This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to post here

First of all, thank you for contributing!

If you want to add movies here you'll need the movie-fetch.xlsm excel macro-enabled workbook. This pulls the movie info togetehr in a standard format so that you do not need to type it or copy and paste it all in manually.

You can get it by sending me a PM. It requires you to be running at least Excel 2013. It may give you a few warnings from your anti-virus/firewall - it's a type of excel workbook that allows additional programming to be run. The only additional code has been put in by me for the purposes of extracting the data. It also creates an external connection to a web source of movie info, again, it ONLY extracts movie data and nothing else.

So, a quick guide on how to add a movie...

Step 1:
    Open up movie-fetch. xlsm

Click image for larger version  Name:	a.png Views:	1 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	1437

Step 2:
    Type yourmovie title and the year of release. IMPORTANT! You must spell the movie title correctly and in full. The year must also be correct. Check IMDB if you're getting film not found errors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	b.png Views:	1 Size:	31.9 KB ID:	1438

Step 3:
    Hit the FETCH MOVIE INFO button. You may see the sheets flicker/expand/etc - this is normal and is just the macro doing its work. It will unhide some sheets, create connection to the data source, create a query table for that datasource, copy the info, close and delete the connection and query, format the info and then finally copy it to your clipboard. When it's done (maybe a few seconds) it'll pop you up a message telling you the text has been copied to your clipboard. DO NOT COPY ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL STEP 5 IS COMPLETE.

Click image for larger version  Name:	c.png Views:	1 Size:	15.7 KB ID:	1439

Step 4:
    Come to the Horror Movie Database section and hit the + NEW TOPIC button
    Click image for larger version  Name:	d.png Views:	1 Size:	15.3 KB ID:	1440

Step 5:
    The title for the topic must be the movie title followed by the year in brackets, e.g. Friday the 13th (1980) or Halloween (1978). Then click into the main post box and either right click -> paste, or press ctlr+v to paste in the text from excel. Please note that it will look liek the example below (not very presentable). DON'T WORRY! This is normal and you do not need to edit it, in fact I'd discourage it! This code will be interpreted by the board and create the lovely table layout you wanted, and automatically pull the movie poster in.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	e.png Views:	1 Size:	56.6 KB ID:	1441
    STEP 6:
    Hit the POST button and you're done!

Questions? Reply to this thread and I'll be back to you as soon as I can.

Final output will look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	f.png
Views:	1
Size:	694.0 KB
ID:	1443

Comment

Working...
    X