Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Nightmare on Elm Street series

Discuss the series here, Fredheads.

Is there a movie with a more 90s soundtrack than Freddy's Dead?
    Firm Believer in the Philosophy of a Ruling Class.
    Because I rule!

Rivers13, I bet I am in a minority in what I am about to say. I saw A Nightmare on Elm Street when it cam out in the theater and maybe once thereafter on VHS and I never saw it again. I can remember being scared as a kid when the girl gets pulled down in the bathtub and the Nun/mom. The same thing happened with me and Hell Raiser. I need to watch both of these again very soon.
    Last edited by Mrmojo; 01-23-2018, 02:10 AM.

Comment

To be honest, while I love the series, I don't revisit it often. It's probably been 6 or 7 years since I watched a Freddy film (excluding FvsJ which I re-watched last year). It's weird because I used to be a much bigger fan. Maybe the remake put me off.

Comment

I haven't revisited the series for a while now, but whenever I do it I always feel highly impressed. While watching the new "IT" (which I totally disliked, unpopular horror opinion, no offense), I watched the scene with Beverley in the bathroom and thought it felt comically exaggerated. It reminded of Glenn's death in the original NOES. The difference was that Wes Craven knew how to pull that sort of thing, and the scene in which Glenn dies feels as scary to me today as it did when I watched it for the first time.

Comment

I watched the first nightmare on elm street during my Halloween horror movie marathon it's still as amazing as ever! I need to revisit the rest of them soon!

Comment

The Nightmare franchise (remake aside) is truly brilliant: compelling and likable characters (Nancy, Jesse, Kristen, Alice, Tracy), implicit themes that make the movies feel very serious (parents neglecting their children, the challenge of authority, homosexuality, teenage pregnancy), a scary villain (Freddy), the remarkable storytelling, and visuals that are unmatched to this day. I feel that no amount of CGI or modern special effects will be able to recreate what the crew responsible for special effects achieved back in the 1980s. The Nightmare franchise is very special to me. I think that Nancy is the most special character ever created in a horror movie. I grew up with the character. I love the character to this day. I think it is a crime that the character doesn't get the recognition it deserves and that, to this day, there are no Nancy action figures; we have a stupid figure of Debbie (The Dream Master), but no Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by sickboy View Post
              To be honest, while I love the series, I don't revisit it often. It's probably been 6 or 7 years since I watched a Freddy film (excluding FvsJ which I re-watched last year). It's weird because I used to be a much bigger fan. Maybe the remake put me off.
              That's the way I am with the series. It's a fun series, no doubt, but I revisit this series once every few years. I'm not exactly sure why that is considering the quality and fun factor of these are often as good, if not better, than some of the "comfort" titles I toss on regularly.
              People hyping up Wonder Woman to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen bigfoot rip off a man's dick before." -Me talking about 1980's Night of the Demon.

Comment

One thing that I'd kind of like to see them try in a future film is making Freddy's burns look painful. I'd be interested in seeing what it might add to the character if he's behaving like Freddy while looking like he should be in agony.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing Doug Jones take a shot at playing Freddy. He has plenty of experience acting under lots of makeup, and he could give Freddy a more intimidating height without making him look bulky, since he usually looks pretty slender.

Comment

Working...
                X