Title Blood Rage
    Year 1987
    Rated NOT RATED
    Released 01 May 1987
    Runtime 82 min
    Director John Grissmer
    Writer Bruce Rubin
    Actors Louise Lasser, Mark Soper, Julie Gordon, Jayne Bentzen
    Plot Twins Todd and Terry seem like sweet boys that is, until one of them takes an axe to face of a fellow patron at the local drive-in. Todd is blamed for the bloody crime and institutionalized, whilst twin brother Terry goes free. Ten years later and, as the family gathers around the table for a Thanksgiving meal, the news comes in that Todd has escaped. But has the real killer in fact been in their midst all along? One thing's for sure, there will be blood and rage!
    Language English
    Country USA
    Awards N/A
    Production N/A
    Website N/A
    .................................................. ..........................
    People hyping up Wonder Woman to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen bigfoot rip off a man's dick before." -Me talking about 1980's Night of the Demon.

I haven't seen this one yet but with a plot that ends in "
    One thing's for sure, there will be blood and rage!" its got to be good!

Comment

It's surprisingly a lot of fun although it is a bit goofy and outlandish at times while poking fun at Louise Lasser's character and show Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.
      People hyping up Wonder Woman to be the GOAT and I'm like "psshh, you guys must not have seen bigfoot rip off a man's dick before." -Me talking about 1980's Night of the Demon.

Comment

Ok, I am not even half way through watching Blood Rage and I had to come here and thank you for posting this one! I died about 18 minutes in when the doctor and her assistant wielding a Ruger .22 that fires tranquilizer darts bang on the door and the mom screams "what is that gun?" lol Its like everyone cant wait to say their lines at this point. The dad interjects he would like to help and before you know it people are splitting up in stupid ways and the female doctor even says "ill go check in the woods!" Soon you also realize the kids machete is sharp as a samurai sword. I will get this in DVD!

Comment

That's not cranberry sauce!!

Take a drink every time that is said. Dang, I may have to try and squeeze this in sometime this week along with Eyes of a Stranger as it's been too long.

The Arrow release is a combo pack so you should be good there. Plus, it has tons of extras.

Comment

Awww... Can't believe the end!

Comment

Need to see this one. Wish I had more time to devote to watching these gems.

Comment

I highly recommend it!! This is an example of why the data base is going to be a great addition to the forums. I love scrolling through it looking for titles I have not seen. If Chex took the time to post it, I’m figuring it must be worth me trying it out and I am so glad I did with this one. When others start posting we will be adding new taste to the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmojo View Post
                  I highly recommend it!! This is an example of why the data base is going to be a great addition to the forums. I love scrolling through it looking for titles I have not seen. If Chex took the time to post it, I’m figuring it must be worth me trying it out and I am so glad I did with this one. When others start posting we will be adding new taste to the pot.
                  Oh. Well, now I feel bad as I was simply looking a row of movies on my shelf and adding them in. That's why there was a bunch of films staring with the letter "B" added at the same time.

Comment

I some how picked a good one!

Comment

I'm glad you enjoyed it and it's always cool to help spread the awareness of films like this. I might see if I can't re-watch this soon. I know the first Arrow release has a different cut of the movie, but I'll be damned if I can remember what the differences are.

Comment

You know what makes it easy for me to like a movie? Seeing a drive-in theater. There’s something taking your own personal hideaway to see a movie, hopefully something schlocky, and getting up to no good. That’s exactly how Blood Rage begins.

The short version of the story involves two twin boys named Terry and Todd. Their mother is about to engage in some love making with her boyfriend and one of the boys takes offense to this. He’s so enraged, he finds some other hapless schmuck who’s in cahoots with this girl and tosses a hatchet into his skull. The boy then blames his twin for the murder. One boy is tossed into a mental institution while the other lives a carefree life…until one Thanksgiving. The mental patient escapes on the same night the twins’ mother becomes engaged. Of course, that angers the killer son who ventures on another murder spree with the hopes of pinning the crimes yet again on his twin.

There are good slasher movies and there are bad slasher movies. Then there are bad slasher movies that are good (read: entertaining) for being so bad. It would be easy to place Blood Rage in the so-bad-it’s-good category, but I won’t. Usually the acting isn’t so hot, but I don’t think that applies here. It’s serviceable yet many scenes carry a sense of humor. At times, it’s intentional. Take the Thanksgiving meal scene for example. While one person carves up the turkey, the rest of dinner guests look on. The Mother tells everyone to dig in and enjoy the food. What do they do? They stare at her with confusion. She then directs them towards all the other dishes full of food in which the group give out a collective acknowledgement. It’s the little moments like this that make up most of the laughs.

Yet there are times when I question if the humor is unintentional. Again, the acting is fine, but the dialogue lags. If you have a skillful actor, maybe they can make it work. Not so much here. Want an example? The way one of the girls tells her friends about meeting the “evil” twin. She keeps repeating about how he had a “wile expression in his eyes” or some nonsense. Also, when the twins do battle, I wonder if they knew the stand-ins and their wigs looked absolutely nothing like the original actor or if they truly thought it could pass. I mean, it’s more obvious than the stand-ins for William Shatner in the original Star Trek show.

Then comes Louise Lasser. If you’re familiar with her role in TV’s Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, then you may appreciate her performance here. Otherwise, it’s ludicrous. Her scenes are mostly used to show transition periods and that time has passed. One sequence is just her sitting in front of a fridge eating leftovers. Another is of her cleaning the oven. She spends much of her onscreen time calling her fiancé and crying for no reason considering she could walk all of 3 minutes down the road to his place. People either love or hate her. I find her funny, but I’ll admit a little goes a long way.

Acting? In a slasher movie? Who cares about that! It’s all about the blood! The gore by Ed French (Sleepaway Camp, Amityville 2: The Possession) is visceral and in your face so no worries there. There’s plenty of it as well and because the story moves at a quick pace, you get it every so often.

It turns out that Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers is not the first slasher movie to have a woman running away from the killer and hiding the baby in a bathroom. Also, the baby’s real name is Lauren Myers. Blood Rage beat it by 12 years. Well, 8 years. It was filmed in 1983, but not released until 1987 so everyone still has that early to mid-80’s look. It also means it’s a slasher without supernatural elements so if you want pure human carnage then you’re in luck.

Two quick mentions and I’m done. The first is that Blood Rage has one of the best synth scores in a slasher movie. Just listen:

Lastly, it has Ted Raimi selling condoms in a drive-in bathroom. Where else are you going to see that?

Comment

Working...
                        X