Halloween (2018)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween (2018)

So by now I'm sure most of us have heard that John Carpenter is teaming up with Danny McBride and Blumhouse Pictures to produce Halloween: the remakequelboot that ignores every single Halloween film aside from the original, and even ignores that to some small extent in terms of re-writing how the thing ended.

Jamie Lee Curtis returns as yet another version of Laurie Strode -- because they just can't seem to settle on a single continuity for the poor woman -- and joining her this time around will be Judy Greer as Karen Strode and Andi Matichak as Allyson Strode, leaving both Jamie Lloyd and John Tate in the clutches of the vile Beast of Retcon. Carpenter is acting as an adviser/producer, and may very well be composing the soundtrack for the film. Danny McBride has revealed that the film is going to act as a direct sequel to the original, but that the final moments of the original film might be in some way altered or retconned.

My biggest question is this: will Michael and Laurie still be siblings? They've made it very clear that this film is going to ignore the sequels, and the sibling storyline wasn't introduced until Halloween 2. If they aren't siblings, then it seems awfully weird that Michael has returned to torment the Strode family 40 years later.

How are folks feeling about this film in general? I'm optimistic, but it's hard not to be after the dumpster fire that was Zombie's Halloween II.

"How do you turn this off, then?"

I'm hoping for something awesome and I'm genuinely excited, if a little apprehensive about this. Carpenter being involved isn' necessarily a good thing but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Comment

Halloween (1978) is my favourite film, and although I’ve watched the sequels numerous times, I always picture the original as a stand alone movie with the rest of the MM pictures comprising the series (maybe that’s why I really enjoy Halloween 3).
      Having said that, I’m somewhat intrigued by the new movie. I’ve always disliked the sibling angle (the randomness of how/why the Shape chose his victims is freakier IMO) so the fact that seems to be jettisoned has me interested.
      Carpenter being an executive producer means nothing, but doing the score would be awesome. His new music (Lost Themes) has been really good, and I think he’ll actually put in the effort with the score - not just a pay check for cigs and beer!
      Hey, it can’t be any worse than Resurrection or RZ’s remake (I actually kinda, sorta enjoyed RZ’s H2).

Comment

It's the other way around for me: I spent years defending Rob Zombie's Halloween, but I think the sequel was a train wreck.

Comment

The sequel is a train wreck, I agree, but less so than the remake. #2 is so bizarre, but at least RZ was able to do his own thing. And it has some nice cinematography. Could’ve done without either of them, though.

Comment

They're not films that I've felt the need to revisit as time has gone on, I confess. I still feel a draw to watch the original franchise, but I could take or leave Zombie's contributions.

Comment

http://collider.com/halloween-reboot...s-nick-castle/

Nick Castle to return as The Shape in Halloween 2018. Got another stuntman to back him up in the physical scenes. Don’t completely know how to feel about this yet. Nostalgia overload, maybe?

Comment

I mean does it really matter who is under the mask in a non-speaking killer role?

Comment

No, not really. Essentially he's a puppet for the director.

Comment

I think it's cool. Given that they've brought back Jamie Lee Curtis again, and that this is supposed to be a sequel to the original film, I like the idea of an age-appropriate actor playing Michael. I joked on Facebook about whether or not they'd touch on the fact that Michael ought to be in his late 60s at this point. And at the very least we have an actor of the correct age under the mask.

I think in this case it does matter who wears the mask. When you see a close-up of Michael's hands, it'll be the hands of a 70 year old man. He'll carry himself like a 70 year old man; the body language and posture will reflect all of that. And I think, given that this is a followup to the original film 40 years down the line, these sorts of things matter.

I'm really interested to see how Castle performs the role this time.
                    Last edited by Genes of the Dead; 01-03-2018, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Genes of the Dead View Post
                      It's the other way around for me: I spent years defending Rob Zombie's Halloween, but I think the sequel was a train wreck.
                      I prefer the sequel over the remake. It's his own thing, far more original and what the remake should have felt like, IMO.

As for the new movie, I am obviously excited about it, I think it's amazing that Jamie Lee Curtis is returning, and I feel it is going to be as great as --if not better than H20. Of course, in terms of continuity, the timeline of the franchise will become even more convoluted with this new entry, but I also feel that, as fans, we should have accepted the fact that the Halloween franchise has a convoluted timeline a long time ago: Halloween 3 - Season of the Witch, Thorn, direct sequel to H20 that ignores the previous entries, remakes.

Comment

I'm in a wait and see type of mode. I'm excited in that its a new Halloween movie, and that's always welcome, but I don't necessarily believe its gonna be a good Halloween movie yet. We've all heard this song and dance with "Oh, we're going back the roots of the franchise and gonna make it like the good old days again!", then the movie doesn't deliver as we expect.

Comment

I wish I was more excited about this. Maybe the trailer (whenever it gets here) will kick my ass.

Comment

It’s supposed to start shooting this month in S.C. Maybe some pics from the set soon?

Comment

Nick Castle returning?

HALLOWEEN: the night HE doddered home

Still, I suppose for nostalgia's sake I'm in.

Comment

Working...
                              X