Man From Deep River (1972)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man From Deep River (1972)

I wanted to throw this one out there to see if anyone has seen it or is a fan of the film. I know when most people think of Italian Cannibal films the first one that comes to mind is Cannibal Holocaust but "Man From Deep River" directed by Umberto Lenzi seems to be the one that started it all. Its really an adventure / love flick with cannibalism as a back story so the gore is kept to a minimum. The musical score is awesome and Me Me Lai and Ivan Rassimov are both wonderful in their roles. Rassimov was in many Italian horror and giallo films back in the day but this one is my favorite that he has starred in, and my favorite of the genre as well.

I can never remember what the alternate title to this is. Is it Eaten Alive or Jungle Holocaust?

Comment

Man from Deep River was also released under the title: Sacrifice. Ivan Rassimov I believe was in Eaten Alive as well.

Comment

Haven’t seen this in ages. Is it one of the Italian cannibal flicks with real animal violence?

Comment

Yes, that was quite common in this era. in fact it seems like they cycled much of the same footage through out many of these films.

Comment

It's so unfortunate. I, personally, just can't get passed this and watch the movie objectively. I was actually really happy when Grindhouse released Cannibal Holocaust and had the secondary version without the animal violence. It was the first time I watched the film without having to forward through that shit.

Comment

Yeah... I know what you mean. In Cannibal Holocaust it’s like the director instructed the actors to perform those acts just for the sake of seeing an animal killed. The one that used to upset me the most was the turtle. Some how when I think of Cannibal Holocaust my first thought is of the animal cruelty but not so much in Man from Deep River. I don’t know why people thought that was acceptable in the past. One of my favorite films is Come and See (1985) which was made in the old Soviet Union and they shoot a cow during one scene. The movie is a masterpiece but you always think “why do they feel like that adds anything to the film?”

Comment

All of the animals were consumed by the tribes as food so they weren't totally without cause. It's the cruelty towards the pig and the turtle that bothers me most as their deaths are drawn out for entertainment. More bizarre is the video footage from a documentary the characters watch of people being murdered. The characters talk of how it's fake, but it turns it really is actual footage from a real documentary.

Comment

I never could find anything on the documentary. Very interesting though.

Last edited by Mrmojo; 02-15-2018, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X