No announcement yet.

Random Horror Thoughts: The Lament Configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am glad to find out you have such an appreciation for the obscure side of horror and its an acquired taste for sure. lol I have a Roku and I use the search option that searches ALL of the channels available on Roku to scan by name. I was surprised when I searched actors names like Franco Nero or Ivan Rassimov and got like 15 available films for each. I found the original Django (1966) in this way. I don't know why I have waited this long to watch this classic but it was wonderful. Same thing for directors like Lenzi, Fulci, Argento, Franco and Rollin. Speaking of Rollin, have you seen Zombie Lake (1979)? There is a scene where a lady who has survived a zombie attack while skinny dipping runs into the local pub and faints half nude. The scene is so ridiculous there is a female actor in the back ground obviously holding back laughter. On Ebay I recently bid $15 on a VHS copy but it went up to $50 when the auction closed. My wife thinks I'm nuts for being into this kind of film but what do you say to someone who would prefer to watch The Real Housewives of whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmojo View Post
      I have a Roku
      Have you tried B-Movie TV and Shockwerks yet? They're definitely worth a look if you like obscure horror. Really great channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmojo View Post
        I am glad to find out you have such an appreciation for the obscure side of horror and its an acquired taste for sure. lol I have a Roku and I use the search option that searches ALL of the channels available on Roku to scan by name. I was surprised when I searched actors names like Franco Nero or Ivan Rassimov and got like 15 available films for each. I found the original Django (1966) in this way. I don't know why I have waited this long to watch this classic but it was wonderful. Same thing for directors like Lenzi, Fulci, Argento, Franco and Rollin. Speaking of Rollin, have you seen Zombie Lake (1979)? There is a scene where a lady who has survived a zombie attack while skinny dipping runs into the local pub and faints half nude. The scene is so ridiculous there is a female actor in the back ground obviously holding back laughter. On Ebay I recently bid $15 on a VHS copy but it went up to $50 when the auction closed. My wife thinks I'm nuts for being into this kind of film but what do you say to someone who would prefer to watch The Real Housewives of whatever.
        Wow, Zombie Lake takes me back to 2000 or 2001 when I was a friend who purchased the DVD at Media Play. Sounds like ancient times. I do remember the scene you described as it was so entertaining for the wrong reasons. I want to say Zombie Lake originally had Jess Franco attached to direct it, but he had to bail out at the last minute so Jean Rollin was quickly brought in. That may explain why it doesn't feel like any other Rollin film.

I totally get spending money on VHS tapes. It's a collector's thing, a retro thing, a trip down memory lane thing. It's a lot of things. There's a huge used movie / books / record store nearby and every so often I spot a cool horror vhs. I have to fight off the urge to pick 'em up as I don't want to go down that road. I don't have enough room as it is since last summer I started back into comics somewhat due to that same store selling taking whatever they're brought that isn't bagged and boarded and tossing it in the 25 cent box. The upside is that I'm close to finishing up two of my Superman runs. The bad news is that I've lost so much room.

When it comes to Roku, Sagittarius is your man. He's used one to explore the interwebs for all kinds of hidden gems.
        People hyping up Wonder Woman to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen bigfoot rip off a man's dick before." -Me talking about 1980's Night of the Demon.

Comment

Sagittarius, I have tried B Movie TV but it seems like it’s just loaded with public domain films. Maybe it has a monthly subscription that if paid you get a different line up.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	jhlgokg.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	923

Chex... Here is a trip down memory lane for you at top right.
            Attached Files

Comment

Zombie Lake is awesome in its badness!!

Comment

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should look around and see if I still have my DVD of it or not.
                People hyping up Wonder Woman to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen bigfoot rip off a man's dick before." -Me talking about 1980's Night of the Demon.

Comment

So I decided that this summer, I'm going through the Crown library to revisit some old favorites and finally cross off the ones I haven't seen. I don't think I'm going to do anything nearly as in-depth as I did with the teen comedy topic I did at the old board. Maybe I'll cheat and re-post those old write-ups though as I still have them. All the pictures are still in my photobucket account, but I'd have to transfer them over to the computer and then find a new hosting site. That sounds like too much work.

Comment

I watched a double feature of Don't Look in the Basement and Don't Open the Door this evening. Basement lived up to its regional low-budget grindhouse sort of feel, but I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed Door as well. You never hear anyone talk about it although maybe it has to do with that downer of an ending. Still, it's neat to see Gene Ross (Earl from Halloween IV) in both movies as two different characters that share the same name.

Comment

Obsessed with American Horror Story and Bates Motel. Nowadays, I don't watch anything else other than these 2 shows (thanks, Netflix). I don't like purchasing physical media anymore, but I loved seasons 2 and 3 of American Horror Story so much that I bought them. To complete my DVD collection of favorite American Horror Story seasons, I only need season 5, Hotel. I thought I was going to hate Hotel, but it is one of the most glamorous and scariest seasons. Evan Peters shines in his role and, surprisingly, Lady Gaga is an excellent actress. She delivered a great, brilliant performance that earned her a Golden Globe. I do miss Jessica Lange. She delivered brilliant performances during the first four seasons. It is a shame that she quit the show to return to Broadway. In any event, I am grateful to Ryan Murphy for introducing an actress of her caliber to my generation. I used to say that I hated Ryan Murphy. How wrong I was! Man is a genius.

Comment

A lesbian vampire couple waylay and abduct various passer-byes, both male and female, to hold them captive at their rural manor in the English countryside in order to kill and feed on them to satisfy their insatiable thirst for blood.
                        I followed up this evening's Vengeance of the Zombies with 1974's Vampyres. It's a slow burn and there's not much of a mystery to unravel, but I found myself drawn into it. Considering the movie repeats itself several times over, that's saying something. The only unexpected moment is the ending. It seemed to imply the lead male (the man used as a blood bank) dreamed the entire situation over the course of an evening due to drinking heavily and the guilt of shooting the two women (I suspect one was his wife). The real estate agent babbles on about how criminals come back to the scene of the crime, the man's attire looked a little different than when we last saw him, and the hotel clerk recognized him from a few years ago before he split town. Someone once described the movie to me as "haunting" and I now wonder if he meant that in a manner about how the man is consumed by his past deeds and is mentally suffering rather than the assumed description of the movie having a ghostly feel to it.

I had a good time with Vampyres and it makes me want to re-watch his other film I have, Black Candles. I know Symptoms was released, but I'm dragging my feet on picking it up. I've read nothing but good things about it. The House That Vanished (with its ad campaign a direct lift of The Last House on the Left) is getting a release soon from Code Red. Or was that Dark Force? Maybe they're the same company. I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Genes of the Dead View Post
                          So I like how Hellraiser II just sort of ignores the rules of the first.

The whole "It is not hands that call us, it is desire!" is a really convenient way of keeping the mute girl out of the Cenobite's hands at the middle point of the film. That shit certainly didn't work of Kirsty in the original film. She had no more clue what she was doing with the box than the mute girl did, but they still wanted to drag her ass to hell anyway. #CenobiteHypocrisy
                          I think the difference between Kirsty and Tiffany was that Kirsty had a real desire to solve the box. She was curious about it and why it was so important to Frank, and that curiosity led her to play with it. I guess that's all the Cenobites needed. She's a bit like Channard. She wanted to see and to know, and now she has seen and she does know, and she's lived to regret it.

Tiffany, on the other hand apparently solved the puzzle purely on impulse. She felt no real desire for what it offered or even curiosity about what happened when it was solved. I get the impression that she wasn't really thinking about it, she just did it.

But, notice that she's later lured into Hell by that circus music. I guess they found the right buttons to push.
                          Last edited by Darth Reaper; 03-19-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Reaper View Post

I think the difference between Kirsty and Tiffany was that Kirsty had a real desire to solve the box. She was curious about it and why it was so important to Frank, and that curiosity led her to play with it. I guess that's all the Cenobites needed. She's a bit like Channard. She wanted to see and to know, and now she has seen and she does know, and she's lived to regret it.

Tiffany, on the other hand apparently solved the puzzle purely on impulse. She felt no real desire for what it offered or even curiosity about what happened when it was solved. I get the impression that she wasn't really thinking about it, she just did it.

But, notice that she's later lured into Hell by that circus music. I guess they found the right buttons to push.
                            I agree with your interpretation. Tiffany was tricked and used by Dr. Channard.

Comment

Gemser time!

Comment

That feeling when you come home to discover boxes of goodies in the mail (plus a box from the day before).

Some of these are upgrades. The Witcher is a surprisingly enjoyable regional, low-budget movie with a location that resembles The Evil Dead. Plus, it has Patricia Wymer. Ghostkeeper invokes that same out-of-the-way atmosphere and is a fantastic Winter watch.I think of Sweet Baby Charlie more as The Sadist and easily recommend it to anyone who is only aware of Arch Hall, Jr. from Eegah. I especially like to show it to people that think of Hall from the MST3K episode and watch their reaction. The man can summon vicious sleaze when needed! I've only seen The Lost World on a cheapie Alpha Disco so the restoration should be a revelation of sorts. It also has several shorts by Willis O'Brien that I'm interested in. Lastly is Night of the Living Dead, my favorite George Romero film and a strong contender for top zombie film. I can't believe it's received the Criterion treatment. I remember when our household bought some crappy VHS copy in the late 80s. To think it's come this far.

I also picked up some titles I've been wanting to see. I know Night School is not going to be a masterpiece of the slasher sub-genre, but I saw that VHS countless times at the local mom & pop store and later at the video store I worked at yet I never rented it. The Slayer is a movie I know little about, but I found Arrow's release of The Mutilator and Blood Rage to be highly entertaining so hopefully this follows the trend. At the very least, the extras sound enticing. Slithis and Slaughterhouse Rock are films I've seen the trailers to for over a decade now so, what the hell, time to finally check 'em out. The Trailer Trauma series has delivered such fun with each installment that I can't skip out on an entry devoted entirely to television spots. I know I've been warned about The Satanist, I mean the entire film is narrated, but I've got to see it for myself. Maybe when the mood hits me just right.

Oh, and Amazon finally put The Fugitive box set on sale. It should be a great addition to my Sunday night "crime / mystery" line-up. I'm looking forward to it. Now to figure out how to find the time to sit down and indulge in these.
                                Last edited by Chex; 03-27-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X