• Show
Clear All

• The Mutilator (1984)

Title The Mutilator
    Year 1984
    Rated R
    Released 04 Jan 1985
    Runtime 86 min
    Director Buddy Cooper, John Douglass(co-director)
    Writer Buddy Cooper
    Actors Matt Mitler, Ruth Martinez, Bill Hitchcock, Connie Rogers
    Plot A group of teenagers decide to take a vacation at the beach house of one of their fathers. The kid whose father owns the house just happened to accidentally kill his mother when he was a child. When they get to the house, the father has mysteriously disappeared. Hmmm...
    Language English
    Country USA
    Awards N/A
    Production N/A
    Website N/A
    .................................................. ..........................
    10 - Totally Rad!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    66.67%
    33.33%
    5 - It's Alright.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Ugh!
    0%
    Last edited by Chex; 04-17-2018, 02:49 AM.
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

I remember watching this closely around the same time when Arrow released Blood Rage and thinking it would make a for a fun double feature. It's starts off like a teen comedy and could easily have continued so before diverging into slasher territory. What I remember vividly is one of the sadistic kills in all the 80's era slasher films involving a woman and a hook.
    People hyping up latest comic book movie to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen Bigfoot rip off a man's dick before in 1980's Night of the Demon."

Comment

Gave this a spin for my second viewing and, wow, I forgot many of the details. For example, it opens with a P.S.A. message about not keeping loaded guns in the house. it's startling how involved a child is in murder. One is a young boy accidentally shooting someone. The father of the young boy later has a dream about shooting his son and also a dream about slicing his throat open with an axe. Damn!

It's also a bit slower than I remember. I'm not talking The Prowler slow, but it keeps a tempered pace throughout the entire running time. There are only so many kills so they're spaced out and what's left is spending time with the goofy cast. Your tolerance for slasher genre characters with the usual acting skill will play a major factor in how much entertainment you'll find. Myself, I still found it enjoyable. It's also littered with typical slasher elements such as horny male characters, isolated teens, a supernatural psycho killer, board game antics, the final girl also a virgin, and the worthless final guy. It doesn't break the mold, but that's ok. It's like comfort food in genre form. Best of all, although released in 1984, it has that early 80's look making it feel more like a product of the late 70's.

The effects are created by Mark Shostrom of Phantasm II and Evil Dead II fame so they're top notch. I watched the Arrow Video release so the bloody moments were as gruesome as possible. I'd say they're comparable to what you see in Blood Rage. There's one kill involving a woman and hook that actually makes me squirm. It's downright vicious and the movie makes no apology in shoving it in your face. Make no mistake, the others are just as painful, but this is unique even for the slasher genre, causing it to stick it.

The opening credits to this movie are hilarious. Check it out. If you only saw the credits, you'd think the movie was something akin to Malibu Beach or some other teen sex comedy. I wish there were two versions of this film: one as a slasher and the other following this gang of misfits as wacky college hi-jinks ensue. If you enjoyed that song, then you're in for a treat as it appears during the end credits.

Unlike some of regional horror movies which star actors that immediately drop out of show business, there's quite a few that continued on. Matt Mitler from Basket Case 2, Deadtime Stories, and Breeders is the leading man. I guess he's the leading man. He doesn't actually do much of anything other than bring an unintentional level of humor to the film as he looks similar to David Hess. No worries though as he doesn't spontaneously try to rape anyone. Also from Breeders is Frances Raines. If you've seen Breeders then you know who I'm talking about. She's also in Disconnected. Ok, I lied--this was everyone else's first and only movie with the exception of Ben Moore (She Freak and Two Thousand Maniacs!) as the cop who appears at the wrong time and the wrong place. It does have a guy who sounds like Andy from Twin Peaks as the "hunk" of the group. The guy on the far left in the group photo above is him.

Probably a bit slower paced for many, but I still recommended it for those in the mood of an early 80's slasher that stays within conventions. You know what you're getting into and what it provides is better than other efforts in the genre.

Comment

100% agreed about the lead's resemblance to David Hess.

I have a huge crush on Frances Raines. She's so cute, even in the scene where she made the disgusting suggestion of eating that nasty fish with some lemon (because OMG SEAFOOD IS NOT OK). She's actually a very capable actress as Disconnected shows, but you wouldn't know it from this movie. Still, I'm always bummed when she dies early.

The Arrow release looks great. Looping that ridiculous Fall Break song over the disc menu was also an inspired choice.

Comment

Seafood is awesome! Guess we can't be friends anymore.

Oh hey, a fan of Frances Raines! It's like we're best buddies again.

I still need to check out Disconnected. Maybe the upcoming Vinegar Syndrome sale will be the moment.

That song...that fuckin' song. Gotta love how it's such an opposite tune compared to the tone of the movie.

Comment

You should totally grab Disconnected while you can. So, so great. I think the VS disc looks as good as it possibly can. It's probably the grainiest blu ray I have. But the film is just indescribable. I've seen it dozens of times and I'm still not sure what it's about. Frances looks gorgeous throughout and you'll be surprised how good she was with the right material to work with.

Seafood...noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! #neverfish

Comment

I've already got a long list of titles to nab that I've been neglecting. Some are already on sale at Amazon, but others could be cheaper during the sale at VS. Because I totally need another copy of My Chauffeur in my collection....

...where the fuck is The Van and Van Nuys Blvd. at? Also, now Horror High may not come out? Ugh.

Comment

I watched The Mutilator today after not haven seen it since the 90’s. The beginning where the kid accidentally shoots his mom in the beginning is what I remembered most. I have to say these college kids in this one are way goofy and I loved how every other scene that takes place before the carnage begins has this “tender moment” sound to it.

Comment

What about when the David Hess looking character shows everyone the stuff in his dad's place? His dad has a photo of some random schmuck that he accidentally maimed. Not only did he take a photo of it, he has it framed and sitting on the shelf!

I think a drinking game could be made every time one of the kids went to check out the garage.

Comment

Working...
                  X