the scariest films?

Comment

It just really has that slow build up of a haunting ghost story that is told in an old fashioned way that I like first of all. What is so frightening to me is the feeling of Mr Kidd being all alone in that house that is only accessed by crossing the moor and just knowing the whole time what its building up to. I know this one is similar to the remake but there is something very creepy about the atmosphere in this original that really gets under my skin. Personally the bedroom and lake scene are what my nightmares are made of. I know all horror films have impact in different ways like The Thing is a very claustrophobic experience to me and is one of the best stories ever told in horror but is just not that scary. This one just hits a chord in my book. What are several of the most frightening films to you?

Comment

I've not seen this, however I'm a big fan of the story. Love the newer version with Daniel Radcliffe, the stage play is one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure to see and I even have a signed copy of the book in my living room. Weirdly I forget this exists, get reminded and then struggle to find a reasonably priced copy before giving up and forgetting again.

For me it's a very British story and reminds me of the ghost stories I'd read as a kid.

Comment

Working...
          X